FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here (Dec. 17, 2011 – Present)

Published: September 1st, 2012 at 12:52 am ET
2,710 comments

New thread here: http://enenews.com/forum-post-radiation-monitoring-data-april-30-2012-present

Published: September 1st, 2012 at 12:52 am ET
2,710 comments

1. FORUM: Archive of Radiation Monitoring Data (Sept. 16 – Dec. 17, 2011) September 16, 2011
  2. FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread (Dec. 14, 2011 – June 29, 2012) September 1, 2012
  3. FORUM: Discussion Thread for November 8 – 14, 2011 November 8, 2011
  4. FORUM: Discussion Thread for October 25 – 31, 2011 October 25, 2011
  5. FORUM: Discussion Thread for October 18 – 24, 2011 October 18, 2011

2,710 comments to FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here (Dec. 17, 2011 – Present)

• VanneV anne

10:56 AM – 8 Mar 12

186 CPM, 1.5103 uSv/h, 1.2826 AVG uSv/h, 4 time(s) over natural radiation
    10:46 AM – 8 Mar 12

174 CPM, 1.4129 uSv/h, 1.0548 AVG uSv/h, 3 time(s) over natural radiation
    10:36 AM – 8 Mar 12

• mungo mungo

Radioactivity from the Fukushima nuclear reactor accident in Japan reached Ireland in the weeks after the event. It arrived at such low levels, however, that it had no significance for either public health or food safety, according to a report on the incident from the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland. “The levels that we have detected were very low,” Dr Ciara McMahon, the institute’s director of environmental surveillance and assessment, said yesterday. “There was no health hazard, but the incident provided a useful test of our equipment.” She said the institute maintained 14 permanent radioactivity monitoring stations across the country. These sample the air continually and alert an on-duty staff member if radiation is detected. The institute also receives sampling data from other monitoring done by the Department of Agriculture and Food or Met Éireann. The equipment is sensitive enough to record radioactivity even at the very low levels that reached Ireland. Dr McMahon said the Fukushima incident delivered a radiation dose of 0.26 microsieverts, a tiny addition to the average annual dose we receive from natural radiation sources of 3,950 microsieverts
    . http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=HZ-20120309-34453-IRL

• aigeezer aigeezer

I'm getting data overload in this thread, so forgive me if I'm overlooking something obvious. I installed "GeigerGraph" software a few days ago, and hooked my PRM-8000 into it. Mine became a node on a worldwide peer network. I apologize if this is all very familiar to you, but I couldn't find relevant hits when searching the thread.

My perceptions of this new (to me) setup are: fabulous idea; very US-centric so far; surprisingly few units reporting at any given time (about 50); generally reassuring readings across North America (but very sparse coverage so far); reporting standard for this system is CPM; typical average reading is around 25 CPM; two stations seem always to have higher readings (around 40-60 CPM), one near Hanford, and one in Philadelphia (I think); my own readings so far have been reassuringly low but of course never zero (about 13 CPM).

I was hoping to see dozens (hundreds?) of familiar Enenews virtual faces there. Are you? Is there a better place to be for real-time crowd-source readings?

• trinityfly trinityfly

aigeezer: I have been on radiation network since the beginning. I presume you are part of that network? What I see, the continent is covered fairly well with live reading sites.

• aigeezer aigeezer

Thanks trinityfly. I think we're on the same network – I hope there aren't two or more in competition. On the map I've never seen more than two live stations in Canada (one of them mine) and I've never seen any in Mexico, but there seems to be about one station in every state in the US. The network I'm on is radiationnetwork dot com.

• aigeezer aigeezer

At the moment mine is the only station reporting live from Canada, the world's second largest country. Our government, like many others, is not doing public reporting these days. There are about 35 million people here. Scary stuff.

• vital1 vital1

aigeezer,

I am in Australia and as far as I known I am the only one here reporting Geiger Counter daily detections. It is also a big country. Australia has 4 government monitoring stations, Darwin, Townsville, Sydney, and Melbourne, these stations do not provide data to the public.

I have created this web page to list the local daily background radiation levels for the Sunshine Coast Australia. You are all welcome to visit the page for the up to date local background info for my region. I will as usual post charts and commentary on significant radiation detections happening in my local area here at enenews radiation monitoring forum.

