FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread — New as of April 2016

Published: January 1st, 2016 at 11:01 am ET

Previous Fukushima Webcam Discussion Threads can be found here:

This thread is for discussing matters related to the webcam(s) at Fukushima Daiichi.

UPDATE (via Nuckelchen): “Please note the ‘jst’ time of your observation. Also, describe as best as possible, what you see. Using North, South, East, and West to describe locations. Be specific whenever possible. This may sometimes be the ONLY record we have of such events.”

Webcam Video Archive:

Watch the JNN/TBS feed here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tbsnewsi/featured

Direct Link to Tepco Webcam: http://mfile.akamai.com/127380/live/reflector:51361.asx

Alternative Direct Link: http://mfile.akamai.com/127380/live/reflector:52045.asx

Published: January 1st, 2016 at 11:01 am ET

1. FORUM: General Nuclear Issues Discussion Thread — New as of April 2016 January 1, 2016
  2. FORUM: Off-Topic Discussion Thread (Non-Nuclear Issues) — New as of January 2017 January 2, 2016
  3. FORUM: Petitions, Ballot Initiatives, Other Signature Drives (VIDEO) September 1, 2015
  4. FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here January 1, 2016
  5. FORUM: Alternative Energy — Converting to clean, renewable energy sources September 4, 2015

464 comments to FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread — New as of April 2016

• Horse Horse

Yup, Nuckelchen is right, it is booring in here sometimes. I blame it on tepco. They’re almost six years into a delay game that will go on for centuries waiting for time to halve some of that ‘safe’ radiation. They don’t report much being accomplished lately. They haven’t done much since the earthquake that we can see on the tepcams. Time-lapse archive updates are gone; public can’t get an overview to comment on. TBS-JNN has been off-air since that last quake right when we started seeing sparks on that camera. For me, watching the tepcams was more than just looking for the next sensational event; it was to keep an eye on tepco’s remediation and response to four dirty bombs on the coast. Nuclear war is upon us every time nuclear material is concentrated and escapes containment. I want to see who wins that war.

Ian Anderson – Heavy Metals

Fukushima breakthrough? Japan’s TEPCO finds possible nuclear fuel debris
    "The exciting find on Monday was made by a remote-controlled camera fitted on a long pipe, MHK reports. Underneath the No. 1 plant, just below the inactive Reactor 2 – one of three that had melted down in 2011 – scientists with TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) saw a black spot they had not seen before, and one not visible in recordings taken prior to the catastrophe."

• Pete

Does TBS work for anyone anymore? I've been watching for a few years thru ustream but I let my subscription expire and stopped watching.

Now it appears the channel is Off Air all the time, does anyone else have an alternate site that works?

Or is it just gone now too?

• Good day Pete. Here are the links you probably already have.
    You'll recognize the old beast.
    Cam 1 http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index2-j.html
    From left to right, Reactor 1, #2, #3 beyond
    Cam 4 http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index-j.html
    From left to right, csfp (common spent fuel pool) Reactor #2,#3 and #4

• Dr. Anne Lee Tomlinson Maziar Dr. Anne Lee Tomlinson Maziar

Oroville Lake Down 52 Feet, but 9 Upstream Reservoirs to Flood
    21 Feb 2017

• Horse Horse

02-26 Cam4 stopped at 11:08:39. Nothing unusual happening before it quit. Cam1 is still playing. Cam4 still not working this evening. Hey, TEPCO, can you fix the camera on the Unit 4 side?

• Horse Horse

03-03 19:30 Cam4 feed started up again about two hours ago. Kudos to elibi for being the first to notice. Don't know what we missed but I started recording again.

• Pete

Anyone seen the bright lights from the gap on Futaba? I think thats about where 5 & 6 are located, iirc, but its sure bright.

Looks kinda like the bright glowing flare you used to be able to see on TBS, before they took it down. Looks like a lot of steam or something on Tepcam 1 but 4 looks "normal".

• Hi all, Nuckelchen crew…
    Know you are somewhere commemorating the 6th anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake and the ensuing as well as ongoing catastrophe in Fukushima Daiichi NPP that followed.
    #RememberDaiichi
    6 years ago, it was morning in Japan. Little did we know.

• HillbillyHoundDog HillbillyHoundDog

@Horse. … @1:09, is this art?

