Can one person make a difference? Ask Ben Davis:
California’s Secretary of State approved a ballot initiative November 18 that seeks the closure of San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station and the Diablo Canyon plant.
The initiative was filed by Ben Davis Jr. [who] drafted this and an earlier petition that led to the closure of the Rancho Seco power plant in June 1989.
As drafted, the latest initiative parallels existing state law prohibiting the creation of new nuclear plants until the federal government finds a solution to dispose of radioactive nuclear waste and reprocess spent fuel rods. If enacted, the initiative would essentially shut down the state’s two remaining nuclear plants by stopping them from creating additional waste until a federal solution arrives. [...]
Davis has until April 16, 2012 to collect the 504,760 needed signatures to allow the initiative to go the voters in the fall presidential election. He expected to start the signature drive after the Thanksgiving weekend.
Post your petition links, ways to contact decision makers, ideas for future projects, action plans, news reports, inspirational words, tips for increasing signatures/exposure, questions… whatever you can think of concerning this issue. Here is a video to get things rolling:
Published: September 1st, 2015 at 12:48 am ET
- Gundersen: Cesium-134 and -137 detected in Southern California pollen sample — “When you find them both together that’s a Fukushima signature” (VIDEO) April 19, 2012
- US Gov’t: Alaska island “appears to show impacts from Fukushima” — “Significant cesium isotope signature” detected — Scientists anticipate more marine life to be impacted as ocean plume arrives (VIDEO) November 14, 2013
- Interview with California’s ‘Nuclear Terminator’ — Ben Davis shut down nuke plant in ’89, now he’s at it again (VIDEO) November 27, 2011
- FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here January 1, 2016
- FORUM: Off-Topic Discussion Thread (Non-Nuclear Issues) — New as of January 2017 January 2, 2016