(Subscription Only) Title: NOAA investigates: natural die-off, radiation?
Source: The Orange County Register
Author: ERIKA I. RITCHIE
Date: April 6, 2013 at 1:46a ET
NOAA investigates: natural die-off, radiation?
A team of experts assembled by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency is looking into radiation from Japan’s nuclear disaster as one of several possible causes of the ongoing sea lion stranding along Southern California beaches. [...]
Sea lions keep washing ashore, many in more critical condition than in the weeks before.
[...] All sea lions present similar symptoms, including dehydration and starvation. Some are also showing secondary infections. In Ventura County, mammal centers are finding a high amount of lice. [...]
“The radiation epidemic could be a potential cause,” [Sarah Wilkin, NOAA's California stranding coordinator] said. “We need to look at what’s different in 2013 as compared to 2012, 2011 and 2010. “We will work with lab tests that look at radionuclide signatures. Scientifically, we don’t think radiation is the cause but without testing and data we can’t say for sure. We need to rule it in or out.” [...]
“Marine mammals are sentinels of the eco system,” Wilkin said. [...]
Published: April 6th, 2013 at 10:21 am ET
- Fox News: Humans to be affected by what’s killing California sea lions? Would be sad if it’s because of Fukushima disaster (VIDEO) April 29, 2013
- TV: Historic number of sea lions washing up in S. California — Has reached “epidemic proportions” — Center declares state of emergency — Feds: “There’s something going on oceanographically” (VIDEO) March 17, 2013
- “Mysterious cancer” killing sea lions along US West Coast — Bones turning to “mush” — “Inside there’s just masses of yellow, cancerous tissue” — Animals dying at “alarming rates” (VIDEO) March 1, 2017
- Reports from California: “Something is going badly wrong offshore” — Stranding centers inundated with animals (VIDEO) March 16, 2013
- NOAA: Beaches full of dead baby sea lions off California, many aborted fetuses — Garbage bags filled with animals along coast — Carts in freezer overflowing with bodies — Official: Pollution may well have had an effect… We deliberately didn’t test for it (VIDEO) June 8, 2015