Title: ANALYSIS: Contaminated water flowing into ocean despite Abe’s claim
Source: Asahi Shimbun
Authors: Shunsuke Kimura and Toshio Kawada
Date: Sept. 20, 2013
[...] Michio Aoyama, a senior researcher of marine chemistry at the Japan Meteorological Agency’s Meteorological Research Institute, estimated that 30 billion becquerels of radioactive cesium and another 30 billion becquerels of radioactive strontium continue to leak into the outer ocean every day.
[...] available monitoring data have shown no decline in their levels. [...]
TEPCO, the Fukushima prefectural government, the Environment Ministry, the Nuclear Regulation Authority and other organizations have been monitoring radioactivity levels [...] But the methods of those measurements have been called into question.
Experts pointed out a lack of consistency in the sampling and analysis methods during a Sept. 13 meeting of an NRA panel tasked with ocean monitoring.
“Measurements could vary tenfold at the same site,” one expert said.
“The analysis methods are outdated,” said another.
NRA Commissioner Kayoko Nakamura said she will take measures to improve the situation.
“Data should be taken accurately and reliably,” Nakamura said. [...]
Published: September 22nd, 2013 at 11:12 pm ET
- Officials reveal about 2 Trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material flowed into ocean every month during 2013 — “Deadly strontium” releases now more than double cesium — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” (VIDEO) August 29, 2014
- New breaches at Fukushima flowing into Pacific? NY Times: It’s most likely “radioactive particles scattered on ground, possibly by explosions” — LA Times: Already 60 billion becquerels going directly into ocean every day (VIDEO) October 21, 2013
- Strontium reaches 500 Billion Bq/m³ in basements at Fukushima — Record levels reported at 5 locations near ocean — U.S. Senior Scientist: “We see strontium becoming more of concern… food chain will have to be studied more carefully” June 3, 2014
- Newly released data shows 4,000% more radioactive material in Fukushima groundwater than Tepco claimed — 39 billion Bq/m³ in sample from shoreline… after going through filtration process — Results not made public until almost a year later (VIDEO) July 8, 2014
- Ocean hits record high for radioactive Strontium at all 6 locations near Fukushima reactors — Levels up to 20 times higher than reported last week — Officials: Contamination from highly radioactive ‘debris’ is seeping into ground and flowing out to sea September 15, 2014