Kyodo News, September 1, 2013: Very high radiation levels were observed Saturday at three tanks and one of the pipes connecting them at the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, pointing to the possibility that radioactive water may have newly leaked, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said. The radiation readings were from 70 to 1,800 millisieverts per hour [...]
JIJI PRESS, Aug. 31, 2013: Saturday’s highest reading [of 1,800 millisieverts per hour] was measured at one of the two tanks, with the radiation level jumping from 100 millisieverts.
CBS News, Aug. 28, 2013 (Emphasis Added): “What’s important is not the number itself but to give a basic idea about the extent of the problem,” authority chairman Shunichi Tanaka said [...] Tanaka said there is a much larger ongoing problem at the plant: massive amounts of contaminated ground water reaching the sea. But that problem cannot even be rated under the IAEA’s International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale because it is unknown exactly how much ground water is escaping, how contaminated it is and what effect it is having on the sea and marine products. [...] “I’m baffled,” he said.
WSJ, Aug. 28, 2013: “It could be much more or much less,” [Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority] added, saying that Tepco calculated the amount based on the assumption that the tank had been full. [...] A Tepco spokeswoman said “it’s true that we calculated 300 tons. We cannot say whether we will or we won’t change it later.”
NHK, Aug. 30, 2013: Major leak [...] releasing several quadrillion becquerels of radioactive particles [...] the government needs to take charge entirely.
From last week: 'Growing Alarm': 25 trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material leaks into ground -- Kyodo News Advisory: Exact source of extreme contamination unknown; Tank missing 300,000 liters (VIDEO)
Published: August 31st, 2013 at 4:14 pm ET
- Top Japan Nuclear Official: Remove Tepco from being in charge at Fukushima Daiichi — “It is simply too big for one company to handle” July 29, 2013
- TV: “Extremely high levels of radioactive substances” leaked Wednesday night at Fukushima plant — 25 trillion becquerels of Strontium-90 and other beta emitters estimated to have flowed out — “Investigation is still underway” (VIDEO) February 19, 2014
- 10 trillion becquerels per hour of radiation currently being released from Fukushima plant: Researcher (VIDEO) August 18, 2011
- Kyodo: Fearing Fukushima plant would flood, workers opened barriers — Amount of contamination released ‘unknown’ — TV: Japan media questioning if radioactivity levels were measured before pumping into ocean; Tepco now under investigation September 16, 2013
- “Once-in-a-decade typhoon” on path for Fukushima — Top Official: Giant tanks of nuclear-contaminated waste at risk of being destroyed — Winds near 200 kilometers per hour — Gov’t: Water can be released into ocean — WSJ: ‘Monster’ bearing down on plant (PHOTO) October 15, 2013