FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread

Published: October 1st, 2014 at 12:00 pm ET
9,358 comments

Got the old thread up and working again, but starting a new one so it stops having problems (hopefully).

The previous Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread can be found here: http://enenews.com/fukushima-webcam-discussion-thread

This thread is for discussing matters related to the webcam(s) at Fukushima Daiichi.

UPDATE (via Nuckelchen): “Please note the ‘jst’ time of your observation. Also, describe as best as possible, what you see. Using North, South, East, and West to describe locations. Be specific whenever possible. This may sometimes be the ONLY record we have of such events.”

Webcam Video Archive:

Watch the JNN/TBS feed here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tbsnewsi/featured

Direct Link to Tepco Webcam: http://mfile.akamai.com/127380/live/reflector:51361.asx

Alternative Direct Link: http://mfile.akamai.com/127380/live/reflector:52045.asx

Published: October 1st, 2014 at 12:00 pm ET
9,358 comments

1. FORUM: General Nuclear Issues Discussion Thread October 1, 2014
  2. FORUM: Off-Topic Discussion Thread (Non-Nuclear Issues) October 1, 2014
  3. FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here September 1, 2014
  4. FORUM: Alternative Energy — Converting to clean, renewable energy sources September 4, 2012
  5. FORUM: What should be done about Japan burning radioactive debris? September 1, 2012

9,358 comments to FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread

• califnative califnative

Hey Teri-I wondered what that was on the lens, it's been there for a while now. I really can't determine if the horizon line is part of the barrier, it seems it goes out pretty far.

I happen to see a swarm of BUGS in front of cam1, they where long bodied so maybe dragonflies. Then I saw three birds fly through, hard to imagine any wildlife is surviving there.

Tepco wasn't shy to day, captured a few of interest starting at 7:44am JST 3-26-16 JNN cam.
    http://postimg.org/image/ovgyn5p17/ this person never moves from the corner spot on the tent roof, I can see it moving or maybe it's one of these.

• That horizon dark line didn't seem to move at all while the white lines of breakers in front did..rise and crest and fall like surf does. In older pictures the line between water and sky isn't as definitive, especially on a grey day so…shoulder shrug? :) Maybe more of the pipes' tops were showing as ground underneath and currents created a low I hadn't seen before. (It was midway though, going towards next high tide. And no storm)

I've seen a couple birds in the distance usually not in the plant though. Once a crow was closer to the cam.

Hmmm, with that roof corner by the new narrow tent? Today that's where I saw all kinds of tiny *men moving* but wasn't totally sure if a couple small cranes weren't dropping more smaller supplies up there. But then at one point, no pixels and it looked like both was happening…the materials and a group of men walking pretty fast, working, bending, etc. Tepco seems to intently be adding/replacing more of the big roof pipes (or fixing bolts where they join) and of course the new long tent, maybe some new ventilation stuff on the roofs here and there? And R1 has some additional sloped edging now.

Really seems like they're working full speed with trying to contain and seal in increased radiation re higher readings they detected? #1 They know every bldg has a hot mess beneath it. #2 They have to seal the walls and roofs better to prevent bigger aerial emissions.

Men couldn't be on roofs too long IMO.

• jec jec

Sequence..the 'dumping of ?? resin' over Reactor 3, now the activity. Bet TEPCO is trying to remove fuel rods. Per simplyinfo, the action was to start soon. "men should NOT be on roofs too long IMO.." very very correct. They are likely toasted with that radiation. Good images you all have captured.

• Thanks jec. I almost wonder if any fuel rods remain above ground surface to remove and that's why the fervor to thicken, reinforce or seal up all surfaces, roofs included. That pre equinox storm knocked the you know what out of several roof edges IMO. I think it's truly advancing into the hide it all, forget about it stage quickly now.

Also at the time I thought they removed that one blinking light device and replaced it permanently with different shaped taller one there?…maybe I was wrong. Last couple days it looks like both are there, one in front of the other. Can't see the blinky one's shape so well because of the taller one obscuring it.

Might just have been one (or the other) alone by the railing off and on too. It was so grey and stormy I couldn't always see through the jittery screen jumps during the times I was looking. If they are measuring devices, it's possible they "borrowed" one to measure rads briefly in other areas of the site before Tepco made their news cast.

• I hate it too when the page changes from previous links…oh well, 2 tabs it is, lol. so the group of *men* I saw were all white suited if that means anything. Often the grey shapes turn out to be the huge rings where the silver pipes connect and jumping pixels and reflections fool me. But something different about the connections too…looking more substantial, larger maybe. I won't be able to watch tomorrow as have a whole town day to do.
    I'll try to catch up on the archived ones later.

