Fukushima radiation alarms doctors, Dahr Jamail, August 18, 2011:
Japanese doctors warn of public health problems caused by Fukushima radiation.
[...] Doctors in Japan are already treating patients suffering health effects they attribute to radiation from the ongoing nuclear disaster.
“We have begun to see increased nosebleeds, stubborn cases of diarrhoea, and flu-like symptoms in children,” Dr Yuko Yanagisawa, a physician at Funabashi Futawa Hospital in Chiba Prefecture [located approximately 200km from Fukushima meltdown], told Al Jazeera.
She attributes the symptoms to radiation exposure [...]
More from Dr. Yanagisawa:
- “We are encountering new situations we cannot explain with the body of knowledge we have relied upon up until now.”
- “The situation at the Daiichi Nuclear facility in Fukushima has not yet been fully stabilised, and we can’t yet see an end in sight, [...] Because the nuclear material has not yet been encapsulated, radiation continues to stream into the environment.”
- “Now the Japanese government is underestimating the effects of low dosage and/or internal exposures and not raising the evacuation level even to the same level adopted in Chernobyl [...] People’s lives are at stake, especially the lives of children, and it is obvious that the government is not placing top priority on the people’s lives in their measures.”
- “Incidence of cancer will undoubtedly increase [...] In the case of children, thyroid cancer and leukemia can start to appear after several years. In the case of adults, the incidence of various types of cancer will increase over the course of several decades.”
Read the report here.
Published: August 18th, 2011 at 4:18 pm ET
- Japanese Doctor: Children’s health problems increasing — Incurable stomatitis, chest pain, nosebleeds that don’t stop, diarrhea April 18, 2012
- Fukushima Mother: Many children are showing symptoms of contamination — Nosebleeds, colds and coughs don’t end; Many kinds of eye problems — Tepco and gov’t ruined my life, I cannot forgive them (VIDEO) July 17, 2012
- Fukushima Mother’s Plea to U.N.: Children and adults are suffering tremendously — Sharp increase in bloody urine, bone pain, more — Doctor says many have similar symptoms with unknown causes — Family’s health deteriorated all at once, recovered soon after moving September 27, 2013
- Tokyo Paper: What’s happening to children 50 km from Fukushima plant? Nosebleed, diarrhea, lack of energy June 17, 2011
- Japan Cancer Specialist: If this many people are having similar symptoms, doctors need to recognize them as symptoms of radiation exposure — Can’t be dismissed as a mere cold (VIDEO) November 2, 2011