Published: April 3rd, 2012 at 1:03 pm ET

Title: Fukushima…radiation so high – even robots not safe
Uploaded by: TheBigPictureRT
Upload Date: Mar 30, 2012

Kevin Kamps, Beyond Nuclear joins Thom Hartmann. More than a year into the nuclear crisis at Fukushima – radiation levels have now reached their highest point yet. What does all this mean – and what should nuclear supporters in America be taking away from the continuing crisis?

Transcript Excerpt at 5:25 in

Some good news is the Prime Minister of Japan who was serving when the catastrophe began and was quickly ousted some months later, Kan, he’s now devoting himself to nuclear activism. He now wants to abolish nuclear power in Japan.

Title: The Fukushima Lie
Source: ZDF (German TV)
Author: Documentary by Johannes Hano, camera Heiko Käberich, Toby Marshall
Upload Date: Mar 22, 2012
Uploaded by: Steven Morello
Translation by: Steven Muschalik
Subtitles by: Jerry Sa
Original Link: http://zoom.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/9/0,1872,8235273_idDispatch:11369630,00.html

At 0:10 in

PRIME MINISTER KAN: For a long time in Japan, especially the last 10-20 years, there has been a suppression of statements in relation to the dangers of nuclear power.

When specialists from Universities state that certain risks could exist then they risk their future career.

Politicians often receive financial support from the energy companies.

However when one speaks out about the risks of nuclear energy then one loses this support.

On the other side of the coin, when you agree with nuclear energy, you receive generous donations.

This also applies for culture, sport and it includes the media.

Due to these ties an environment has been created in which criticisms can hardly be spoken.

This is why the Nuclear Village is not a problem limited to a small area, but encompasses the whole country. [...]

h/t Nuke Pro

Published: April 3rd, 2012 at 1:03 pm ET

1. Wife of Japan’s Pro-Nuke Prime Minister: “I’m opposed to nuclear power” — “My heart aches to see him selling nuclear power overseas” June 11, 2013
  2. Japan Times: Prime Minister’s position on nuclear power “extremely regrettable” — “Deplorable” decision to continue fuel cycle project January 1, 2013
  3. “Awe-Inspiring”: Latest footage from inside massive protests at Prime Minister’s residence — Battle between people of Japan and their gov’t “just seems to intensify more and more” (VIDEOS) June 23, 2012
  4. “It was a failure”: Ex-Prime Minister Murayama apologizes for supporting nuclear power — Says gov’t yet to tell public why Fukushima Daiichi crisis occurred April 10, 2012
  5. CNN: Urgent – Emergency repairs reported at largest nuclear power plant in Europe — Prime Minister: I know that a nuclear accident has occurred (VIDEO) December 3, 2014

72 comments to Former Prime Minister Kan reveals nuclear coverup — After Fukushima he’s “devoting himself to nuclear activism, he now wants to abolish nuclear power in Japan” (VIDEOS)

• Anthony Anthony

The headline alone says everything.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Yep, Kan is doing the right thing. And after he's done getting it abolished in Japan, I hope he travels abroad and speaks to other countries.

• farawayfan farawayfan

I'm not sure how to react to this…it sounds too good to be true. I sincerely hope he is going to try to draw back the veil in a meaningful manner. I particularly hope he will work to reveal the Fuku disaster ongoing….

How long before the defamation, lawsuits, and worse begin?

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

Radiation exposure from nuclear power is an assault upon all living things. If former Prime Minister is willing to stand up to the nuclear village in Japan he is standing up for the world and if successful he should be given the Nobel Prize for Peace.

• Anthony Anthony

Totally agree.

He is doing something important if there is a anti-nuke movement at all.

Maybe if people are respectful to him he can tell us many many many things we NEED to know.

In Canada its called Crossing the Floor.

• nohobear nohobear

Kan is a little late to the party, but nevertheless could be a powerful anti nuke voice, which we need more of. Motivations? An attack of conscience perhaps? A genuine desire to help the people of Japan after he's seen the (gamma) light? An attempt to rehabilitate his reputation before the Japanese people start stringing up their "leaders" from the nearest lamp posts, for allowing their children to be poisoned? Maybe a little of all the above.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Kan.. flew over Fukushima..
    (content removed)
    He knows what's up…in many many ways…

• Whoopie Whoopie

#Fukushima: John Hall – 'I Told You So': http://youtu.be/hpCmD59SqqQ via @youtube
    First new music by two-term Congressman and famed songwriter John Hall, singing about the nuclear disaster unfolding in Japan and the risks posed by other plants.
    Wow…just wow!

