Nuclear Fantasy, Foreign Policy, Kumi Naidoo (Executive Director, Greenpeace International), Jan. 2, 2012:
For a source of electricity that contributes to about 3 percent of global energy consumption, we are having an awfully big debate. [...]
Even before the Fukushima meltdown, industry plans to double nuclear power capacity were in the realm of fantasy. Doubling current capacity would require a multibillion-dollar nuclear plant to come on stream every week for two decades. That’s a far cry from the few reactors that become operational worldwide each year. Such a construction boom would only cut global carbon dioxide emissions by 3 to 4 percent.
Building a nuclear power plant currently takes more than a decade from inception to completion, rendering such plants irrelevant in stopping CO2 emission growth during this decade, a prerequisite for keeping global warming below catastrophic levels.
Contrast that with two or three years for a wind farm or less than a year for solar panels. Wind power already provides more affordable power than nuclear power plants, and the costs for solar panels are coming down faster than anyone could predict. [...]
Read the full piece here
Published: January 3rd, 2012 at 2:17 pm ET
- Bloomberg: Mexico abandons plans to build 10 nuke plants — Fukushima causing nations around world to reconsider energy future November 4, 2011
- Fukushima Plume Headed to Southern Hemisphere: Enters South Pacific and Indian Ocean after 2 decades — Will contain around 25% of total cesium-137 release September 3, 2013
- Reuters: 7-hour emergency declared after reactor leak at Pakistani nuclear plant, no radiation damage reported ‘yet’ — Men in protective gear isolated part of plant October 20, 2011
- FRCSR Alert: Fukushima peaches on sale outside Japan September 6, 2012
- Reuters: Bombers “switched target from nuke plant at last minute” — Report: Terror cell plotted to blow up nuclear plant… Threat of “most devastating terror attack in history” — Murder of nuclear worker increasing fear of more attacks — Police worry other cells “poised to unleash further terror” (VIDEOS) March 28, 2016