Title: Japan writers’ group gets eye-opener in Chernobyl
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Author: By CHIAKI YOSHIMURA
Date: May 02, 2012
If the pen is mightier than the sword, then senior members of the Japan writers’ P.E.N. Club, who visited the shuttered Chernobyl nuclear power plant in mid-April, are now armed with some mighty ink. [...]
At a hospital in Narodychi, 60 km from the Chernobyl nuclear plant, patients were taking radioactive iodine as a cancer treatment in an isolation ward with lead-embedded walls.
One man, who was 8 years old at the time of the disaster, developed cancer in his thyroid gland this year.
The Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev told the delegation that only 2.5 percent of children, who had been exposed to radiation prenatally, were diagnosed as healthy at the age of 7. [...]
[Jiro Asada, the president of the association said, "...] Be it in science and technology or in medicine, Japan’s prestige is in danger of falling to the ground. It’s a very crucial moment for us.”
Read the report here
Published: May 1st, 2012 at 4:24 pm ET
- Magazine: Some plants were glowing after Chernobyl and researchers found countless examples of monstrous mutations — Claims wildlife now considered healthy February 17, 2013
- Pediatrician: “Homes full of the most grossly deformed children we have ever seen in the history of pediatrics — all around Chernobyl” (VIDEO) May 2, 2012
- Physician: There are homes in Chernobyl now with children so grossly deformed, we’ve never seen anything like it in the history of pediatrics — Cancer at 6 instead of 60, that’s what nuclear power means (VIDEO) May 6, 2012
- 3 million children require treatment because of Chernobyl, many will die prematurely -U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan in 2000 February 28, 2013
- Seattle TV: Children now sicker than ever from Chernobyl disaster — Contamination to go on for centuries to come — Many with heart and digestive problems (VIDEO) June 26, 2013