Published: November 12th, 2013 at 4:27 pm ET

Welcome to Fukushima (2013) — Kei Takahashi, former Fukushima Daiichi worker (at 3:45 in): I worked at the power plant and I knew how much fuel was there. So when I saw the explosion, I thought: “This is the end!”

Watch the film here

NHK via MissingSky101, Nov. 8, 2013 (at 21:30 in): On March 14, the No. 3 reactor at the Daiichi plant suffered a hydrogen explosion just 6 kilometers [~4 miles] from Mitsuko’s house. [Mitsuko Motoi:] “It was like being lifted up off the floor, so rather than explosion, I thought a plane had crashed nearby. So I thought, ‘Oh, this is serious,’ and I went outside and there was nothing nearby. I came back inside and the radio was on. When they said explosion, I thought, ‘Oh, I can’t go out because of the radiation.’”

Watch the NHK documentary here

See also: Reactor Designer: "It was a nuclear explosion" at Fukushima Unit 3; Plutonium scattered after blast -- ABC: "There’s willful denial and lying going on here, even at the highest levels" (AUDIO)

Published: November 12th, 2013 at 4:27 pm ET

1. Another mysterious explosion demolishes home in Indiana — Captain: No fire with blast (VIDEO) November 14, 2012
  2. Reactor Designer: “It was a nuclear explosion” at Fukushima Unit 3; Plutonium scattered after blast — ABC: “There’s willful denial and lying going on here, even at the highest levels” (AUDIO) November 5, 2013
  3. Secret Fukushima Testimony Revealed: Plant chief considered “disemboweling himself” after explosions… “I should kill myself” — Smoke seen at No. 3 reactor before blast, “I figured this was the end of plant” — At start of crisis “I was in despair… panicking… I could not afford to logically think” September 11, 2014
  4. Nuclear Engineer: Studies show multiple fuel cores ejected from Fukushima reactors… I thought so too, it was one of my big concerns — Radiation Expert: Hot particles of uranium and plutonium fuels detected nearly 300 miles away (VIDEO) August 25, 2014
  5. Video: “Purple cloud” seen by engineer after Fukushima explosion… “I took a photo” — Former Prime Minister: Smoke from reactor blast had different color than officials claim; Steel appears to have melted on top of Unit 3; Suggests possible nuclear explosion October 30, 2014

61 comments to Ex-Fukushima Worker: “This is the end!” I thought when seeing explosion at plant… “I knew how much fuel was there” — NHK: Reactor 3 blast “like being lifted up off floor” at home several miles away, I thought plane crashed outside (VIDEOS)

• Oncewaslost Oncewaslost

“This is the end!” I thought after seeing explosion at plant… “I knew how much fuel was there” — NHK: Reactor 3 blast “

Gee….. you too eh?

• Igmz Igmz

"This is the end, beautiful end, my friend" the only line from that doors song I can recall right now..

• fireguyjeff fireguyjeff

@Igmz…
      That is the very beginning of the song.
      I listened to it many times over a few months after Fuku blew.
      I was so hammered by knowing what had really happened.
      My worst fears about the consequences then have all become reality and a lot more since then.
      I grew up with duck and cover.
      That was traumatic enough that I did not regain my memory of it
      until maybe 2010.
      My constant Fuku reminder is the sporadic yet recurring metallic taste in my mouth that started up in the summer of 2011.
      I live near Portland OR on the west coast.
      We get a lot of coastal weather here blown in from the Pacific.

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

"Voices, a thousand, thousand voices
      Whispering, the time has passed for choices
      Golden days are passing over, yeah

I can't seem to see you, baby, although my eyes are open wide
      But I know I'll see you once more
      When I see you, I'll see you on the other side
      Yes, I'll see you, I'll see you on the other side"

• Lion76 Lion76

No.3 suffered a "hydrogen explosion" huh NHK?

• weeman

He would be one on the no interview list that the chairman of the NRA corrupted from the expert panel and would have been helpful to the investigation.

