Title: Fears Grow that Japan Could be Hit by Another Powerful Earthquake
Source: Arirang News
Date: December 08, 2012
Fears Grow that Japan Could be Hit by Another Powerful Earthquake
Concerns are rising that Japan could be hit by another massive earthquake after a magnitude-7.3 quake struck off the coast of northeastern Japan on Friday. [...]
Japan’s Asahi Shimbun reports that aftershocks could continue and warned residents in the northeastern region to exercise caution.
Japan’s Defense Science and Technology Institute says the latest tremor is especially alarming, adding an earthquake with a magnitude of eight or over could soon strike the country.
Title: Dec. 7 quake: larger aftershocks possible
Source: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Date: December 08, 2012
The magnitude-7.3 temblor that rocked northeastern Japan on Dec. 7 is now considered an aftershock of last year’s Great East Japan Earthquake–and it may not be the last.
At least one expert has warned of a potentially larger temblor still to come.
“The 2011 magnitude-9.0 earthquake could be followed by a magnitude-8 aftershock,” said Yoshimitsu Okada, president of the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention. “The Dec. 7 event should be taken as a warning for that.” [...]
The Dec. 7 earthquake arose from what is known as a “normal-fault” mechanism [...]
Parts of the crust in the “outer rise,” a topographical protuberance farther off the coast from the plate boundary, were under this tensile stress when they slipped Dec. 7. [...]
A normal-fault earthquake in the outer rise carries a high tsunami risk. [...] The tsunami risk remains even if the seismic source happens to be far from land. [...]
Giant earthquakes of magnitude 8 or greater may involve ground movement of long oscillation periods, causing high-rise buildings to sway, experts say.
The Japan Meteorological Agency has called for continued vigilance.
See also: Japan Engineer: Fukushima Units 1, 2, and 3 can't be reinforced -- “Much easier” to break during quake than Unit 4 -- Buildings can't be reinforced (AUDIO)
Published: December 8th, 2012 at 11:17 am ET
- Asahi: Expert says Japan should be prepared for possibility of M10 quake — “Days of tsunamis” — Only 1 magnitude below asteroid strike (VIDEO) November 23, 2012
- ABC: Major magnitude 7.2 quake strikes off northern Japan April 19, 2013
- AFP: Quake rocks Fukushima, shaking felt in Tokyo — WSJ: Strong quake with a magnitude 5.8 struck prefecture Friday September 19, 2013
- Fukushima rocked by strongest quakes to hit country this month; Epicenter just offshore from reactors; Nuke plant cam shows shaking for over a minute — Top Japan Newspaper: ‘Major quake disasters could strike anywhere in nation’… Great increases in probability; Measures urgently needed (VIDEO) December 27, 2014
- Quake near Magnitude 7 hits off northeast Japan — Country’s strongest since 2013 — Felt along entire Pacific coastline, distance of over 1,000 kilometers — Followed by multiple aftershocks, one centered at Japan Trench — Official: Event related to massive 3/11 quake (VIDEO) February 16, 2015