Title: Bayou Corne Resident Meeting With La. State Representatives (Informal)
Date: Nov. 8, 2012
Published: Nov. 10, 2012
At 1:08:30 in
Louisiana State Representative Joe Harrison: I’m gonna tell you something, the infrared satellite vision that they have, these things can tell you more than you ever imagined. I leaned a lot about that during the BP thing. At the base where they’re at, they can tell you more things and actual chemical compound makeups with their equipment than I ever imagined they could. And they’re doing that right now, it’s being monitored.
Resident 1: They’re doing it through infrared?
Harrison: Yes ma’am they’re just not giving us the information.
Resident 2: Who is they?
Harrison: The federal government [...] This thing just seems to escalate [...] They need somebody to tie it all together [...] It needs to be declared a disaster. Once it’s declared a disaster, a whole new set of rules and regulations are enforced. [...]
Resident: What can we do to help push that along?
Harrison: They’re concerned about the viability of the highway [...] hit them where their pockets are. They really care about revenue [...] When you say you shut down Interstate 70 [...] Morgan City is a major thoroughfare for the energy industry [...] Forced evacuation was a second thing [...] Revenue is the big thing right now, I can tell you [...]
Once the feds take over that’s when things will happen. We’re in an in-between stage right now.
Published: November 14th, 2012 at 4:30 pm ET
- Watch: More bubble sites keep appearing at sinkhole — “Something state emergency leaders are keeping a very close eye on” (VIDEO) August 15, 2012
- Watch: They leave sinkhole each night at 6:00pm, no one there for 12 hours a day — Official: I’ll check if they’re taking Sundays off (VIDEO) November 15, 2012
- Official: Calls to my office ‘going crazy’ about tremors in areas far away from giant sinkhole — Resident: “A lot of big quakes everywhere, like big ones” — USGS says it’s not happening (VIDEO) November 14, 2012
- State Rep: Sinkhole disaster could go on for “many, many years” — We need to understand what may happen if this thing goes any further (VIDEO) November 9, 2012
- Watch: Officials call in Louisiana State Police to giant sinkhole — Company kept dangerous gas a secret for 24 hours — People smelled hydrogen sulfide at their homes thinking it was rotten eggs (VIDEO) November 22, 2012