Japan Encourages a Wider Evacuation From Reactor Area (mirror), New York Times, March 25, 2011:
Concerns about Reactor No. 3 have surfaced before. Japanese officials said nine days ago that the reactor vessel may have been damaged. …
A senior nuclear executive who insisted on anonymity but has broad contacts in Japan said that there was a long vertical crack running down the side of the reactor vessel itself. The crack runs down below the water level in the reactor and has been leaking fluids and gases, he said.
The severity of the radiation burns to the injured workers are consistent with contamination by water that had been in contact with damaged fuel rods, the executive said.
“There is a definite, definite crack in the vessel — it’s up and down and it’s large,” he said. “The problem with cracks is they do not get smaller.” …
Read the report here.
Published: March 25th, 2011 at 6:02 pm ET
- Melted fuel in Reactor No. 3 appears to have burned through pressure vessel — Loaded with rods containing plutonium May 18, 2011
- “Most” of the fuel at Reactor No. 3 may have breached vessel after melting down twice August 8, 2011
- TV: High-level radiation leak at Fukushima reactor thought to be from “cracks in containment vessel” — “Even more radioactive than expected” — Salt corrosion may have led to breach (VIDEO) January 21, 2014
- Nuclear expert: “Water is literally pouring out of the side” of reactor containment (VIDEO) April 25, 2011
- KYODO NEWS ADVISORY at 10:27 pm: Government says No. 3 reactor vessel may be damaged — MOX March 24, 2011