Oh, the bottom edge barely showing over the trees on your TBS/JNN cap is where the white more pillow shapes seem to be higher than before. A temporary staging area because no other room to put all the lower level radioactive garbage and suit gear?

YUP higher and higher Tepco… Man, I see so many, sometimes tarped, big cube containers coming and going on the futaba cam. Very long flat beds for those and also multitudes of the sturdy triple axle trucks for heavy loads with low metal sides. (Tarped when they leave.) And bigger than normal what look like cement mixer trucks a few times too. That would go along with the cranes moving and dumping or spraying that we see. Without an aerial, can't say on what though, darn. Looks like all along on top of the long row of dark bldgs but could easily be behind them on the ocean side.

• jec jec

TBS webcam 4, south, 03262015 22:56 JST Time. LARGE blue pixel(s) seen forming, and flowing up from the the dark grey rectangle (photoshopped coverup?) on the right of the vent stack and in front of Reactor 3 building. More yellow pixels at the left side of screen near the CFP and Reactors 1/2. At the same time TBS webcam 1, north, increased emissions compared to the past month..mainly seen covering the right HALF of the screen over the buildings. More seen behind Reactor 2–is this coming from Reactor 3..or is it from the sea level? Futabagun webcam shows dry roads, light over the plant; vent stacks are clearly lighted up, no obvious steaming of emissions into the sky at this time.

• I couldn't get into this page at first, wonder if the new(old familiar) shill yapping in the other thread is up to no good. glad they ID'd him. Anyway, got a decent shot showing the new roof work and re-posting it here.
    >Big changes at the plant…all those truckloads of silver pipe I've watched go by on the Futaba cam? Many are part of the new roof work and other additions are also happening on the site.

I see 2 interesting devices that are parked in the corner in front of the white railing, maybe reading rad levels, since the rectangular one has blinking lights. I don't know how long they've been there…my screen grabs are too recent to compare.<

• AirSepTech AirSepTech

Damn, the south cam looks bad right now, the corner of R2 is almost not distinguishable from the background.(rt side/se corner)

Have they ever replaced these cams? kind of bums me out as it gets closer to seeing more action on R1&3.

• Looks like fog is moving in…yeak, some new cams would sure help.
      I just got a look at north cam too. Clear-er there, can't see the fog much at north side of R1

Emissions are all colors as dusk begins to reflect in low sun angle. Can see the horizon pretty good.

• AirSepTech AirSepTech

The horizon, you asked about that and the time lapse vid.

I looked at it pretty good, over R3 and the 'crack' between R1&2.

I tried to think of the distance to the horizon, the sun on the water, the heavy cloud action.

I felt the time lapse/cloud timing was messing with my perception, that the reflection off the water, clouds rolling/shadowing, cam speed made it look like breakers. Don't remember the Wx, or swell forecast.

Just from 5-10 min. of looking at it, seemed at the end of the vid it died down a lot, was the clouds or something i forget. I should go back and look closely, slow it down, get all critical to have a big opinion, haha. Maybe in the morn, gotta hit the sack.

Just some thoughts when I first saw it.

• Oh thanks…that time lapse was tricky to get a grab from for me…I'm still a baby with the apps available and adjustments but tried to at least get it before the next priority of the day prevails, lol.

Last night before I hit the sack I took this while the view of the horizon was fairly clear. I know the black object is always there but have never known if it's a big barge anchored out there or a large rock sticking up out of the sea or something on the barrier or what. Also I need get more shots of where that pale pixelation occurs. I think I've noticed it before as something that never moves across the screen along with other clouds.

• califnative califnative

Teri, I fell for the floating black object just above R2 on webcam1 as well but it's the end of a crane you can see on cam4. Just another TEPCO webcam trickery. I mentioned this a few days ago when I think you were off line during that electrical outage.

The other black object sitting on the horizon is also something attached at the end of V shaped crane. Found a favorite picture taken in January (pink blue torpedoes)that shows a pretty clear picture of that area.

All Things Nuclear website shows how close the shoreline is behind R4 on photo 4. Found this through Stock's Nuke Pro picture section.

• OK, thanks. My pic wasn't as clear as I thought or wanted it to be. :) In fact there might be another obscuring grey piece of crud stuck on the lens there too as it doesn't seem to change it's shape and flutter rate as much as other further away pixels. That crane must not have the typical red paint next to the black end. I can't see any increased glow that red paint usually shows undulating like crazy. Probably a distance thing.

Yeah I like that aerial with good ID's…hadn't seen it. Now if only we could see what building tops look like currently, same view. Would really help see what exactly they've been adding to the roofs. And figure out for what reason.

My power was off again for a couple hours this evening. I think I need a laptop and a router soon. Drives me nuts when I can't get online.