• Igmz Igmz

Hola everyone..finally figured out how to make this site allow me to login to post! I have been reading/watching since fuku happened. It is an honor and a privilege to read your words, my friends, and even though we have never met, I fell you are my brothers and sisters in this life and struggle. We are not alone. Hoka hey…if this is the end, then this truly is a good day to die! My wish for you all is for health and happiness..this man once told me that these are the only things that money cannot buy. I wish to share a "vision" I had a couple of years ago which is essentially the same as that talked about in the article from the indigenous elders (I know chief Looking Horse fairly well and he is a beautiful human being)..see next post

• Igmz Igmz

So my dream/vis was such: I saw before me all those relatives which were no more and now only lived in pictures and stories. And I saw too all my relatives which are dying and suffering, and it seemed that all of life called out to us, the two-legged to do our duty and stand up and defend her. And I heard them say to me that we were rushing down the path of destruction and the powers of life and death are unbalanced. Then they said to me that the purpose of life is to live, and that of death was to die, and in this unbalanced state this power of destruction would not stop until there was nothing left. We, you and I and all of us must therefore rise up in our own power and seek rebalance and to leave the black road of destruction..

• Igmz Igmz

My friends and relatives, we are all that stands in its way, in the way of this power- the opposite of life and love and understanding. It's hallmark is doubt and despair. This power is very tricky and deceptive and it's masks are legion. As a new born spiritual warrior I salute you my brothers and sisters at arms for ours truly is a great and spiritual war. It is joined, and I am with you!

• rakingmuck

I have been asking Mother Earth for 2.5 years who to fight? Who to stand up to? We are millions yet the destructive forces thousands. I remain without an answer because the illusion is it is out of reach.We are speaking of Governments, The UN, the IAEA all in lockstep together. How do we break through this barrier I ask every hour of every day.

• Igmz Igmz

If I may..the word is "bigger"..this is bigger than any gov or organization or anything in the sense that this dark power encompasses them all..the illusion asks us to focus on a small part of the darkness, there bye missing the whole and keeping us confused and divided (think of any issue, and then think "Bigger!") and impotent. Looking Bigger allows us to slowly begin to see that dark power (simply put, the opposite of life, love, happiness, etc) and to choose the opposite..that is how we stand and fight, the who are "they" and "them"….those who espouse thoughts, beliefs, policies, anything that promulgates division and repression.

• teamplayer

I believe we are all, collectively, responsible.
      My guess, and I apologize to those who were active in anti-nuclear activities prior to Fukushima, is that most everyone, including regular posters on this board, gave little thought to nuclear power prior the the events of 3/11.
      There was a very vibrant anti-nuclear movement after Chernobyl and they had a measure of success in helping to halt the construction of new plants, but the existing ones continued to operate.
      So, we had Chernobyl and TMI, and numerous other accidents, that garnered less attention, but the plants continued operating. There were large demonstrations after Chernobyl, but even those began to fade as time passed without a "major" accident.
      My point is, that we all became complacent, and since, 3/11 those of us who understand the dire situation unfolding before our very eyes, probably haven't done as much as we could, because we just don't know how to mobilize. If we had a million person march, like June 12, 1982, when one million people demonstrated in New York City against nuclear weapons, maybe the people in power would listen.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

agree teamplayer with your observations. I would add a minor caveat to your closing words. The "…people in power…" are no longer in power, as they – chose – not to listen. Had they listened to those who warned against the use of nuclear power technologies within the planet's biosphere, they'd have continued enjoying what is now being wrenched-away from their trembling grips…

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Thank you teamplayer. I was one of those active before Fukushima, long long before Fukushima. I first protested with the Quakers during the Pacific bomb tests in the 50s. I didn't devote my entire life to it, but I stayed active all my life. And here I am now, very, very tired, but knowing I have stood on the rigtheous side of the survival of life on earth.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Thank you Dharmasyd for your service to humanity. Thank you for being here too.. all of you.

Our complacency was engineered by the deregulation of our media. We no longer have any viable way of communicating the danger our corporations are putting us all in. That was brilliant. And effective.