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

He could start by telling us ..how many have died were/are injured and/or exposed…

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

though I welcome this man coming to the light, I'll not be deceived by his having 'found religion'. Go back people and review his actions when TEPCO and his government were assuring the world and the Japanese people that all was under control. They now know the jig is up. And the actions he's now taken were predicted months ago. We all knew that Fukushima was the death's nail in the coffin of nuclear power! So, I suspect he's doing this out of self preservation. He's smells the burning of tar and wants to get-out ahead of the raging mob. But in a way, this is good as his 'credibility' will likely contribute to an accelerated decline in any further support of this devastating industry…

• BRICS

I'm doubtful any of this will make news in the US or Canada, besides the contamination is so bad nothing can really be done for anyone. I don't have the financial resources to survive this neither does anyone else in my family it was foolish of me to hope I could even try. Wish I had never even searched "what really happened at Fukushima" :'(

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

You will survive this.

• BRICS

I've "conjoined potatoes" in my pantry and yellow leaved bushes on my neighbor's lawn that would beg to differ.

• Baking soda and bentonite … cheap still …while you can get it

P.s. bows for being wakened up … rads are very rough stuff

• StillJill StillJill

I live on $850 a Month my friend,….and I am surviving California's best! I'm only 11 months over pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver,stage 3.

Like B&B said,…"you CAN survive this"!

And, like chem said,…baking soda,…it's .57 a pound at WINCO. And bentonite clay as low as $15 for 4#'s animal grade.
          We do what we have to do! :-)

• BRICS

Seriously we all know what "they" have planned for the aftermath, not only that my family would never believe any of this. Thanks for the sentiment though.

• StillJill StillJill

I liken 'our situation' to the old 60's cartoon,…Duddly Doright,……remember him? He was always cutting Penelope off of the railroad tracks just before D-day. We are all on the conveyor belt,……and the buzz-saw looms. Whether or not 'we' have the immune system to 'stand up' and run back away from the 'buzz-saw', or not,….depends on us.

In a word,….this race is OURS to 'win', or 'loose'!

Fukushima,…the great equalizer!

If the 'little man' takes excellent care of him/herself,……they will toss dirt on the 'fatcats' grave! :-)

• Come now, this ain't over not even close. We have a reprieve in radiation readings and sentiment is turning strongly against the nukes.

This is the time to buck up and win even if you have taken a few body shots.

• StillJill StillJill

Yes,…indeed Stock! :-)

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

listening to a rebroadcast of Rense today, where he was interviewing a weekly guest who said that if SPF4 goes, the release will be equivalent to 30,000 nuclear bombs. I don't know what he was basing this projection on, but if it's even remotely true, we're all screwed big time…

• ENENews

Not sure about that one but I did catch this during the same segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y99Fz8AY5Aw

• 400,000 lbs divided by 12 = 33,000.

400,000 lbs of spent fuel, with at least .9% plutonium, thats 4000 lbs of plutonium.

Divided by about 12 pounds to make a nuke bomb.

Not sure a "scrambled egg" nuke fire would be equivalent to a nuke bomb, but it is certainly within reason to think that the releases could be 5% of a nuke bomb minimal. That would be like 600 bombs.

They are criminals for not already de-loaded this pool no matter how hot the rods are, no matter what the risk of even dropping a rod with a remote crane. Asshats!

• SteveMT

Remove Kan's name and replace it with any of the ones below:
    Hitler, Chairman Mao, Mussolini, Idi Amin Dada, or Satan.
    They would be saying and doing the same thing as Kan.
    Conclusion: Political expediency is the tool of the morally bankrupt.

• flatsville

I have to agree. This is a case of "Cover Your Ass" if there ever was one.

He knows that at any time, the next earthquake…heavy storm…whatever…could bring down SFP #4.

He's looking to be held harmless by his new found anti-nuclear activism.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

I hate to see someone who might have come forward, to make amends, only to be assailed by those who oppose the use of this technology within the Earth's biosphere. Given the complete coverup by corporate controlled media and the ongoing denial of the seriousness of this catastrophe (which, during his tenure, he could have exposed!), I refuse to blithely accept this man's change of heart. Now, if I see him start naming-names and calling for the arrest of his former compatriots, then I – might – take him serious…

• StillJill StillJill

He'll have to demonstrate REMORSE in order to be forgiven, of course. At this point,…we SEE that he is sorry he got caught.

