Title: Fukushima nuclear plant leaks: What you need to know
Source: CTV News
Date: Aug 23, 2013
Following the 2011 disaster, TEPCO has faced a growing catalogue of problems, including several leaks of radioactive water which has been accumulating as a result of continual water injections to cool the damaged reactors.
Although no one can confirm where the melted fuel cores are located, some experts believe some of the radioactive material from the damaged core has moved into the earth.
The recent spike in radiation levels in the water may therefore be coming from groundwater coming into contact with the melted cores.
From Yesterday: Nuclear Expert: Fukushima melted fuel is drifting in ocean and onto land, lacking any containment -- It ends up on coastline and blows into communities -- People get an exceptional dose -- Health harm will go on for thousands, if not tens of thousands of years (AUDIO)
See also: Wall St. Journal: They don’t know where Fukushima’s melted fuel cores are, or in what state — Expert: “It’s important to think of worst-case scenario”… Even greater levels of contamination may be on the way
Published: August 24th, 2013 at 11:15 am ET
- Reporter: Many experts now believe Fukushima’s melted fuel burned through the concrete floors and has gone down into the groundwater — “No one yet knows how deeply those 3 cores melted into the ground… No one knows where the cores are” (AUDIO) May 12, 2016
- Asahi: ‘Underground holes’ may be needed to search for Fukushima’s 3 molten cores — Did fuel ‘escape’ via basement? — Experts unsure if Tepco will allow them to search for corium January 25, 2014
- Major Newspapers: The big question is, where did Fukushima’s melted fuel go?… Just where is that fuel?… No one even knows where it is — Experts: The world’s never seen anything like this… We have 3 nuclear cores that hit groundwater (VIDEO) June 23, 2015
- AFP: Fears that molten fuel went into ground after melting through containment vessels at Fukushima — They still can’t find three reactor cores (AUDIO) January 23, 2014
- Nuclear Official: Tepco made Fukushima plant into a “machine for generating radioactive water” — Runoff from molten atomic cores now in groundwater, ocean — ‘Air cooling’ should be used August 27, 2013