• jec jec

TBS webcam 1, north, 03292015 22:39 JST time (timestamp) shows heavy radiation type emissions steaming up from the wreckage of Reactors 3 and 4. From this angle, it is a little difficult to determine location, but with Nuckelchens video above for a guide..the steaming activity BEHIND Reactor 2 looking out towards the sea and over Reactor3 is over the port area. It is also a heavy emission source seen over Reactor 2s roof and towards the south. Is the steam/emissions coming from seawater now? TBS webcam 4, south, shows the regular emission view -with the radiation dome or bubble of pixels covering up a good part if not all the sky.

Futabagun webcams, same time stamp, shows a lighted up sky no clouds, and the streets are dry . However the screen of the webcam is either damaged or the intersection is showing some pixeliation/issues. Since the same camera lense is used for both distant and close up..think the situation is at the crossroad area. Same place we saw firetrucks one day, people the next. This post is wordy, but its a way to document for later.

• 7.7 EQ just reported in Papua New Guinea. Tsunami wave expected but not believed dangerous.

• bf9 bf9

NETC monitors around Fukushima still extremely elevated. "Defcon 2" is what I'd give the present situation.

• jec jec

TBS webcam 1,north,shows continuous heavy emissions from behind or over Reactor 2 and over Reactors 3 and 4. Ongoing…might be the reason for the elevated DEFCON 2 comment(@bf9). Car seen driving backwards on Futabagun webcam, TBS 4 shows same-same emissions with a few extra photoshopped coverups on the screen. Now if those are STEEL buildings–will eat my hat! Futabagun, view of plant, shows bright lights over the southern side of the facility..and south. Wonder what Mr. TEPCOman is working on? Cant be the frozen wall..since per Fukushima-Diary,TECPO has finally quit on that failed project(quietly!). How much did that mistake cost????

• Agreed that emissions are quite high today on the TEPCO cams, especially visible on cam 1.

TBS has a strange orange tinge when I checked last.

Plant was more illuminated than it has been for awhile on the Futaba cam.

I did see a truck heading toward plant on the Futaba cam a couple of hours ago so I presume that work continues.

I've noticed the upward trend in NETC radiation readings in northern Japan over past 4 or 5 days as well. Readings have been rising in the US today, according to Netc, which relies primarily on EPA for US data.

Heads Up!!!

• 5:14jst, pink fog as sun rise begins at plant cam1, low pale ground fog prevails at futaba intersection cam. Opposite futaba view towards plant showing distinct thicker pink layer of fog/cloud in area mostly north of Daiichi.

TBS/JNN off air momentarily so didn't see it. :) Wish they'd replace that old thing. I get 3-4 e-mail notifications a day sometimes, saying when it's back on.

• TBS cam is now down

Strangely foggy on TEPCO cams. Fog can be seen via Futaba cam, although the rising sun may burn it off (its 6:52 am), presuming its normal fog. Rising sun is making the air above the site sickly pink.

I'm not sure the fog is "normal." My screenshots from earlier this morning indicated very heavy emissions from unit 3 area, which has just had a problem with the gate for the spent fuel pool (see main discussion forum). No fog was visible at that time.

The pink glow now visible on the Futaba cam has coincided with documented rising radiation levels in the past. But, vehicles can be seen driving to the plant (good news).

Still, I see on Netc that radiation levels are even higher in northern Japan now at 6:52 3/31/2015 AM than they were 5 hours ago. Getting hot!

Here are screenshots

• IMO, fog is one more vehicle that carries the radiation so at times it hugs areas more than usual, doesn't want to move. I watched heavy low fog banks for 2 months go up and down a little (very little) on the streets through the weeks and surrounding ridges where I live. Carries other pollution particles too of course. (I'm still not happy at the thought of all the unknowns Tepco burns in their shiny new incinerator.) Where is that one exactly located BTW?

• califnative califnative

The fog, weather says it's suppose to be mostly sunny all morning between 9-11am JST.

JNN cam down, watching fog move in and out of the cam1 and cam4, my question is wouldn't there be dew on the lens from the moisture in the air? I haven't seen anything.
    http://postimg.org/image/e18h3iubj/ 9:16am cam1
    http://postimg.org/image/5z5g2bs9z/ 9:30am
    http://postimg.org/image/khpxlpvhh/ 9:33am cam4

• I went through a couple months of fog here and never had a drop of condensation or dew on my windows or cold surfaces around the yard. It's always been that way, even if I can't see down the block. :) And forecasts aren't specialized enough to describe mini- areas so…I just look out the window. LOL

I think that Fukushima forecast is good for *expected* wind speeds, directions and general conditions. I've watched the fog move in and out and up and down at Daiichi proper, while at the same time, in the further away futaba area I've only rarely seen it actually move clear across the west inland ridge or creep across the fields as it did this morning.

