NRC Thinks Japan Unit Pressure Vessel Damaged, Markey Says, Bloomberg, April 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm EDT:
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission thinks the reactor in unit 2 of Japan’s disabled power plant got so hot it “probably melted through the reactor pressure vessel,” U.S. Representative Edward Markey said. …
Martin Virgilio, the agency’s deputy director for reactor and preparedness programs, told reporters after a House hearing today that the commission doesn’t think the “core has breached,” which would let radiation escape. …
Giselle Barry, a spokeswoman for Markey, said information on the status of the unit 2 reactor came from correspondence between his staff and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. …
Read the report here.
See the redacted correspondence between Markey and the NRC here.
Published: April 6th, 2011 at 7:07 pm ET
- NHK: “The unimaginable was happening” — Workers say part of Reactor 2 containment vessel destroyed — After alarming pressure readings, “we heard a loud bang… pressure is now zero” (VIDEO) August 18, 2012
- Pressure doubles inside Reactor No. 2 containment vessel since start of April — Tepco making effort to reduce pressure April 24, 2012
- Experts assuming Reactor 2 had cracked containment vessel that allowed releases directly from melted nuclear core — Radioactive plume was blown south (VIDEO) July 24, 2012
- Tepco: Another thermometer breaks at Fukushima — Now only one left at bottom of Reactor No. 2 pressure vessel April 15, 2012
- No. 2 reactor “is not being cooled”… water not getting into core — Containment and reactor do not have integrity, gases being emitted out of top (VIDEO) April 19, 2011