Subscription Only: German-made film takes hard look at Japan’s nuclear future
By LOUIS TEMPLADO
May 22, 2012
[...] A German editor and journalist, [Ralph T.] Niemeyer is also the director behind “Hibakusha–From Hiroshima to Fukushima, Nuclear Capitalism Tries to Rebound,” an English-language film made in cooperation with Dorothee Menzner, a member of the German parliament.
[Actor Taro] Yamamoto, regularly marching at the front ranks of Japan’s anti-nuke demonstrations, meanwhile, says the Japanese won’t be able to change the system themselves–outside pressure is needed.
The picture of an enraged Japanese public about to explode at its leaders that the film draws is at odds with the real facts: The movement seems more likely to fragment before the government does, judging by the diminished numbers at demonstrations a year after the accident [...]
Only 2 towns support restart of Oi nuclear plant in Fukui
May 22, 2012
Only two of the 11 municipalities within a 30-kilometer radius of Kansai Electric Power Co.’s Oi nuclear plant in Fukui Prefecture are supporting the restart of it, according to a recent Kyodo News poll.
While Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda is expected to make a final decision soon to restart two nuclear reactors at the Oi plant, the poll indicates that relevant local governments’ acceptance as a precondition for the restart has failed to make progress. [...]
Residents who oppose the acceptance of disaster debris to Kitakyushu City blocked the trucks that carry the debris from Ishinomaki City in Miyagi Prefecture to the Waste Collection Depot in the city.
20 of the 22 trucks carrying 80 tonnes of disaster debris got inside, after 8-hour delays. The debris will be burned on May 23.
Radiation 10 times higher around truck carrying debris via EXSKF
Portirland blog has the screen shots of the survey meter, with the highest radiation level at 0.612 microsievert/hour. The embedded video shows the measurement was done after the truck left the site. The survey meter went from 0.06 microsievert/hour or so to 0.612 microsievert/hour in about 2 and a half minutes.
IWJ video (h/t Fukushima Diary)
Published: May 22nd, 2012 at 11:08 pm ET
- Asahi: “Officials scuffle with audience members” (PHOTO) — Entire gov’t to be mobilized for Oi nuke plant restart — Strong likelihood Japan could have no nuclear reactors in operation if locals don’t approve — Mayor clearly opposes restart March 24, 2012
- 6 hours until Japan’s final nuclear plant shuts down — NHK: “No prospect of a restart of any of the country’s 50 commercial reactors” (VIDEO) May 4, 2012
- Trial to stop restart of Tepco nuke plant — 7 reactors built where ground can behave like a liquid, say plaintiffs July 12, 2012
- Fukushima rocked by strongest quakes to hit country this month; Epicenter just offshore from reactors; Nuke plant cam shows shaking for over a minute — Top Japan Newspaper: ‘Major quake disasters could strike anywhere in nation’… Great increases in probability; Measures urgently needed (VIDEO) December 27, 2014
- Kyodo: Alarms go off at Japan nuke plant trying to restart — Rise in pressure at No. 4 reactor’s primary coolant system July 16, 2012