At times significant peaks in radiation maybe detected which would warrant the issuing of a cautionary email advisory or an alert to friends and relatives, who live locally. If I send out an email advisory I suggest they come back to this web site during the day for further updates.

You can see on the web page that I have already sent out an email advisory on the 5th March. This action is raising the level of awareness in the local community about the seriousness of this issue.

—————————————————————–

Get the message out there on how serious the Fukushima nuclear disaster is
      quickly, and efficiently. You don’t need to explain anything just distribute the lifesaver.pdf (or create your own), hand it out, mailbox it, or email it.

Put it everywhere, libraries, notice boards, web pages, forums, Facebook,
      and tweet! Think outside the box.

• HoTaters

Was poking around looking for info. on Plutonium found outside Fukushima Daichi, and stumbled onto some interesting info. from PubMed and NIH.gov. Lots of abstracts of articles using "Fukushima" and "radiation" as search terms.

Big data trove; maybe worth poking around in there. (Or maybe not depending on what the studies are saying.) Will aoso post to "effects of low level radiation" area.

• Gmouse

My GQ GMC-300 Gieger counter has been intermittantly spiking at about 140cpm 3-08/09-2012, here in San Diego Ca. "Normal" background 15-25 cpm.Not seeing this on Enviroreporters S. Cal monitors or radnet.Solar flare? more like fallout dump…

• Vancouver BC. Today, 2:00pm local PST. Pouring with rain, walking to shops. 15 minute walk. First ten minutes I was getting average .14 micro Sv/hr High of .16 low of .11. Using Soeks and significantly for those who are familiar with the equipment, yellow bar showed for entire 15 min count meaning these were true readings. No spikes for entire count. .16 is the highest background I have encountered. Since last December when I got detector I have averaged .11 microSv/hr background regardless of rain sunshine snow night or day. I live in a low radon area. Last 5 minutes of count readings returned to normal, .08 to .12 averaging .11 microSv/hr. So I walked through a higher then average background radiation "cloud". They are my highest background readings yet but still fall within "normal" background.

A word about "spikes". I get less spikes when outside then inside. At apartment I regularly get .25 spikes and got previously reported .4 something micro Sv/hr spikes at friends apartment making detector show yellow high radiation warning.

In my apartment, using my laptop I detect at least 10 wifi signals and at least one bluetooth signal. Most people including myself use cell phones exclusively as it makes poor financial sense to run a land line and a cell phone. My feelings are that these spikes are not hot particles but eminating from all the electronic gadgetry we have around the house. I live in an apartment building so I am exposed to neighbors wifi, cell phone signals, bluetooth and the plethora of remotes most houses have for tv stereo dvd players and the like plus no doubt the odd baby monitor. Today I did get elevated background radiation but no spikes the bar remained yellow through out my 15 minute walk. Even in my bedroom with hepa filter on non stop the background level is .04 to .06 micro Sv/hr but I still get .2 something to .3 something micro Sv/hr spikes.

• aigeezer aigeezer

Just a thought, Mark – I lived in Vancouver for a long time – do you have exposure to radar from small boats, English Bay freighters, the big rotating radar antenna just north of the Lion's Gate bridge, or the Richmond airport? I seem to remember big microwave towers along the Upper Levels also, and something on Grouse and Seymour.

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

i live in the bush, 30km inland from Byron Bay(australia) with no near neighbours, phone towers, or other rf or emf source. i have my mobile phone on "aeroplane mode" nearly all the time to prevent it interfering with my geiger gounter. when air flow is from the tropics, north of me, i get spikes. boy do i get spikes!. i have a gammascout, and it shows me the spikes.

london uk

over the last couple of days i have noticed a drop with a range today of 0.06 to 0.17 microsieverts/hr with an average of about 0.10 microsievert/he with very few spikes..

the air is cool and the winds are from europe with the normal swing out to the atlantic and back to the uk… the calm before the storm??? but its good to see low measures after such a long period of heavy contamination… posted a new busby video on the discussion thread… still sorting out my security issues, thanks for all the useful advice! will fill you in on the gory details ina week or two when i have made the relevant data protection requests etc! :) hush mail to follow by monday!

• WildTurnip WildTurnip

I've been a long time reader here at ENENews. I recently received my Inspector Alert and have been taking daily counts. Thought I'd share my results.

