RIA Novosti, March 2, 2013: A temporary cover will be built above the collapsed section of Chernobyl’s nuclear power plant, the chief engineer said late on Friday. [...] Chernobyl NPP technical director and chief engineer Andrei Bilyk said the temporary cover was recommended by experts who visited the plant last week, and that the station’s management saw it as “the first thing that has to be done.” [...] The chief engineer described the structure’s current condition as “stable.” “We came to a conclusion that there will be no further collapses. We expect no domino effect,” Bilyk said.
GlobalPost, Feb. 25, 2013: Officials said radiation levels didn’t rise after the incident. “They didn’t even move toward control norms,” the plant’s spokeswoman Maya Rudenko elaborated. Asked what those levels are, however, she chided: “You understand, in a place that suffered from a [highest] scale 7 nuclear accident, there can be no norm.” “There’s no answer to your question,” she elaborated.
See also: Chernobyl workers evacuated from site -- Roof collapse was 50 meters from reactor's sarcophagus -- Soundness inspection underway (PHOTOS)
Published: March 2nd, 2013 at 12:20 am ET