Cobalt-60 gamma source irradiation …

…the source will slowly start emerge from its lead shielding.

The effects of the irradiation were observed on CCD chip. Direct gamma ray impacts and of the blue Cherenkov radiation from a water bottle, located directly at the source are visible. The glass lens of the camera cannot focus the gamma rays, so bright pixels appear all over the image frame.
    The movie was recorded by OLYMPUS XZ-1 camera with a CCD chip. Maximum gamma dose rate at camera position was approximately 100 mGy / minute, while the dose rate at the position of the water bottle is almost 1000-times higher, approximately 90 Gy / minute.

The video compression on Youtube washed away a lot of the speckling detail, but the final footage still preserves most of the observable information.

• Horse Horse

@HHD … @0:49 first spark. Quick count of 8 sparks to 0:50. Counts to 0:55 comparable to ISS gamma storm. By the time it gets to 1:00, I’m seeing the red and blue blobs. It begins to look like the paint splatter that passes for modern art. A hundred million sparks a minute, not that I counted. They probably put the glass of water in front of the source so as not to blow out the CCD chip with 1000 times more 'hundred millions' of sparks a minute. Quick, shield that source; don’t let it out of containment; that will just ruin selfie’s.

• Horse Horse

HillbillyHoundDog, thanks, what a cool video. It has gamma speckles. The blue Cherenkov radiation of the water bottle; I think I see blue blobs in the tepcam recordings with the sparks, not easy to try to describe or point out, a faint bluishness. Saw it in the ISS gamma storms too. Didn't think it was Cherenkov radiation though, but seems likely. In the ISS and tepcams feeds I see red blobs mixed in with the blue blobs of color. Figure the color blobs are some kind of radiation effect like the sparks. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally caught some workers on the top of southwest corner of r2, video at CRL. The workers are such small little white specks moving across the roof, hard to spot. Been watching tepco put together the new r2 extension or platform. They're covering it with panels the last two days. I watch the panels swing around in the wind at the end of the crane, wild. Can't imagine how they get a panel in place and bolted in. The panels show on both cams at the same time but since they turned cam4 back on the time-stamp has been off from cam1 by about 40 seconds again. Heavy rain and snow cleaned the lens on cam1 so its not looking as bad now. Notice how quiet TEPCO's been about r3, I thought we were going to get a new cover on it for the fuel removal. Extra shielding must be on back order.

• HillbillyHoundDog HillbillyHoundDog

Hiya Horse! Saw your recent post- missed this one!

I had been looking into the Cherenkov theory in relation to the sparks, but found without a degree in nuclear- it was too much to absorb and relate with confidence. Then I came across the video… I will say this- I came across nothing that says it isn't Cherenkov- only that proof is hard to come by because of the extreme danger of radiation from such experiments. (Hello, Fukushima)

BTW- the "art" is now my background. Meh.

• Horse Horse

I knew about the Cherenkov radiation – the blue glow in water. Not a nuclear physicist either but I get that water slows electrons enough to be visible as a blue glow. I'm guessing that moisture in the air might do the same thing resulting in gamma 'skyshine'. The video just reminded me of the blue blobs of faint light I see on the tepcams when the sparks are flying. I don't mention it much because the faint blue doesn't show that clearly in the tepcams and it doesn't show in the grabs as clearly as the sparks do. It explains the blue blobs but not the other color blobs I see. The ISS gamma storm video I've captured showed the color blobs really well and confirmed for me what I thought I was seeing in the tepcams; that it wasn't just pixelation. Not much water in space so I'm thinking it must be some other radiation effect on the cameras. Heck, just knowing you and a couple others can see the sparks too helped 'cause sparking could have just been my wild imagination. The cam1 sparks have slowed a bit but I keep noticing more on cam4 lately. I have it easier than the Geiger guys, they can't prove much because of noise and data gaps. Sparks probably aren't art but I'm hoping they might show others some visible sign of the radiation pollution still spewing out of that mess.

• Horse Horse

"Pamela: It’s radiation that is generated when a particle passes through a medium at faster than the speed of light in that medium which is a really interesting thing to wrap your head around. As the particle goes through, at faster than the speed of light in that medium, it causes all of the particles around it, depending on what they’re made of, this is specific to dielectric materials to get aligned, then when they collapse back down to their normal state of chaos they give off photons which are organized and you are able to see the distribution of this color of light and detect it."