West Central Michigan – Low radon area – Elev. 1073 ft
    10 min counts taken with Inspector Alert in ziplock bag @ 2.5 ft INDOORS unless noted otherwise.
    33.1 CPM 29 FEB 2012 11:01 am EST
    33.2 CPM 08 MAR 2012 17:28 pm EST
    28.0 CPM 09 MAR 2012 09:12 am EST
    Snow Test 09 MAR 2012 12:12 pm EST (bagged snow from 09 MAR) 38.1 CPM
    29.1 CPM 09 MAR 2012 18:15 pm EST

Indoor AVG background 31.4 CPM

• Mack Mack

@WildTurnip – Welcome + Thank you for posting your results.

This radiation forum is one of the things that sets ENEnews far above any other site.

Glad you're contributing.

• WildTurnip WildTurnip

Mack, thanks for your reply. I agree that the radiation monitoring forum is an important feature here because so few people have geiger counters. I know there are a couple of people from Michigan that do have — wish they would continue to add their data. I'd like to see what they are getting down state.

I have been taking reading on various foods and cooking utensils and will post that data soon.

• vital1 vital1

Australia
    Victoria
    Melbourne
    26th February 2012

This was just posted by Toadmac in another enenews forum. I asked him if he could post into this forum in the future.

• VanneV anne

Longmont, CO: 4,272 cpm spike:
    4272 CPM, 0.5846 uSv/h, 0.5588 AVG uSv/h, 2 time(s) over natural radiation
    8:48 AM – 10 Mar 12

• VanneV anne

Longmont, CO
    186 CPM, 1.5103 uSv/h, 1.2090 AVG uSv/h, 4 time(s) over natural radiation
    4:40 AM – 11 Mar 12

192 CPM, 1.5590 uSv/h, 1.1173 AVG uSv/h, 4 time(s) over natural radiation
    12:10 AM – 11 Mar 12

One of the graphs in the 2nd link shows the average radiation in the US increasing.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Arclight, attention – emergency shutdown of Cattenom's reactor #2 again today (3rd time since January).

*watch out!

• Bobby1

Iodine-131 continues to rise in Gunma prefecture sludge. The Feb 22 amount of 210 Bq/kg is greater than the Feb 6 amount, which in turn is greater than any amount since early May.

more european reactor problems 12 march 2012

first a short homage to the victims of fukushima on the 1st anniversary and then the dirt on the european monitoring system, and finally some tips and tricks to find your way around a busted eurdep public radiation monitoring system…

cattenom has just shut down again and there is still a circulatory pattern of wind… looks like it might be heading towards the uk after a bit of a ramble unless the winds change

another video to follow tommorrow outlining the french and uk switch offs

heres a catternom edf monitor link to get into eurdep

12 march 2012 london radiation 03.15 GMT

as of last night at 11.00 pm gmt i started getting low rises of up to 0.18 microsieverts/hr lows to 0.10 microsieverts/hr.. theres something in the air! still! watch out for catternom which stopped again yesterday! the french might need to import some more of that good green german electricity again! every month! thank heavens for german mass solar and wind projects huh?? wish we had that too!! you gotta love the germans but dont tell max and stacy!! :) lol!

• arclight arclight

12 march 2012 uk france conspiring??

well its all edf anyway! they didnt mind polluting the stop hinkley protesters.. nice one edf/sarc!

wonder if they will fix the new improved eurdep radiation mapping? or is it already fixed?? hmm? :)

this morning the values are pretty low average about 0.10 mcSv/h

drove to oxford and the average was a little higher 0.11 mcSv/h

oxford would normally be lower than the london suburbs!! hmm!?

• JoeNeubarth

I am alarmed that so many people are getting readings for I-131. It is now in the ground water in Fukushima prefecture. Reports on the US West Coast would seem to indicate that one of those holes int he ground at Fukushima is at least partially critical.

• VanneV anne

Longmont, CO

132 CPM, 1.0718 uSv/h, 0.8961 AVG uSv/h, 3 time(s) over natural radiation
    12:43 PM – 12 Mar 1

156 CPM, 1.2667 uSv/h, 0.8443 AVG uSv/h, 3 time(s) over natural radiation
    11:32 AM – 12 Mar 12

204 CPM, 1.6565 uSv/h, 0.9622 AVG uSv/h, 3 time(s) over natural radiation
    9:52 AM – 12 Mar 12

126 CPM, 1.0231 uSv/h, 0.7779 AVG uSv/h, 2 time(s) over natural radiation
    9:35 AM – 12 Mar 12

• Vancouver, March 9th, got my highest reading ever of .18 µSv/hr while bar in SOEKS window showed yellow indicating a true reading. This occurred 5 minute walk from my apartment later on I did an open window reading and got .08 .09 averages three or four stories high, wind blowing outside air over my detector. Today, March 12 I am getting what I call normal readings of average .11µSv/hr over a 15 minute count.

