At 9:30 in
- Katsutaka Idogawa, former mayor of Futaba in Fukushima Prefecture: There are still about 2 million people living in the prefecture, who have all sorts of medical issues. The authorities claim this has nothing to do with the radiation fallout from Fukushima. I demanded that the authorities substantiate their claim in writing, but they ignored my request. There are some terrible things going on in Fukushima. […] The biggest problem is that there is no one to help us. […] I talked to local authorities in different places in Fukushima, but no one would listen to me. They believe what the government says, while in reality radiation is still there — and it is killing children. They are dying of heart conditions, asthma, leukemia, thyroid complications. Lots of kids are extremely exhausted after school, others are simply unable to attend PE classes. But the authorities are still hiding the truth from us, and I don’t know why. Don’t they have children of their own? It hurts so much to know they can’t protect our children.
At 22:30 in
- Sophie Shevardnadze, host: The United Nations report on the radiation fallout from Fukushima says no radiation-related deaths or acute diseases have been observed among the workers and the general public exposed. So it’s not that dangerous after all? Or is there not enough information available to make proper assessments?
- Idogawa: This report is completely false. The report was made by a representative of Japan – Professor Hayano. Representing Japan, he lied to the whole world from the UN podium. It’s a real shame that the authorities hide the truth from the whole world, from the UN. We need to admit that actually many people are dying, we are not allowed to say that [...]
Published: April 21st, 2014 at 7:16 am ET
- TV Correspondent in Japan: I’ve come across terrible information — Health situation appears to be “much more risky” than what we see on Japan TV — Doctors and officials hiding the truth (VIDEO) December 13, 2013
- Former Mayor in Fukushima: Officials lied to everyone and hid the truth — It’s a violation of human rights to expose people to radiation like this, it’s terrible — Evacuees are forced to return, I’m really ashamed for my country (VIDEO) April 21, 2014
- NBC News: ‘Biblical devastation’ from Fukushima disaster, says former official — TV: “When I was mayor, I knew many people who died from heart attacks… many people in Fukushima died suddenly, even young people… Tepco employees also are dying, but everyone is keeping mum about it” (VIDEO) April 23, 2014
- Japanese citizens want answers about altered Fukushima photo: “What do you think they were hiding, and why do you think they were hiding it?” (VIDEO) September 4, 2012
- Analyst: Cost of admitting the truth about Fukushima is so great that Japan won’t admit it — Enough to make you question whether to live in Tokyo (VIDEO) June 12, 2012