Los Alamos lab prepares to reopen as fire threat eases, Reuters, July 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm EDT:
[...] a squirrel sparked a small blaze on lab property on Saturday when it touched a transformer. That fire, which measured about an acre, was quickly extinguished, the lab said in a statement. [...]
Squirrel Blamed For Small Fire At LANL, AP, July 2, 2011:
The fire broke out at the lab substation Saturday in a site referred to by officials as Technical Area 53. [...]
Crews are patrolling the site to ensure it is out.
Technical Area 53 houses the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center which is used for nuclear physics experiments including weapons research.
Published: July 2nd, 2011 at 6:09 pm ET
- 5:24 pm ET: Fire has crossed onto Los Alamos lab property at Technical Area 49 June 27, 2011
- Fire near Los Alamos grows to 90,000 acres — Exactly where they have 3% of the fire contained is “unclear” June 30, 2011
- Fire officials “shocked” and “stunned” at how fast Los Alamos fire has grown June 27, 2011
- Fire in reactor containment at Swedish nuke plant blamed on Vacuum cleaner — Over $250 Million in losses November 14, 2011
- People in Albuquerque more concerned over black Rio Grande water from Los Alamos-area fire — State officials don’t believe any test results have come back (VIDEO) July 26, 2011