Aigeezer, I am not close to any of what you mentioned as my actual location is in New Westminster. Spikes occur in my apartment and outside tests are done sometimes along street apartment is located so since spikes seem to occur inside I stand by my theory that they are created by man made devices, such as cell phones, wifi signals and the like.

Arclight, good to see you back

• aigeezer aigeezer

Thanks, Mark. You make a good case for those "gadget" sources. If you ever wander near TRIUMF at UBC let us know if you find any anomalies.

I posted a while back that I'm now on the radiation network. Maybe you'll join it some time? Up until today someone had a station that seemed to be around Nanaimo, but they've been down for a while, leaving mine the only one in all of Canada. Yikes! There should be thousands of them/us, perhaps millions.

I'm reading only 9 CPM right now – the lowest in the country, oops, also the highest in the country. The whole network only shows 56 stations, average 23 CPM now, a quiet day.

• VanneV anne

30.9 CPM 13 MAR 2012 08:39 EDT

• VanneV anne

Longmont, CO
    198 CPM, 1.6078 uSv/h, 1.2253 AVG uSv/h, 4 time(s) over natural radiation
    8:45 AM – 13 Mar 12

Radio-Isotopic Projects, Fukushima, and More

Here are the URL's for the projects mentioned in the video:

[Radio-isotopic Analysis of Post-Fukushima Accident Japanese Soil Samples]

[Radio-Isotopic Map of the United States]

• Bobby1

The analysis of the Japanese samples indicates thorium again. The author says it must be natural, but doesn't compare it with natural pre-Fuku readings.

Chris Busby found high levels of lead-210 in Japanese soil, which is part of the radon series, but the level was too high to be natural.

hi bobby

the radioactive lead seems to be a big component of many of these releases.. will be putting up a video tommorrow of the different isotope evidence i came across with some conclusions and a bit of a forecast.. eurdep is back up and mostly fully functional .. finlands monitoring is off!! lol! theres been a recent switch off! and some heavy beta in germany near catternom to 20 bqm3 approx (south)using the highest measurement or 5 bq/m3 last value..

some evidence of a slight rise in the area.. winds turning to uk/west coast of norway over the next few days!

heres CRIIRADS isotope measurements for the cs and iodine for feb-march

• arclight arclight

might also point out that criirad are having electrical problems and some of the monitors are inoperable again! go figure! timings interesting!

food for thought!??

• Bobby1

arclight, this is a translation of the note at the bottom of the pdf:

"When the desired radioactive element is absent or if its activity is too low to be detected, that is the limit of detection (LOD) is calculated and published. The analysis result is expressed for example in the form "Iodine 131: <20 microBq/m3". This means that I-131 was not detected. The analysis does not rule out the presence of iodine 131, but says that if this element was present, its activity would be below the detection limit which in this example 20 microBq/m3. The detection limit depends on many parameters: volume of air
            taken, counting geometry, counting time, which explains the variability of detection limits obtained following analyzes."

Does this mean they are saying that these are not measurements, but limits of detection? Why would they change so much over different locations or times? The cesium-134 limits are always slightly lower than the cesium-137, which is what you would expect if those were actual measurements of cesium from Fuku. That makes no sense at all.

• The levels of lead 210 I detected, which indicated Th232 and progeny, where consistent with most thorium bearing soils I have tested. I am currently testing soil from around the United States and I have found many similar samples. With gamma spectroscopy, I am not just looking for energy peaks, but also equilibrium of peaks.

• Bobby1

10-day forecast: it looks like the warmth over most of the US will continue, and Fuku fallout will be confined mostly to the west coast and southwest.

• alasanon

It's been really nice lately with the whole major Fukushima Jet Stream plume finally totally OFF the Mid-Atlantic! LOVING that!! (sorry to California & Canada though)

Do you notice the difference, Bobby? I feel a little peppier. The air seems to be fresher? But, of course, the Jet Stream may be pushing all types of pollution north now, so that would account for cleaner air all over the southeast, too.