He could still be very valuable to us. Let's "USE" his sorry ass.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

I'm not in any way opposed to forgiving others if they're really filled with remorse. I just don't want these people thinking they'll be able to bamboozle us with a few tears. He knows where the skeletons are buried; let's see him use that forefinger for something other than wiping away his tears. If he doesn't have the courage to name-names, then I don't care what conversion he may have had…

• Don't be so negative on Kan, his voice carries what 100,000 of our voices do.

German report and interview on Kan

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@stock: I watched the video and it was awesome! Thanks for posting this link.

I now agree with your call that we respect Kan for his efforts. They do appear to be genuine.

Thanks for the righteous smack upside-the-head. I'm getting extremely frustrated with these ongoing revelations. Still, I should know better than to let such angst get the better of me…

P.S. I had to hit the "CC" button to get subtitles. This video is a must-see people!

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

Thank you stock@hawaii.rr.com, excellent video. I second that it is a MUST See.

• The Blue Light.

One thing I think we should remember about Kan is that he is just a politician and not a nuclear physicist. These people are surronded by so called experts (place men for the likes of TEPCO). If your car gets fixed by an expert mechanic and then the wheels fall off is it your fault for not knowing how to put the wheels on or the experts.
    What he has to do though, is prove to the people of the world that he really means what he is now saying. He cannot expect to be accepted by any anti nuclear campaign on the strength of one interview. Explaining to people how the 'nuclear village' is corrupting politics, governance and the media would be a good start.

• Buffalojam

Blue Light – Perhaps we could judge the sincerity of Kan's change of heart by offering him the opportunity to be a prosecutorial witness in the criminal cases recently filed by Japanese civic groups against Tepco and various government agencies. This would not only allow him to explain the corrupting influence of the nuclear industry on many Japanese institutions but, also take an active part in doing something about it. We should be aware that his testimony might involve business and governmental leaders from around the world.

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

I agree with the view that he has to name names & be willing to take a more than a few body shots to uncover all those involved. HE approved the release of those SPEEDI reports to the U.S. & did NOT use them to protect the citizens of Japan. The very same citizens that paid his salary, gave him a warm bed & food & the plate he ate it off of. He certainly is not living on the street, so he is receiving a pension & who knows what else as a result of his prior position.

He also could have helped ensure that the world was informed of the high readings in order for the people to protect themselves. For parents to protect their children. He had the power & the knowledge.

So now it is time to use that knowledge & the power of the position he held to *make right…I will roll out the red carpet for him if he follows through.

• StillJill StillJill

Well stated MaidenHeaven!

• The Blue Light.

I have always felt that Kan's use of the simplistic evacuation model shows that he was been poorly advised, or worse, deliberately mis-advised.
    I think the claim that he did not know about the SPEEDI model until after his evacuation plan was put in motion shows that TEPCO was using it's supporters in the Japanese government to run interference and keep Kan in the dark.
    This then gave TEPCO the time it needed to use all of its influence on the MSM and the monitoring agencies to start the process of down playing the seriousness of the accident, a process which it carries on to this day.
    In Japanese society for Kan to admit that his own advisers had done this would have been a grave loss of face, But by remaining silent he became complicit in the cover up.
    Kans only way forward now is to either shut up and tow the line or work like hell to bring the people responsible to justice and expose the corruption and mismanagement that were the prime causes of the accident and then, maybe, he will be able to sleep at night.
    Any question of forgiveness is beyond me to give.

• glowfus

if mr.kan is realy really in favor of a nuclear free world than he is more than welcome. and if this is true, then i congradulate him for this common sense discovery. and on a completely irrelevant and selfish note, i lost my cat of 12 years and it sucks.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Let's not forget it was Kan who made Tepco stay at the plant they wanted to leave behind after 3/11. I'd say he saved a lot of lives that moment.
    I'm not sure if every other Japanese politician would've done that. I guess those even closer to "nuclear village" might have allowed Tepco to evacuate the premises.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Thank you, B & B…I think we need to thank Kan for doing, at least sometimes, the right things in this situation. He is speaking out well now. And he did some rigtheous things from the start. I'm pretty skeptical; but I do want to commend when I see righteous action. And I think Kan is trying and has tried to the best of his ability and the space he is allowed.

• The Blue Light.

I had Five cats Tinkerbella (big momma), Tigger (little sister), Pumpkin (big ginger coward born on haloween), Marmalade (mr laid back) and Sinbad (the acrobat). They were all of a similar age and died within 10 months of each other and it broke my heart so you truly have my heart felt sympathies.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Oh Kitties, Pooties, whatever they are called here. I love them and dolphins and most lving things, even the ugly or clumsy ones. I am so sorry for your kitty losses.