Shaking caused plant shutdown, Free Lance Star (Virginia), September 29, 2011:
Dominion reveals more about quake impact at North Anna in letters to NRC
[...] The NRC also asked Dominion whether there was any damage to fuel in the reactors. The fuel is thumbnail-size uranium dioxide pellets loaded into metal alloy rods that compose fuel assemblies.
Dominion said, “There is reasonable assurance that there was no significant physical or functional damage to the fuel.” [...]
‘Reasonable’ assurance there is no ‘significant’ damage to fuel?
Published: September 29th, 2011 at 6:51 pm ET
- Time.com: “Augmented Inspection Team” is only used when risk of reactor core damage rises by 100 — AIT already at quake-hit North Anna nuke plant September 1, 2011
- WaPo: NRC directs quake-hit North Anna nuke plant to inspect supports for Reactor Pressure Vessel — No “significant” problems? November 6, 2011
- Strong aftershock jolts quake-hit Virginia reactors — Epicenter in same county as North Anna nuke plant September 1, 2011
- Experts concerned about North Anna: “Uncomfortably close” to maximum quake that nuke plant was designed to withstand August 24, 2011
- Reuters: It now appears quake caused problem inside both reactor cores at North Anna, triggering shutdown -Officials September 9, 2011