I wouldn't have guessed the details would be so interesting. Oversaturated detectors. They should watch out where they point that high energy.

• Horse Horse

Cherenkov radiation isn't just a blue glow in water then; it seems a good mechanism for explaining how radiation causes sparking on cameras. It’s great that they can easily explain it all when radiation is out in space above our protective atmosphere. You came up with a good link there, HillbillyHoundDog, thanks for sharing; you earned that background spark "art". Noticing oversaturated detectors down here, like the tepcams, could be a problem though. Japan gets real cranky when anyone mentions the radioactive mess, spewing; no end in sight. The scene on the tepcams isn't as dramatic as it was in the early days and the sparks have slowed mostly but they don't stop and sometimes the rate increases. Sparks blinked so quickly they hardly got noticed. When Tepco puts out slick PR releases to minimize the disaster I just think of the sparks still putting on a show every night.

• HillbillyHoundDog HillbillyHoundDog

Yes, like the fissioning explosion and resulting glowing fire and steam (resulting from the water hoses- or whatever chemical they fought the "fire" with) that I saw between the second and third or fourth tanks, sea-side, but on the landside of the CSFP, right before they took down JNN.
              I remember concerns of reactivity and fire in tanks…
              I imagine that sort of thing happens all of the time.
              The execs and workers must experience a lot of hopelessness…
              I also witnessed the initial videos of the explosions resulting from the earthquake and tsunami, as everyone has.
              Some of us knew…A calamity of epic proportions.

Lot's of questions unanswered and the Tepcant spin is comical. …They released a report on "safe, approved, tested, verified, radioactive water" sea-dumps and never stated the volume released. (?)

Glad you got a kick out of the link.
              Yes, I don't know if Cherenkov radiation is dependent on water per say, but water is a good refractor of light and a safer containment <smirk>. A medium.

Did you start to wonder if GE/TEPCO haven't allowed some astronomers there to measure "Cherenkov sparks"? Probably some killer profits in there, somewhere…

Dark art.

• Horse Horse

@ HoTaters, Noticed your interest in Kr-85 and extreme storms, one of my interests too.

• :|

Humans is dark suits on top of Reactor 2.

I wonder how thick the lead is on the bottom of their boots?
    …Considering there is over 500 Sieverts just below them.

• califnative califnative

The U.S. TBS-JNN webcam stopped a few months ago but we found another website with the same webcam but it will only play live if you have a native Japanese monitor. The U.S. webcam says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Per Horse:
    "It does appear to be live. Instead of playing the video and getting the not available' message I just refresh and the screen refreshes every couple minutes. I have taken grabs with the snipping tool and the picture changed at night. We could put out a plea to native Japanese to monitor the cam but I don't think that would get us very far with translate problems. I searched for another site that might be hosting the feed but got lost in the Japanese. Wonder which countries are excluded or if it's only available in Japan? Even intermittent monitoring might catch something worth a grab.?

Work being done on R1,R2,R3 in an effort to remove spent fuel rods in all three CSFP building. Here are some close up rooftop videos of R3 from TEPCO. Note where the water tank is exposed. What a circus.

• Horse Horse

Good sleuthing Califnative, your link to a JNN news channel and the utube channel was all I could find. It gives us a glimpse of TBS-JNN again and now we know Tepco doesn't want the rest of us watching what that camera shows. The camera wasn't removed from service; it's just been censored. It must be a matter of national security now. After all the years online, why did they suddenly take it off-air to the American audience? This just proves they have something to hide.

Pics at http://caferadlab.com/thread-1955.html

Nice to see the Tepco approved pictures of the bright shiny new rooftop on r3. That should help shield workers from the radioactive debris of that exploded mess of a nuclear reactor hiding underneath.

• califnative califnative

Please watch if you can, it's raining, the Common Spent Fuel Pool is active on webcam4, 10:50pm on 4-17-17 Fukushima time. There is a new red light showing on R3 platform. Red isn't good at Fuku.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/f1-np/camera/index-e.html – webcam4

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/f1-np/camera/index2-e.html – webcam1
    Rain drops mostly show up on cam1 when watching R1/R2

the Common Spent Fuel Pool is active on webcam4

It looked that way before starting to rain so hard. Webs didn't get going though. The whole screen on cam4 looks fogged at 22:45 and getting worse. Still a few drops on cam1, foggy, can hardly see the buildings.

