The Province, Dec 5, 2014 (emphasis added): For an endangered orca population living off the B.C. coast, Thursday’s death of a young adult female “couldn’t be much worse,” according to a marine scientist… “It couldn’t be much worse than losing an 18-year-old female,” [Dr. Peter Ross, a senior scientist at the Vancouver Aquarium] said. “This was a female who was at the sunrise of her reproductive life.”… “There’s virtually no survival of the babies anymore, which of course means there’s no future… We have to turn this around somehow,” said [Ken Balcomb of the Center for Whale Research].
Dr Andrew Trites, U. of British Columbia: “To lose a female of reproductive age, that’s absolutely the worst thing possible that could happen… without them, the population is doomed.”
Times Colonist, Dec 5, 2014: The death of J32 [and] her baby, paints a grim future for the southern resident whales… Balcomb said. “We haven’t had any survivals in babies for a couple of years. We have had stillborns and newborns die… It’s like zero survival in birth rate here.” Howard Garrett of Orca Network said… “There was a calf born in early September that lived less than a month and that was the first calf in two years… There should be two or three births at least per year… Instead, there have been seven mortalities and no births.”
Fox News, Dec 9, 2014: [It's] thought to be one of only 18 able to reproduce… a calf birthed by an orca in the J, K, or L pod hasn’t survived longer than a year in the last three years.
KUOW, Dec 7, 2014: Scientists determined this weekend that the dead orca… was pregnant when she died… The fetus was already decomposing, suggesting to scientists that the mother was attempting to expel her stillborn calf when she died.
Earth Fix, Dec 7, 2014: Experts believe the young female may have been trying to expel her dead fetus when she herself died. The fetus… was already decomposing. — Balcomb: “Over the last two and a half years we have not had any calves survive and of course 100 percent mortality in offspring is not good for the future.”… Balcomb and others believe that lack of food and high levels of pollution in the orcas bodies are to blame for the low survival rates of the young. There are just 77 southern resident killer whales left.
CHEK, Dec 2014: Biologist [say] a sustainable population needs at least 500 individuals.
CBC, Dec. 8, 2014: They can live to be 90 or even 100 years of age. — Peter Ross, Vancouver Aquarium: “The alarm bells are starting to ring because we have not had a successful calf born… in almost 3 years.”
Michelle Rachel, CETUS: Nov. 29… she was healthy [&] happy… We don’t know how she got up here, why she got up here. It’s so far away from her regular range.
Balcomb: We’re going to lose this population… they’ll be extinct for sure in 100 yrs, maybe 20
Published: December 10th, 2014 at 12:41 pm ET
- TV: “This is really kind of scary… a grim reality” for West Coast — Alarm as baby whales keep dying; Since 2011 none have survived over a year — Biologist: We see them pregnant for weeks, then no longer pregnant — NOAA: “Not what we’re used to… Incredibly poor condition… Skeleton with skin” (VIDEO) November 5, 2014
- “Mind Blowing”: Die-off in Pacific far worse than anything ever seen before — Expert: Alarm over what’s happening in ocean — Deaths puzzling gov’t scientists, “I’ve never heard of such a thing anywhere in world” — Reports: Beaches full of bodies… Countless carcasses — Official: We want to know if it’s related to Fukushima (VIDEO) March 29, 2016
- LA gas well has ‘destabilized’, large crater develops in area — Officials: “Could be catastrophic” — TV: Risk of massive fire, possible explosion — Expert: “If wellhead fails, the thing is just going to be full blast… a horrible, horrible problem” — Company refuses to provide photos or media access (VIDEO) January 20, 2016
- U.S.’s Unspeakable Experiments: Hundreds of pregnant women fed nuclear material — Infants drinking radioactive lemonade — “Only thing I could think of was Nazi Germany” -Official April 12, 2013
- Caldicott: Fukushima disaster the worst thing that’s ever happened — I’ve never seen anything so despicable in decades of being a doctor (AUDIO) February 25, 2013