AP: Cooling systems were restored for four fuel storage pools at Japan’s tsunami-damaged nuclear plant, more than a day after a power outage halted the supply of fresh cooling water and raised concerns about the safety of the facility, which still relies on makeshift equipment. [...] “We don’t believe the Fukushima disaster is under control,” said Yuko Endo, chief of nearby Kawauchi village, part of which remains restricted because of radiation contamination, keeping hundreds of residents away from their homes. Officials are struggling to make the area livable again, but people cannot return home unless they feel confident about the plant’s stability, he said.
NYTimes: Crucial Cooling Systems Restored at Fukushima Plant, Company Says [...] The latest problem raised new fears about the continuing vulnerability of the plant, which suffered a triple meltdown two years ago and still relies on makeshift equipment. [...] The latest troubles also underscore the continuing worries about the safety of the plant [...] In particular, experts have warned that the makeshift cooling systems could be knocked out by another large earthquake. [...] With the company as the only source of information, it was impossible to independently assess the conditions at the plant, which sits in a contaminated zone that is closed to the public.
Published: March 19th, 2013 at 6:44 pm ET
- Power still not restored at Fukushima Unit 3 fuel pool and Common Fuel Pool — No fresh cooling water for over a day — Tepco: Extremely sorry it took so long to announce blackout March 19, 2013
- Kyodo: Terror drill at Fukushima nuclear plant — Fears about ‘highly fragile’ cooling systems May 11, 2013
- Japan Author: Fukushima disaster “impossible to control” — Senior Scientist: The sheer number of things going wrong… they’ve never solved any problems — Mutual Fund: Officials never regained control at plant December 3, 2013
- Kyodo: Alarm sounds at Fukushima plant, Unit 4 cooling system stops (VIDEO) February 24, 2014
- Anonymous Senior Tepco Employee: No one knows what to do at Fukushima, it’s impossible to fix — Reactors not under control — “We just can’t deal with the melted fuel” March 10, 2014