• Horse Horse

Started May's webcam thread on CRL. Forest fire near Namie.

• Horse Horse

05-06 9:20 jst After days of just a slight haze in the sky, today both tepcames filled with heavy smoke.

• HillbillyHoundDog HillbillyHoundDog

Nuclear Particles Caught On Fukushima Live Camera 5-6 2017 | Organic Slant

• Checkmate

Does Tepco ever show a panorama view of the area? I would like to see the farmers planting rice for the first time in 6 years now that the government gave them the green light for Fuka-sh&t prefecture.

What a great ad for TEPCO showing the great recovery of Fuka with the farmers planting rice. In fact, TEPCO could point their finger and say see- we have everything under control and our cleanup efforts are working. Then ABE could come and harvest some rice, cook it, and eat it along with all the other TEPCO executives and show us how good and safe the food and area is for everyone…

• unincredulous unincredulous

WheepingWillow2 says reactor 5 blew up/ fire.

• unincredulous unincredulous

I would have to agree, it sure looks like it.

• Horse Horse

Uni, Camera 1 looks to the south. Reactors 5 and 6 are north of the other four and only partially visible on the left side of camera 4 which looks to the north. I've seen that light on camera 1 a couple times when scanning for sparks. Its not a spark or the boat light sometimes seen in that area. I think there is an incineration bldg on the south end but I don't know if that is causing the light. Whatever is causing the light, it is not r5 or r6 on fire. WheepingWillow2 has his directions mixed up when he points out an unidentified light on the south side.

• pure water

@ Horse, Weeping willow is definitely wrong about the position of units 5 and 6, but if it is true that the situation goes on for a week, then it explains what Michel V reports about European radiation monitoring!
        They had the place covered with concrete, and if the coriums work, the releases will find their way outside the concrete zone. The other possibility is – some kind of bombardment to break the huge lumps of fuel. And in this case too, the fuming will happen somewhere outside the thick concrete layer.

• unincredulous unincredulous

That makes sense. She has got her directions confused before, I think. If you can comment on her you tube vid. I don't do that. Maybe I did one time.

She keeps her eyes open though. Really makes sense if they are burning radioactive crap there. Eventually something is bound to blow up there, they never just put low level waste in things/places meant for those.

• Farthington MacMananus Farthington MacMananus

A bit unrelated but…

In 2014/2015 (I can't remember), she (iirc) had a video of some very bizarre reactions/phenomena at FD. It almost looked like a nuclear radiating creature, I showed that video to other people and they were freaked out.

Dunno if you've seen it, but at the time there seemed to be fires too.

• pure water

Hi! This is a collection of screenshots from 13 and 15 of May. You may see the change of brightness and the scope of visible emittions, and they are not from the reactors in this case.
        I like your work on the sparks, photo detectors of radiation are one of the oldest instruments used and even filming an explosion can tell later if it is from nuclear weapon. So, the frequency of sparks can roughly indicate the change of radioactivity near the camera. Even the color is informative. I am much more focused on steam events just because they spread a lot of radioactive material in high speed and have the capacity to kill/damage a lot of living creatures far away from the spot.

• Horse Horse

Great documentation of Futabagun camera, pure water. Since we lost TBS-JNN, Futabagun is the only panoramic view we get. I also think the current steam events are not from the reactors but rather from the CSFP overheating. We don't have a direct view of the common pool stuffed full of spent fuel rod assemblies. Futabagun viewers often gave us first sightings of big events on the horizon, glad you're still documenting that camera.

• pure water

I wish my Internet connection and free time let me do it as before, but things changed. We are not full time engaged with this problem, at least most of us, like scientific slave army betraying the truth. Ignoring the reality about this accident is turning blind for life, which is not acceptable. I am sure coriums positions are known, because the technology for this exists, and not even one. Repeating this "no body knows" tells me the reality is unbearable for those hiding the information. These blobs of lava do not go cold and sit in the containment like hot pasta. The Chernobyl one woke up in chain reaction years after the accident with all the sand and concrete mixed in it. Ignoring these things does not mean hot particles will stop their motion and lethal action.