Published: November 17th, 2011 at 1:20 pm ET

Most radioactive cesium piled up within 2 centimeters of soil surface Mainichi Daily News, Nov. 17, 2011:

The survey, conducted between July and September, covered the Fukushima Prefecture town of Tomioka, which is designated as a no-go zone, and the town of Namie, which has both a no-go zone and an evacuation preparation zone. [...]

In the leaves of deciduous trees that have grown following the onset of the nuclear disaster in March, 60 to 26,000 becquerels of cesium per kilogram was detected, while the leaves of evergreen trees that have existed since before the March 11 disasters contained levels of cesium about 10 times higher than that, at 18,000 to 220,000 becquerels per kilogram.

Published: November 17th, 2011 at 1:20 pm ET

1. Study: Up to 47 quadrillion becquerels of cesium-137 released into Pacific from Fukushima — Nearly 50 times original Tepco estimate March 12, 2013
  2. ‘Mind-Boggling’: Far more cesium released from Fukushima than previously thought says Japan gov’t agency — 40,000 trillion becquerels estimated -Asahi February 29, 2012
  3. Highest Yet: Fish 20 times more radioactive than any other caught since 3/11 — 380 times limit for cesium -NHK August 21, 2012
  4. Radioactive cesium reported in Kellogg’s cereal from Japan — Almost 20 becquerels per kilogram (PHOTO) August 6, 2012
  5. Report: Over 200,000 Bq/kg of radioactive cesium in dust from outside Fukushima Prefecture January 6, 2013

19 comments to Evergreen leaves with cesium up to 220,000 becquerels per kg — 10 times more than deciduous trees… Be careful during holidays

• arclight arclight

huh??

• Bobby1

FOR SALE: Glow-in-the-dark Christmas trees. You don’t need to string up lights!

• arclight arclight

Meanwhile, fruits of trees that have grown in places with high cesium concentrations in the soil hardly bore cesium, the survey has found.

hardly??

• arclight arclight

here is a real on topic issue!! japan 2036 ??

Ukraine wants Chernobyl exclusion zone to bear fruit

Link copied to clipboardemail story to a friend print version Published: 06 January, 2011, 07:07

Edited: 26 April, 2011, 14:56 (edited? A month after fukushima ? Slight revision maybe my guess last 2 paragraphs?)

“Now we’re being told this is dead land. This is not true. Just look at nature’s riches in the exclusion zone,” he said.

There are those worried about what could end up on the dinner table. Critics fear Ukrainian and Russian markets could be flooded with radioactive agricultural products. And there are legal hurdles, argues Aleksandr Dutov, from the Ukrainian Agriculture Ministry.

“Ukraine has a law regulating any activities in the exclusion zone,” he said. “It says no agricultural product can be grown on this land. And for now, experts see no possibility of this law being changed.”
    The dominant view remains that the nearest safe zones from the plant are still hundreds of kilometers away, in northern Ukraine and some parts of Belarus. The dead zone in Chernobyl is still deemed too dangerous, despite some optimists. The fact is: radiation can stick around for as many as 24,000 years.”

• James Tekton James Tekton

Good morning all,

What we noticed after the onset of the initial contamination and fallout from fukushima was that everything got really green and healthy looking giving us the scary thought that radiation is good for the trees, grasses, dandelions, and evergreen trees. It was remarkable then to see how deep green and healthy they were with little to no watering.

So, the quest goes on…the picture gets worse.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

Hello JT,I don’t know if it’s still available since so much of official data resources that were around before 3/11/11 has been taken down,but I’d read and downloaded(and “lost”)a study that had a lot of useful info that was consistent with its title-”Raising clean foods in contaminated land” or something along those lines. I’ll have to try to find it again & provide a link. It was a study based on research done in Chernobyl-affected agricultural regions and it seemed to have a lot of credibility and provided detailed data,analysis & reported findings related to each step of environmental remediation methods & steps taken with test results of all phases of the efforts & research undertakings that should be forwarded to the governments starting with Japan that might prove as useful to anyone in a position to try to do something useful for contituents but hasn’t had a clue where to begin,as it would be for willing,commercial farm operators with a conscience & concern about consumers health.It could be a good way to get positive feedback & PR with a bigger customer base than ever if some big name food company was able to add a “seal of quality assurance”that describes efforts (at least undertaken)to ensure “radiation-free”or close to it products.I bet it’d not only be a big hit,but I’d pay a little extra for a product that had more of ANY steps to ensure healthier foods as well.Farmer’s & gardener’s who grow their own ANYTHING or raise livestock,dairy,etc. for personal consumption & local trade would do well to use the study’s contents also.I’m gonna find it again & put up the link tonight if possible unless someone beats me to it. PEACE

• fireguyjeff fireguyjeff

JT:
    So where did you notice this relative to Fukushima?

• Grampybone Grampybone

Merry Christmas! The more trees you have in your home the more at risk you are. No wreaths no Santa and most importantly NO FUN!!! I knew there was a war on Christmas…only thing was I never suspected the Japanese. Your’s truly, Billo the Clown.

• dosdos dosdos

The TEPCO that stole Christmas….

• WindorSolarPlease

This Christmas I will be happy that I have a pre Fukushima fake tree.

• dpl dpl

just decided no cesium tree at my house this year

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

What a bummer!So a(new)”Grinch”stole X-Mas??!!

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

Argonne Nat. Lab in IL has “white” deer that have always drawn and inspired conversation & conclusion-turns out the were albino “Reindeer” from Norway(I think?)specifically for “research” possibly related to testing of bioaccumulation analysis of the local environment as that’s also been mentioned as well. When my daughter was little & wouldn’t fall asleep unless we’d take a ride in the Jeep or car until she’d be snoozing away(always worked!:) )& we’d cruise down Cass Avenue through the woods and park & watch the herds graze & romp around and I’d wonder if they really were radioactive? Now I am even more curious about their findings there-including their “true” readings of the wildlife and the monitoring equipment and the charts from before & after Fukushima,as well as all the other “events” through the years. The area is loaded with evergreens & blue spruce etc. trees that were planted there years ago. People who struck me as “kinda dense” would pull up in the night & chop one down for x-mas and I thought it was stupid even before I learned those varieties were prone to absorb cesium,etc.! I determined that the dumbass Argonne “tree crooks” were just slightly dumber than the people I knew who’d fish in the warm waters near the discharge pipes of the NPP on I-55 in Braidwood,IL and eat the (abnormally huge)fish!That included the few grossly deformed one’s I’d seen personally! It’s ironic that I also think the small,possibly man-made body of water is named “Christmas Tree Lake”!!LOL! This website and some topics bring back weird old memories on a regular basis!lol! OK,I’m done rambling now & fast-forwarding my present concerns.Maybe somebody here from my area has some recollection or input on these item’s mentioned?…PEACE & “73′s”