Published: May 7th, 2013 at 12:36 pm ET

Title: 10:30 a.m. Sinkhole Burp Reported
Source: Assumption Parish Police Jury
Date: May 7, 2013

Early this morning, there was a burp in the sinkhole. Dr. Hecox has reported that seismic monitors recorded a VLP (very long period seismic signal) at 3:24 a.m. and it is likely that this is when the burp happened. The monitoring/alert status remains at Code 3, which means all work directly on the sinkhoke, Oxy 3 pad and within the containment berm is ceased until further notice.

See also: Officials: "Marked uptick in microquakes in past day" around giant sinkhole -- Alert raised to Code 3

Published: May 7th, 2013 at 12:36 pm ET

1. Advisory: Code 3 alert at giant Louisiana sinkhole — 10 ‘Very Long Profile’ seismic signals — Surface movement on west side April 21, 2013
  2. Officials: ‘Burp Event’ at giant Louisiana sinkhole — “Additional hydrocarbons are present” — “Seismic activity has been active” (VIDEO) June 21, 2013
  3. Official films ‘burp event’ at giant Louisiana sinkhole — Intense bubbling across several large areas (VIDEO) August 9, 2013
  4. Giant Louisiana sinkhole swallows more land after ‘burp’ — Water continuing to move — “Indication that event is not over” April 18, 2013
  5. Officials: Increased seismic activity below giant sinkhole — Cracks developing on pad nearby — Another ‘burp’ this morning — State Police helicopter on-scene January 19, 2013

24 comments to Expert: ‘Burp’ during very long period seismic event at giant sinkhole — Code 3 alert continues

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

The longer the burb..the more geological materials in motion..The greater the damage.

• StarDust62 StarDust62

Do you think this thing will blow up, like alot of ppl are worried about? I can't even imagine the ramifications, or loss of life.

• rainbeaudais rainbeaudais

stardust…

I used to say no,and that if it hasn't blown up by now, it wouldn't. But the gas is rising. And there are idiots in the community that still think it's okay to burn trash. Two new vent wells were placed in the community and one had a column of gas 4-6 feet, and the other, a coulmn of gas of 4 feet. The gas was found @ 113 to 128 feet, and one had a PSI of 48. All of this was preliminary info. But, the gas is there, and it's coming to the surface. How can it not,at some point, start accumulating under sheds, skirted mobile homes, etc?

Even if it isn't someone burning a fire, at some point, there will be a spark, somewhere. It doesn't look like they will get the gas out before it surfaces. All just my opinion.

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

Just like Fukushima. A massive threat to life and limb, and no evacuations. They'll just say later they didn't know how bad it was, and how sorry they are.

In the meantime, a continued full court press to keep the whole thing quiet.

Just like all the people sick from the Arkansas spill. No news allowed there, either.

• Anthony Anthony

Something I haven't seen in years on tv, they just did one of those old school – **This is a test of the emergency broadcast system**

Kind of eery today for some reason…

• Lion76 Lion76

I think the greater damage is being done silently, what is leaking out of that place and carrying north with the wind. Me, and some of my friends, are sharing stories of some strange symptoms lately (twitches, general fatigue, etc.) (we live an hour or less away from bayou corne) again… scientifically minded I try to stay away from drawing loose correlations.. but then again, my intuition and gut tells me that the "obvious" just might be occurring. When I think "logically" about why the powers that be would rather be quiet, instead of being "safer than sorry," I have even more reasons to trust my gut.

And, I have to also let it be known that I do own a radiation detector.. and every time these "burps" happen I get spikes on my readings. Again, another "loose correlation" based on my own observations, but you can never truly prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" things that you cannot see, taste, smell, or otherwise directly trace back to (without more sophisticated equipment that I cannot afford at this time).

Sometimes I wonder if the damage is already done.. I plan to move but what if it is already too late? Surely, a state economy would not have an interest in telling me to "leave" for my own safety. Would it? One look at Japan, and that answer is obviously no.

