Title: The Newsroom
Author: Willa Paskin
Date: July 31, 2012
Sunday’s episode was set during the meltdown of the Fukushima nuclear reactor. Sloan — who, like Munn, speaks fluent Japanese — learned from a spokesperson of the nuclear plant, off the record, that the problems with the reactor would likely be upgraded from a Three Mile Island-size disaster to a Chernobyl-size one. Filling in for an anchor on one of the prime-time news shows, Sloan, all fired up by a pep talk from Will McAvoy, manhandled and bullied her two guests, the spokesperson and his translator, repeatedly correcting the translator’s translations, eventually breaking into Japanese herself, and finally revealing the information she had gotten off the record without any on-air confirmation that this was actually true.
At 16:30 in
Reporters have conversation with Tepco spokesman.
At 19:00 in
Reporter has private conversation with spokesman.
At 20:45 in
Reporter to other reporters after conversation: “It’s going to go to level 7. Fukushima’s a lot worse than they’re telling you.”
At 22:00 in
Reporter to producer: “They’ve been low-balling the radiation levels.”
Producer: “That is not something you should mention on the air.”
At 26:00 in
Translator won’t translate Tepco spokesman’s remarks accurately during on air segment.
Show producer in reporter’s ear: “Please don’t go rogue.”
At 28:00 in
Reporter: “Has a chance of being raised to a level 7, which is the difference between life and gruesome death.”
Segment ends with Reporter gets suspended.
At 41:00 in
Tepco spokesman resigns.
To view the episode, use this link: http://www.monsteruploads.eu/z1brcxiivq99.html
Be sure to follow these instructions (they make it a bit confusing):
- Click ‘Continue Here’ inside the big blue box.
- On next screen, click play button with circle around it in the center of video. Video will start playing.
Published: August 3rd, 2012 at 1:04 pm ET
- Bloomberg: Japan gov’t needs to understand crisis at Fukushima is a matter of life and death — ABC Interview: “They are slowly killing us… They know full well it’s leaking, but they’ve done nothing” (AUDIO) August 29, 2013
- Journalist: “Purple spots, thyroid anomaly, sudden death… Death rate 1.5 times!” — “Lots of symptoms with Fukushima kids” December 4, 2012
- CNN shows diagram of nuclear material leaking from Fukushima reactor — “Tepco always says it’s alright… it always turns out they’re not telling the truth” (VIDEO) April 23, 2013
- LA Times: People just learning that gov’t may be telling fairy tale, says Japan broadcaster — Radiation levels around Fukushima were “almost beyond calculation” — Chernobyl reporters never saw anything like it December 18, 2011
- AP reporter after going to Fukushima: “There are really people getting sick… the fear keeps building” — “It’s probably the biggest story of my life… with AP for more than 20 years” — “I don’t want to sound alarmist or scare anybody, but this is real” (AUDIO) June 8, 2014