Title: Arnold Gundersen with the first 2012 Fukushima update
Source: If You Love This Planet Radio with Dr. Helen Caldicott
Date: Feb. 11, 2011
This week Dr Caldicott receives another update on Fukushima from nuclear engineer Arnold Gundersen. After this conversation, we hear another excerpt of Dr. Caldicott’s lecture at a conference on Chernobyl in Berlin in 2011. [...]
Transcript Excerpt 16:40 in
Dr. [Genn] Saji who used to work for the regulator [former Secretariat of Japan's Nuclear Safety], now he’s a retired independent consultant, just finished some calculations on the airborne gases that left the reactor in the first day or two, and it’s not iodine-131 that he was tracking.
He was tracking iodine-133, which is a much bigger health concern, but it’s got like a two day half, so it disappears in a week or two so nobody had a chance to check.
But when the kids absorbed it into their thyroid, it likely was a major contributor to thyroid dose that went totally undetected by the system because by the time authorities got around to looking it was gone.
He said he was appalled by the calculations he did that indicate very high thyroid doses from 133 iodine. [...]
It’s neglected in any calculations the Japanese gov’t is doing.
Listen to the full broadcast here
Listen to the clip below:
Published: February 13th, 2012 at 10:57 am ET
- Caldicott in Japan: “Incredibly rare” thyroid abnormalities found in 40% of Fukushima children — Indicates a really high dose of radiation, higher than at Chernobyl (VIDEO) November 20, 2012
- Mainichi publishes report on thyroid cancer: 30% in Fukushima now with tumors of 2cm or less, thyroid gland only 5cm by 3cm total — Claims cancer increases after 10 sievert radiation dose, so Japan ok (10,000 millisieverts) April 27, 2012
- Absorbed radiation dose of iodine-132 was 10 times higher than iodine-131 in Northern Japan after Fukushima meltdowns — Plus iodine-132 is 9 times more ‘effective’ at irradiating thyroid November 17, 2011
- US Military starts registry for people developing health conditions after being in Japan — Says Tokyo babies had 12 millisievert radiation dose to thyroid in weeks after 3/11 (MAP) September 6, 2012
- Japan Professor: Fukushima crisis is leading to surge in thyroid cancers… First signs of health catastrophe — NHK: Trend seen in new cancer tests is ‘suspicious’ (VIDEO) August 23, 2013