FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread — New as of April 2016

Published: January 1st, 2016 at 11:01 am ET

Previous Fukushima Webcam Discussion Threads can be found here:

This thread is for discussing matters related to the webcam(s) at Fukushima Daiichi.

UPDATE (via Nuckelchen): “Please note the ‘jst’ time of your observation. Also, describe as best as possible, what you see. Using North, South, East, and West to describe locations. Be specific whenever possible. This may sometimes be the ONLY record we have of such events.”

Webcam Video Archive:

Watch the JNN/TBS feed here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tbsnewsi/featured

Direct Link to Tepco Webcam: http://mfile.akamai.com/127380/live/reflector:51361.asx

Alternative Direct Link: http://mfile.akamai.com/127380/live/reflector:52045.asx

Published: January 1st, 2016 at 11:01 am ET

1. FORUM: General Nuclear Issues Discussion Thread — New as of April 2016 January 1, 2016
  2. FORUM: Off-Topic Discussion Thread (Non-Nuclear Issues) — New as of January 2017 January 2, 2016
  3. FORUM: Petitions, Ballot Initiatives, Other Signature Drives (VIDEO) September 1, 2015
  4. FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here January 1, 2016
  5. FORUM: Alternative Energy — Converting to clean, renewable energy sources September 4, 2015

434 comments to FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread — New as of April 2016

• Horse Horse

Yup, Nuckelchen is right, it is booring in here sometimes. I blame it on tepco. They’re almost six years into a delay game that will go on for centuries waiting for time to halve some of that ‘safe’ radiation. They don’t report much being accomplished lately. They haven’t done much since the earthquake that we can see on the tepcams. Time-lapse archive updates are gone; public can’t get an overview to comment on. TBS-JNN has been off-air since that last quake right when we started seeing sparks on that camera. For me, watching the tepcams was more than just looking for the next sensational event; it was to keep an eye on tepco’s remediation and response to four dirty bombs on the coast. Nuclear war is upon us every time nuclear material is concentrated and escapes containment. I want to see who wins that war.

Ian Anderson – Heavy Metals

• Horse Horse

Fukushima breakthrough? Japan’s TEPCO finds possible nuclear fuel debris
    "The exciting find on Monday was made by a remote-controlled camera fitted on a long pipe, MHK reports. Underneath the No. 1 plant, just below the inactive Reactor 2 – one of three that had melted down in 2011 – scientists with TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) saw a black spot they had not seen before, and one not visible in recordings taken prior to the catastrophe."

• Pete

Does TBS work for anyone anymore? I've been watching for a few years thru ustream but I let my subscription expire and stopped watching.

Now it appears the channel is Off Air all the time, does anyone else have an alternate site that works?

Or is it just gone now too?

• Good day Pete. Here are the links you probably already have.
    You'll recognize the old beast.
    Cam 1 http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index2-j.html
    From left to right, Reactor 1, #2, #3 beyond
    Cam 4 http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index-j.html
    From left to right, csfp (common spent fuel pool) Reactor #2,#3 and #4

• Dr. Anne Lee Tomlinson Maziar Dr. Anne Lee Tomlinson Maziar

Oroville Lake Down 52 Feet, but 9 Upstream Reservoirs to Flood
    21 Feb 2017

• Horse Horse

02-26 Cam4 stopped at 11:08:39. Nothing unusual happening before it quit. Cam1 is still playing. Cam4 still not working this evening. Hey, TEPCO, can you fix the camera on the Unit 4 side?

• Horse Horse

03-03 19:30 Cam4 feed started up again about two hours ago. Kudos to elibi for being the first to notice. Don't know what we missed but I started recording again.

• Pete

Anyone seen the bright lights from the gap on Futaba? I think thats about where 5 & 6 are located, iirc, but its sure bright.

Looks kinda like the bright glowing flare you used to be able to see on TBS, before they took it down. Looks like a lot of steam or something on Tepcam 1 but 4 looks "normal".

• Hi all, Nuckelchen crew…
    Know you are somewhere commemorating the 6th anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake and the ensuing as well as ongoing catastrophe in Fukushima Daiichi NPP that followed.
    #RememberDaiichi
    6 years ago, it was morning in Japan. Little did we know.

• HillbillyHoundDog HillbillyHoundDog

@Horse. … @1:09, is this art?

Cobalt-60 gamma source irradiation …

…the source will slowly start emerge from its lead shielding.

The effects of the irradiation were observed on CCD chip. Direct gamma ray impacts and of the blue Cherenkov radiation from a water bottle, located directly at the source are visible. The glass lens of the camera cannot focus the gamma rays, so bright pixels appear all over the image frame.
    The movie was recorded by OLYMPUS XZ-1 camera with a CCD chip. Maximum gamma dose rate at camera position was approximately 100 mGy / minute, while the dose rate at the position of the water bottle is almost 1000-times higher, approximately 90 Gy / minute.

The video compression on Youtube washed away a lot of the speckling detail, but the final footage still preserves most of the observable information.

• Horse Horse

HillbillyHoundDog, thanks, what a cool video. It has gamma speckles. The blue Cherenkov radiation of the water bottle; I think I see blue blobs in the tepcam recordings with the sparks, not easy to try to describe or point out, a faint bluishness. Saw it in the ISS gamma storms too. Didn't think it was Cherenkov radiation though, but seems likely. In the ISS and tepcams feeds I see red blobs mixed in with the blue blobs of color. Figure the color blobs are some kind of radiation effect like the sparks. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally caught some workers on the top of southwest corner of r2, video at CRL. The workers are such small little white specks moving across the roof, hard to spot. Been watching tepco put together the new r2 extension or platform. They're covering it with panels the last two days. I watch the panels swing around in the wind at the end of the crane, wild. Can't imagine how they get a panel in place and bolted in. The panels show on both cams at the same time but since they turned cam4 back on the time-stamp has been off from cam1 by about 40 seconds again. Heavy rain and snow cleaned the lens on cam1 so its not looking as bad now. Notice how quiet TEPCO's been about r3, I thought we were going to get a new cover on it for the fuel removal. Extra shielding must be on back order.

• HillbillyHoundDog HillbillyHoundDog

Hiya Horse! Saw your recent post- missed this one!

I had been looking into the Cherenkov theory in relation to the sparks, but found without a degree in nuclear- it was too much to absorb and relate with confidence. Then I came across the video… I will say this- I came across nothing that says it isn't Cherenkov- only that proof is hard to come by because of the extreme danger of radiation from such experiments. (Hello, Fukushima)

BTW- the "art" is now my background. Meh.

• Horse Horse

I knew about the Cherenkov radiation – the blue glow in water. Not a nuclear physicist either but I get that water slows electrons enough to be visible as a blue glow. I'm guessing that moisture in the air might do the same thing resulting in gamma 'skyshine'. The video just reminded me of the blue blobs of faint light I see on the tepcams when the sparks are flying. I don't mention it much because the faint blue doesn't show that clearly in the tepcams and it doesn't show in the grabs as clearly as the sparks do. It explains the blue blobs but not the other color blobs I see. The ISS gamma storm video I've captured showed the color blobs really well and confirmed for me what I thought I was seeing in the tepcams; that it wasn't just pixelation. Not much water in space so I'm thinking it must be some other radiation effect on the cameras. Heck, just knowing you and a couple others can see the sparks too helped 'cause sparking could have just been my wild imagination. The cam1 sparks have slowed a bit but I keep noticing more on cam4 lately. I have it easier than the Geiger guys, they can't prove much because of noise and data gaps. Sparks probably aren't art but I'm hoping they might show others some visible sign of the radiation pollution still spewing out of that mess.