Doomsday scenarios spread about No. 4 reactor at Fukushima plant
Shukan Asahi Weekly Magazine (via AJW by The Asahi Shimbun)
By HIDEO SATO
May 10, 2012
[...] Mitsuhei Murata, 74, a professor emeritus at Tokaigakuen University who once served as Japan’s ambassador to Switzerland, said, “The existence of the No. 4 reactor has become a major national security issue for the entire world that does not take a back seat even to North Korea’s missile issue.”
He had called for a halt to operations at the Hamaoka nuclear power plant even before the Great East Japan Earthquake struck last year, leading to the nuclear crisis.
“If an accident should occur at the No. 4 reactor, it could be called the start of the ultimate catastrophe for the world,” Murata said as a witness at an Upper House Budget Committee hearing in March. [...]
More from today:
- Tepco on risk at Unit No. 4: Spent Fuel Pool can withstand up to a lower-6 intensity quake without collapsing
- Asahi: Plan devised in US for expert committee to examine ways to resolve Fukushima 'problems' -- Shows many feel Tepco and Japan gov't can't be depended upon
- Mainichi Expert Sr. Writer: Gov't sources say No. 4 pool a grave concern -- Storage pool barely intact -- We have no time to humor senseless thinking of those who downplay the risks
- Murata: Former Japan Ambassador Warns Gov't Committee: "A global catastrophe like we have never before experienced" if No. 4 collapses -- Common Spent Fuel Pool with 6,375 fuel rods in jeopardy -- "Would affect us all for centuries"
- Wyden: WSJ: Very dangerous situation at Fukushima Daiichi says Senator -- Taking years to remove fuel "carries extraordinary and continuing risk" -- No comment from Tepco, Japan gov't -- Quake could send buildings tumbling down, resulting in "an even greater release of radiation"
- Gundersen: M7.0 quake can cause Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 to collapse -- New study warns fault nearby Daiichi plant ripped open on 3/11; 70% chance of big quake this year
- Gundersen: Move south of equator if Unit 4 fuel pool goes dry, that's probably the lesson there -- Like cesium from all 800 nuclear bombs ever dropped on Earth, except all at once (VIDEO)
- Alvarez: HuffPo: Large amounts of radioactive materials could be deposited across 1,000s of miles if water lost at Fukushima fuel pool -- Media just beginning to grasp that danger to world is far from over -Nuclear Expert
- Matsumura: Former UN adviser: If No. 4 pool collapses I've been told "during 50 years continual, you cannot contain" (VIDEO)
- Lyman: Paper: Physicist warns even if No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool survives another major quake, "failure of jury-rigged inadequate piping installed after disaster could put cooling system out of commission"
- Edwards: Canadian Nuclear Scientist: Another, even more dangerous possibility than fire at Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 -- Re-initiation of chain reaction can occur if fuel rods move slightly, an "accidental criticality"
- Burnie: Nuclear expert raises doubts about support columns under Spent Fuel Pool No.4 at Fukushima Daiichi (PHOTOS)
Published: May 11th, 2012 at 2:28 pm ET
- Ambassador Murata makes public statement in English: Once a quake beyond magnitude 6 or 7 happens, then the world starts heading towards the ultimate catastrophe — Unit 4 a global security issue (VIDEO) May 24, 2012
- Ambassador’s comments translated by Asahi: Another accident at No. 4 reactor building could cause the “final catastrophe of the world” May 21, 2012
- Former Japan Ambassador Warns Gov’t Committee: “A global catastrophe like we have never before experienced” if No. 4 collapses — Common Spent Fuel Pool with 6,375 fuel rods in jeopardy — “Would affect us all for centuries” April 6, 2012
- WATCH: Japan lawmakers warned about Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 during testimony of former ambassador (VIDEOS) April 9, 2012
- Japan Experts: Fukushima Unit 4 is the immediate crisis… entire world is concerned — No good solution for speeding up fuel removal January 31, 2013