• irhologram

They wont tell us this ISN'T related to the BP disaster…a suspicios omission….but the Big Hum is dry and they don't know where this is coming from (can't look at their own maps, I guess.). The video in this link suggests folks affected by BP contact a coalition for financial recovery… If it IS BP, that would certainly expand BP's liability in the mix with Texas Brine. The video also shows pollution from oil/ corexit on Florida beaches. http://beforeitsnews.com/gulf-oil-spill/2013/05/florida-beaches-covered-in-oil-corexit-bps-toxic-legacy-2441204.html?utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fb4in.info%2Fq3wC&utm_content=beforeit39snews-verticalresponse&utm_campaign=&utm_source=direct-b4in.info&utm_medium=verticalresponse

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

As the oil/methane makes it's way to the surface….it will be met with various resistance depending on conditions…as the geo-materials move around.
    Should it meet with too much resistance and the build up of gases become too great..explosion could occur.
    Size depending on volume of material involved..which is?
    A scenario..played out underground..perhaps forever.

• GlowingRainSeattle

I do wish there was a way to set up a public live feed camera somewhere at the sinkhole. To watch and learn from. -have they started the buyouts yet on everyone's home? And considering its continuing to grow in size, when are they going to expand the evacuation?

• Ibuiltthis Ibuiltthis

They do have camera's set up at the sinkhole … however TB will only do what is demanded of them, and that does not include a live feed. They can go back and look at footage of "burps". I think if they did in fact have a live feed they may be able to convince some that they are not hiding anything.

• wetpwcas1 wetpwcas1

Methane gas came out of lake in Africa & killed hundreds of people, aminals befor they as they sleep! There is so many possiblities of what could take place. With the unknown amount of gas that could be released at once & if the south winds blowing, who knows what the damage could be on humans & all life! Another FUBAR by those in power!

• irhologram

It was CO2 at Lake Nyos, killing 1700 people. Although it shows gas kills, there's no other connection to this thread…it wasn't methane. It's source was unreleased CO2 from the lake bed, not huge, migrating gas pockets from an "unknown" source. It was an instant, explosive release, not traveling laterally and displacing swamp gas and "traveling" through an aquifer. They were able to engineer remediation in the lake, but this event is unstoppable… Etc. IMO "continuous" gas release (and not just from Oxy 3) is more dangerous. The volume of release is growing. It's pervasive, bubbling up in a circumference reported in ene comments to be dozens of miles across the region. So far. It's in the acquire, which connects to other aquifers, rivers and streams.
    On August 21, 1986, possibly as the result of a landslide, Lake Nyos suddenly emitted a large cloud of CO2, which suffocated 1,700 people and 3,500 livestock in nearby towns and villages. Though not completely unprecedented, it was the first known large-scale asphyxiation caused by a natural event. To prevent a recurrence, a degassing tube that siphons water from the bottom layers of water to the top allowing the carbon dioxide to leak in safe quantities was installed in 2001, and two additional tubes were installed in 2011.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Lots of big seismic activity in the Bayou Corne stinkhole this morning

How many acres this time lost?

• 16Penny 16Penny

That is an active night, thanks for keeping on the seismos TM2020.
      I also noticed an EQ to the west in Texas this morning.

M2.5 25km NNE of Snyder Texas, Time: 5-08-13 2:58
      Location : 32.939N 100.852W, Depth, 3.7km

This has been a very active and lengthy geological disturbance. I think the portion of the sinkhole they are counting is trying to meet and exceed their "worst case scenario" fast so they start showing it some respect.

• James Hollen

16Penny, I hate to say it, but I think things are coming"to a head" fairly fast, so to speak. As Rainbeaudais stated, drilling down to 113 to 128 feet produces 48PSI gas, it's time to leave!! NOW !!

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Catching it's stride..I see.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Is this where ..I wave my hat in the air..and yell?
    "It's coming..the damn stuff is coming".

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

"Cut and run"..my real advice.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

I did..James Hollen.
    Then a person has to go gentle like and pick up one's hat..
    Damn it…they and them.