Also I'm told TBS/JNN is up on a hill further away yet and gets rebroadcast live from the cam by the local TV station but I searched all over and couldn't find the TV station OR the cam's exact location. Must not be very high in elevation or the cam's view would be more looking down at the roofs than it is.

• califnative califnative

K, just thought there would be something on the dang lens. I'm trying to see what direction the fog is moving by watching the pixels on cam4, it seem like it's coming over from the top of R4 and then there are two spot areas over the pipes, the same area the men were walking around not long ago. The top of the smoke stack are showing and the fog is flowing down the middle. It almost seems like the fog is coming out of the two areas over the pipes.

http://postimg.org/image/79tof7irf/ 10:18am
    http://postimg.org/image/5eixl10xl/ 10:26am

• freebywill

@cali fyi Palo Verde unit 3 refueling scheduled for Apr 4, averages 31 days.

If u have time might be good to take some gc readings before and during for comparison.

• jec jec

03312015 22:00 JST TIME. TBS webcam 1,north, still high emissions could be more than yesterday behind Reactor 2. Reactor 1 on the right side, behind, also increased. TBS webcam 4, shows blue colored pixels, yellow near left side buildings. @Majia, your comments on Futabgun must have touched a nerve, the webcam is down right now. Wonder if the comments on the LIGHTS highlighting the skys over the plant, the lights to the south, and comment of NEW INCINERATOR burning radioactive materials into the sky made TEPCO uncomfortable. Those 'pokes' disturb the status quo of TEPCO, you know…

• jec jec

Futabagun webcam up at 22:46 -shows haze rising over the southern area..and some haze over Reactors 5/6 location to the north.

• jec jec

03312015 23:39 JST time. JNN is showing a lot haze..now it could be camera out of focus to hide whats happening. Always suspicious when focus is so bad. TBS webcam 1 shows continuous emissions, heavy emission from the right side of screen and to the center behind the two reactor buildings, Reactor 1 and 2. Concerning as radiation levels are increasing according to NETC monitors, and Iodine-131 increasing in Toyko victims. Sludge tells the story–sludge is from human waste.

• Rising radiation levels all over Japan according to Netc.

TEPCO cam 1 looks foggy with pink hue.

Ditto TEPCO cam 4.

Futaba cam shows a vague pinkness over plant but that could be optical effect, while I'm not so sure about cams 1 and 4.

TBS cam is up but view is obscured.

I'm concerned about rising rads and the admission by TEPCO about the gate problem with 3. Even if the admission is a red herring, it probably is coinciding with some problem that has become more critical at the site. TEPCO often admits to non-existent problems when they have issues.

Traffic is lighter but there are still vehicles going to plant on Futaba cam.

• tbg

There was a red spot persisting on the Tepcam 4, its been coming and going larger and smaller for a while but of course its slowing down now that I decided to post it. All other cams are normal rainy haze, with TBS doing the rained out colors.

Ene and all threads were down a little while ago and now the main login link is giving me a noscript php cross scripting error, so I used the login to reply workaround and it seems to be ok.

• mt1000

smoke making a different appearance now… a second 'puff' appears on the right (not attached to the usual black blob we always see on this view at night).

Lots of arcing (now, JST 19:47:00)
    Conditions are rainy and some wind shown on the Futaba traffic cam – http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

• mt1000

oh, … the smoke is all turning white (just a moment later)…
      arcing way increased – more than on this next screen grab.

And no, it isn't rain on the lens. You can watch it morph on the archive vid later. White smoke billows at 19:55:00 JST.
      Futaba cam shows rain-on-lens and other rain FX.

• jec jec

Wonder what the Iodine-131 levels in Tokyo sludge will be as winds are blowing this 'arcing' mess south and over Tokyo. Give it three days..or so..a week, and if someone can find the 'sludge levels' going UP UP UP…its at least one marker of criticality affecting humans (and the rest of the environment, we are just 'loaned' the earth and inhabitants).

• PhilipUpNorth PhilipUpNorth

Jec,
          More coorelations between steam & smoke events on webcams, wind conditions, and Tokyo Sewage Sludge I131 readings. Good! :)

Those readings are from tables written in Japanese.
          Perhaps Bobby1 can bring his graph up to date for us.
          Perhaps I'll have a look for those tables, later this week, and will post them to your attention.
          I will be interested to see how often the I131 readings are taken.
          And interested to see the coorelation with smoking at the plant.

• jec jec

Arcing stopped now, 10:20 AM USA Eastern time. If this was just lens issues..since its still raining..you should still see the arcs. They quit. Blobs on lenses..or damage to lenses..stay until the humdity dies down. Its wet and high humidity.