• teamplayer

Thank you, Dharmasyd. You can certainly be proud.
          My former father-in-law was a victim of Nevada testing while serving in the military, and that was how I first became aware of the real dangers from radiation exposure.

• Tung Jen Tung Jen

Exactly, Igmz, I was thinking about the blame game, how so much time wasted on who is to blame so we can attack and bring them down…. Meanwhile look to ourselves, our neglect of our own responsibilities for our food, for our health and welfare. Lawyers and insurance brokers, old professions built on our our lack of personal responsibility. No jobs but unlimited work to be done.

• ftlt

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA ….They tried to make it out as a "Not A Problem" event – all most

Sorry, for the light feelings here, gang.. But, the level of dumb dumb stupidity around this whole thing has been incredible – the whole time..

It has driven me further and further away from respecting our own scientific community – who went along with it all – the lies, I mean

• nedlifromvermont

Soooo HAHAHAHAHA unfunny true. The scientific whores are whores nonetheless … where is the outrage?

coming soon to a university near you ….

the silent sheeple of the nuclear apocalypse: atomic power acolytes.

peace all!

• Kassandra

I don't believe all university scientists are corrupted.

I think most are not. Their attention is simply focused on their very narrow research interests.

Some scientists have helped our efforts tremendously:

Remember that study about PU in Lithuania? Or what about that study on radio-iodine in California kelp?

We need data provided by 'science in the public interest.'

Maybe what we need to do is crowd-fund the research of some willing university chemists who can help us identify contaminated food. Many lab scientists have to acquire grant money to fund the costs associated with their lab operations. Our university chemistry lab doesn't even have the equipment to test for radioisotopes.

The problem is that the moneyed interests pay for all the research.

• J.

I would favor a Kickstarter campaign to develop very, very simple, very cheap testing devices. I'd love to see a simple box-like gadget that would, over a 48 hour period, say, do a reasonably accurate test of food items. The same gadget could check household dust, soil from the yard, etc. Impossible? I think not. Funding an effort by the right people might make it a reality.

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

So — what can we do?

Most of the 20-somethings that I know at a local college have not even heard about Fukushima. They know absolutely nothing at all about it. When or if I mention it at all – even to college instructors – they shake their head and turn their face away. They don't want to "hear" anything. Denial is all I ever get from people.

• Jebus Jebus

"NHK: Reactor 3 blast “like being lifted up off floor” at home several miles away"
    Even taking that sentence with a grain of plutonium, you can not make that statement and call it a hydrogen explosion.
    E=MC2
    You can not make that statement and say that #3 spent fuel pool was the source. It would not be there at all. Think about it. #4 SFP was cracked open by the relatively small conflagration there.
    E=MC2
    The bottom line is that reactor #3 ejected the majority of it's fuel load into the environment and around the world. Whether it blew it's top or blew out the bottom and came up around the PV, containment was lost catastrophically.
    E=MC2
    Why does this matter?
    Because that is the primary lie about nuclear power plants. Impossible to loose containment is a lie.
    Because 300(?) tons of MOX laced fuel blew up into the atmosphere and circled the globe.
    Because this event's fact's alone, makes Fukushima the worst nuclear disaster in the history of man. Just that one event.
    Because adding in all the other individual events in this megadisaster makes Fukushima a planetary game changer in terms of global radionuclide contamination and genetics for all creatures.
    Break this disaster down into its parts and add it up any way you want.
    #1 and #1 SFP.
    #2 and #2 SFP.
    #3 and #3 SFP.
    #4SFP which is really #4 reactor too.
    400 tons of corium water a day for 2y & 8m.
    The coriums.
    The CSFP.
    The result is less than desirable for life on this planet.
    Kinda put's #4 SPF…

• Igmz Igmz

Yes a monstrous lie all of it..though I am by nature a pessi-optimist, I yearn for a second or two of opti-pessimism where I can still keep my grasp on reality while indulging the fantasy that something, anything, Will somehow make this turn out all right..aprapo-from tepco I might predict some good ole fashion Godzilla quips??perhaps he will be versing the 3 headed hydracorium or the terrible vamphyric cesisquid..and they! yes they, these fantastical creatures are to blame! Just look at them, the monsters! (Tho we shan't be questioning their origin shall we?) of course they did this! not we…we protectors of your healths and sanities..not we mere humans! No,not this,this, not even we would do this..so tell us tepco how this movie ends?

