Georgia Straight, Feb. 15, 2014: First Nations want radiation testing of fish – Caption: Reuben George is one of several First Nations leaders worried about radiation levels in salmon. [...] North Shore News has reported that several First Nations leaders—including Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs president Grand Chief Stewart Phillip and Tahlton Central Council president Annita McPhee—want the federal government to conduct systematic tests of radiation levels in fish from the Pacific Ocean. Reuben George, a well-known member of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, told the paper that he’s personally reluctant to eat fish.
CBS San Francisco, Feb. 12, 2014:
- KPIX: Now at 6:30, the teachings from a famous ocean explorer about radiation risks […] one of the foremost experts on the world’s oceans no longer eats certain kinds of fish.
- Jean-Michel Cousteau: We’re using the ocean as a garbage can — a universal sewer.
- KPIX: And the ocean’s affecting us. Cousteau’s keeping an eye on reports of radiation from the Fukushima disaster reaching California shoreline, but he chooses his words carefully.
- Cousteau: The concentration of radioactivity, it is overblown. Does that mean it’s not potentially dangerous? It is.
- KPIX: It’s overall pollution which has him swearing off some ocean fish like bluefin tuna.
- Cousteau: I’m not touching it anymore, I’m done.
Published: February 16th, 2014 at 8:27 pm ET
- Leaders on West Coast: Gov’t is “highly irresponsible… very negligent” for not testing in Pacific as Fukushima radiation arrives — Contamination of seafood is going to happen — “We don’t want to get cancer… We have a right to know if our fish is safe” — Gov’t: Testing ‘not required’ February 8, 2014
- Video of Insane-sized Tuna: Monster fish was targeted for radiation tests before being caught — “It’s exactly the size our scientists wanted” (VIDEO) September 9, 2012
- Gundersen: I’m now not eating Pacific Ocean fish — Bio-accumulation of Fukushima nuclear waste concerning — Effects of lower-level radiation worse than predicted (VIDEO) January 9, 2014
- TV: Gov’t not measuring worst of Fukushima radiation — Over 100 Million gallons of radioactive water bleeding into ocean from plant — We’re beginning to see radiation in west coast water — Very concerned about eating fish from Pacific (VIDEO) April 1, 2014
- Canada TV: New concerns about radiation levels in fish from Pacific — “These numbers are just staggering” — Contamination up considerably — “It’s a major event worldwide” (VIDEO) October 7, 2013