Title: As radiation fears dwindle, so do checkups
Source: The Japan Times Online
Author: MIZUHO AOKI
Date: Jan. 10, 2013
As radiation fears dwindle, so do checkups
[...] “local people have almost no worries (about radiation exposure because of eating contaminated food) these days. . . . They are satisfied with their results from last year (where many were below detectable levels),” [Dr. Masaharu Tsubokura] said.
“Also, there are many people who feel they were being used as human guinea pigs” in the first round and don’t want to take part in the followup tests, he added. [...]
As for the most worrisome internal radiation exposure levels in the early days of the nuclear disaster, radioactive materials consumed have already been discharged from bodies and the amount can no longer be estimated, he said.
“The weakest point of these checkups is that we are not estimating the internal exposure amount of residents immediately after (the meltdowns). And we haven’t been able to measure exposure to radioactive iodine-131″ that has a half-life of just eight days, Tsubokura said. “Those are lost forever. The only way [is to guess ...]“
Published: January 9th, 2013 at 12:37 pm ET
- BBC Report: Residents feel like guinea pigs in radiation research — Survey Leader: I’m not saying they should be used as guinea pigs, but… (AUDIO) March 5, 2012
- Fukushima Evacuee: We’re human guinea-pigs in an experiment… we’ll never forgive gov’t or Tepco! — US Attorney: It’s up to the American people to make them pay; Japan is threatening to put people who speak out in concentration camps (AUDIO) December 12, 2013
- NPR on Japan’s paranoid, guinea pigs (AUDIO) December 24, 2011
- Local Japanese Official’s Headline: “Please Diffuse! Are we the Guinea pigs after all?” June 13, 2012
- Watch: It’s official, people who stayed in Fukushima are guinea pigs (VIDEO) September 1, 2012