• Igmz Igmz

"There are things we know. There are things we don't know, and there are things we know we don't know we know" or thereabouts

• Igmz Igmz

Hey Bo..that photo is of a collared wolf in Yellowstone..he is out on a frozen lake…my dad actually took that picture last year I think I have it in my office blown up on stretched canvas and peo

• Igmz Igmz

Weird cut off..people think its is a painting.

• snukey

Must be watched its unbelievable what tptb want to have happen. Because if they didn't want this to happen they would stop the nuclear.

• snukey

im only one hour into the documentary and I feel sick.

• Wyakin Wyakin

Snukey-don't get sick yet, this is only the beginning.

If you really want to get sick, start researching the collusion of governments and corporations in the greatest economic and biological inter-generational monstrosity bestowed on future generations of all species on the planet.

The debt held by many of the top financial companies in the world are littered with outstanding nuclear debt. They will not yield until the profits guaranteed to their creditors have been absolved.

Do I sound overreacting? IMHO, no. Look at all the facts and engage in critical thought followed by reaction.

Jebus-well stated.

Purple-no denial from me. Keep up the good work. What I have come to understand is that no matter your age now, the wisdom and knowledge required to address FU and ban NP is inter-generational in nature.

The oxymoronic "pandora" cannot be solved within our lifetimes due to the longevity of NP trash, but will require sustained effort from multiple generations. Do you best to educate when the opportunity presents.

As an aside, someone in a prior ENE post made an astute observation about a worker named "Sanchez" in the SPF4 photos. I'm not able to locate that reference due to the number of off topic comments cluttering the posts lately. If you have this information please repost. This may have some substantial implications.

Thank you and peace.

• tbg

I have the images, they are prolly still up on reuters, but honestly, I dont see any conspiracy there.

The names are written on paper labels in permanent marker, some of the name tags are written in japanese, a couple of them have something written, then scribbled out, then something else written over it. It just looks to me like guys on a work crew in the most stressful environment imaginable writing nicknames on their labels.

One of them says something Sanchez, one of the says Joe Legendie, sounds like nicknames to me. And sometimes when your working in a crew like that, your nickname changes.

"Yeah you dill-hole, Yesterday your nick name was yoshi surefingers, but after that ish today, we're gonna call you numbnuts." Scribble, Scribble.

Just my 2 cents, maybe somebody that reads japanese can find something better but I'm not seeing any conspiracy in that image, just some dudes writing nicknames try to relieve the stress of taking on the worlds worst nuclear disaster ever in some purple keds, some thick socks and a paper thin plastic suit.

• Sam

Corium 1, 2,3 are the really dangerous things that can never be removed.

SFP4 is not a 'problem' anymore because the remains of the pool and the fuel rods are all scattered at the ground level. They have already put concrete on it by now.

• Wyakin Wyakin

Tbg-Ty.

Anne, it took me a while to get through it but the NUREG/CR-4792UCID-20914 reference coupled with the eyewitness accounts of burst pipes at FU are revealing.

In the backdrop of statistical safety hubris, the understatement of risk, we appear to owe our current coexistence with NPP and nuclear weapons technology to luck and good fortune. In addition to major geological events, there are also small, strange accidents that have unintended consequences around complex technologies.

“The results of these evaluations consistently indicated that the probability of a DEGB [double-ended guillotine break] in PWR reactor coolant loop piping is, extremely small,about 1E-7 events per reactor-year from indirect causes, and less than lE-10 events per reactor-year from direct causes. It was also found that thermal stresses dominated the probability of direct DEGB, and that earthquakes contributed only negligibly.”PROBABILITY OF FAILURE IN BWR REACTOR COOLANT PIPING Vol. 1: Summary Report (xiv)

Peace.