Title: Status of slicks from the Gulf’s Black Bay to the Macondo
Source: On Wings of Care
Photos: j. Brayton Matthews of Flightline First at New Orleans’ Lakefront Airport
Date: December 2, 2012
h/t Louisiana Sinkhole Bugle
[...] We were surprised to find a new drilling platform sitting almost right over the wellhead, and a large drillship also in the vicinity. We were dismayed to find many large surface slicks in the area [...]
The new platform that has appeared over the Deepwater Horizon wellhead bears the name “ENSCO 8502″. There was a fairly large slick about 2 miles northeast of it, about 2 nm long and about 100 m wide. But an even larger slick extended northwest almost directly from the new platform — this one almost 2 sq nm (4 sq km) in size.
[...] There is another slick about 1 nm to the east, which is about the same size as the smaller one to the north. Finally, there was yet another slick south of here, which was about 1 nm long (north-south) and about 50 m wide.
About 10 nm south of the ENSCO 8502 platform and the wellhead, we found a large mobile drillship [...] A small oil slick was adjacent to this drillship running westward about 500 m, about 10 m in width. Another 2 nm farther south was a working BP platform “MC474A”, which was flaring and which also had a small slick extending westward from it, about the same size, roughly 500 m in length and about 10 m wide. [...]
About 12 nm north of the Deepwater Horizon wellhead, southwest of Whiting Dome, we saw another large surface slick [...] This area is not included in a list of known natural seeps that we have surveyed for scientists in the Gulf, and we have not documented it in prior years, so more research is needed [...]
Published: December 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am ET
- TV: Massive oil sheen around BP Deepwater Horizon site in Gulf of Mexico (VIDEO) December 17, 2012
- Feds: Oil could be leaking from platform that exploded in Gulf (VIDEO) November 16, 2012
- Coast Guard: Two workers missing from burning oil platform in Gulf — Four airlifted off November 13, 2012
- New Photos: ‘Odd Ribbon Ripples’ Near BP Deepwater Horizon Disaster January 29, 2013
- Underwater footage of BP Deepwater Horizon disaster site — “Officials are still trying to identify the makeup of white droplets spotted in the water” (VIDEOS) January 2, 2013