Title: Editorial: Nuclear crisis reaching critical stage
Source: Coast Reporter (British Columbia, Canada)
Author: John Gleeson
Date: Aug 16, 2013
[...] On Aug. 14, Reuters reported that Tepco was preparing to remove 400 tonnes of “highly irradiated” spent fuel from the severely damaged Reactor Four building.
The operation, set to start in November and expected to take one year, has never been attempted on this scale [...]
The operation is necessary, however, because the chance of Fukushima being hit by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake was estimated last year at 98 per cent within three years. And that, according to the experts, could cause the fuel pool structure to collapse [...]
The seriousness of the situation cannot be overstated. It is truly a global crisis. [...]
For the Japanese it’s a living nightmare, and for the west coast of North America, it is a legitimate threat.
If we had a responsible government, we would be told about the risks [...]
But as far as our government is concerned, Canadians just can’t handle the truth.
Published: August 17th, 2013 at 9:15 am ET
- Video: “Pacific Ocean is under incredible threat… Americans are now starting to reap that on their West Coast” — Kamps: “An unprecedented catastrophe… should be independent monitors sent to Fukushima to try to get the truth as to how bad this is” March 23, 2014
- Report: U.S. West Coast to be hard-hit by Fukushima ocean contamination — North Pacific Gyre transporting radioactive material to America August 23, 2013
- Expert thinks US West Coast might see contamination of water and fish by 2013 June 5, 2011
- Gov’t model shows West Coast of N. America to get highest level of Fukushima contamination until 2030s (VIDEO) November 26, 2013
- Marine Biologist: All the sea stars along west coast of North America could be wiped out — Some developing ‘bald spots’; “Others look completely healthy except for guts coming out” — ‘Speculation’ it could be related to Fukushima December 12, 2013