Letter to Food and Drug Administration
Congressman Edward Markey, (D-MA)
June 1, 2012
In the weeks after these events, monitors [in the United States] detected trace amounts of radioactive iodine, cesium and tellerium consistent with the Japanese nuclear incident. The levels detected were below levels of concern, but how precipitation of radioactive elements from the atmosphere may have affected radiation levels in the marine environment was unknown.
Democrat worried about tainted seafood from Japan’s nuclear meltdown
June 1, 2012
A House Democrat is asking federal regulators what they plan to do about Pacific seafood tainted with radiation from last year’s meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.
[Rep. Edward Markey] the leading Democrat on the House Natural Resources Committee and a senior member on Energy and Commerce, posed a series of questions to the FDA and the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration on regulators’ response to the Fukushima crisis and its impact on the U.S. food supply.
He asked specifically for “a listing of all instances of species found to have elevated levels of radioactive isotopes” since Fukushima and any plans to study the event’s long-term impact on Pacific seafood.
Published: June 2nd, 2012 at 12:27 am ET
- US Gov’t: If exposed to radioactive fallout watch for unknown bruising, nosebleeds, nausea, sore throat, loss of hair, diarrhea — “Make the best of it… don’t be discouraged” (VIDEO) September 22, 2012
- Canadian scientists detect “significant” concentrations of radioactive material off West Coast, levels double in months since last test — Marine Chemist: “Much greater concern” over Fukushima releases that will be hitting shores of US & Canada; Lack of data “really disturbing” (AUDIO) November 10, 2014
- Chemist: Dangerously elevated hydrocarbons in sinkhole sludge — Levels may be in flammable range September 21, 2012
- Major science meeting on Fukushima’s link to wildlife problems on West Coast — Looking closely at extent of radiation coming into affected areas, and how to best assess impact — Human health experts ‘reevaluating’ radiation limits in seafood… FDA levels ‘not terribly protective’ (VIDEO) August 27, 2014
- AP: Marine birds disappearing in Pacific Northwest — Significant ecological shift, crashes in many species — “Something’s happening on a big level, but what is it” — Herring problem may be far worse than revealed… result of contamination? Mexico suddenly bans bluefin tuna fishing, US may be next July 28, 2014