• KONDY KONDY

Much more to worry about than just the radiation from Fukushima.

The link below shows radiation emissions from another nuke plant in Japan = Tsurga. The location switch is at 1:15. This is the fast breeder {Sodium} reactor that blew up 3 times in 18 years.

Credit goes to Tully & Robert via FB's "Fukushima 311 Watchdogs".

More info to validate this event:

On 2 May 2011, Kyodo officials announced higher levels of radioactivity in the cooling water, JAPC admitted technical problems and announced to check for radioactivity on a daily basis from now on, instead of checking only every week, what has been standard procedure up to now.[7]

On 12 November 2011 at 7:45 PM local time a fire broke out in the No. 1 reactor. After a switch for a spare electrical device at the water processing facility was operated by a worker, the fire was ignited because a short circuit caused a series of hot sparks. After the fire was put out, no casualties were reported. JAPC said that there was no leakage of radiation, because the reactor was closed for inspection. [8][9]

Credit to Laura Tatoo at "Fukushima 311 Watchdogs

• VanneV anne

Longmont, CO

246 CPM, 1.9975 uSv/h, 1.4892 AVG uSv/h, 5 time(s) over natural radiation
    11:56 AM – 13 Mar 12

• I just noticed the use of uSv/hr and I thought I might take a moment to mention something (your specific post is not the reason I am mentioning this, it just seemed like a good place to put. :)

uSv, as well as all other energy units (e.g. Sv, Gy, R, rem, rad, etc) are not really of any use for determining radiation of unknown origin around you, IF they are measured with a Geiger counter.

Here is why:

A Geiger counter is calibrated to a specific isotope, such as Cs137. In the presence of other elements/isotopes, that energy read means little. Let us say you "calibrated" to know that each pay check was 1,000. As long as that is always true, 5 pay checks = 5,000. But, if you get another job, which you are not calibrated for (say, 2000) then your same 5 checks equal 10,000. See what I mean?

You should always use CPM or c/s for unknown energy.

Here is a video which explains this in more detail!
      Also
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laWJ4KXxPLk (this one is better)

Here is a video showing how to calibrate your Geiger counter to another known isotope.

Sorry, they are both lengthy lol

• Vancouver, tonight 8pm local time, Hard to say what the average is over a 15 minute period I got a low of .06 to a high of .16 µSv/hr, all showing yellow bar on Soeks. One spike at gas station, same location I got another spike on another walk. Spikes drop yellow bar and turn it red as we've discussed before. Is a software thing, my little Geiger Mueller tube would be showing higher counts per minute at that juncture if it were connected to a clicker instead of a micro processor converting info to µSv/hr. So these spikes are real but again seem to happen more inside my apartment then outside walking. Background radiation seems spotty and I can't say if it is higher or lower then what I consider my "normal baseline background of .11µSv/hr

• What-About-The-Kids

Here is an inspiring story about how one family in Tokyo is being proactive in doing testing for radioactivity in their food and environment in order to protect children, and are offering their services to others. They have both a FB page and website. If anyone has questions about doing their own testing, perhaps these folks would be a good resource?

"We are a family living in Tokyo with two young children and a geiger counter. Starting with RADEX RD-1706 Dosimeter (Quarta-Rad) with dual Geiger Meuller rods for β、γ、x-ray detection for personal/ professional use. We have upgraded equipment several times and now run a full radiation data monitoring laboratory which can accept samples upon request for radio-isotopic identification and quantification. We also perform field service monitoring and decontamination for decreasing the risk of internal exposure (especially as it relates to young children). We also operate a community action program in Suginami-ku, Tokyo called Safe-Suginami Project which is geared at operating within the political and social structures in our ward to attain proactive movement towards a safer environment and food supply. Through 杉並あんしんプロジェクト(Safe-Suginami) we host symposiums with experts, work with neighborhood associations, business associations, and lobby local officials and schools to provide for accurate monitoring service in order that children are less likely to become exposed internally to radionuclides in the wake of the industrial disaster at Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant in March. We do not have any official ties to any political, religious, business, or other organization other than holding down jobs as teachers and being members of PTA at school. This is as grass roots as it gets and we hoped from the beginning of this project that we may lead by example that others could help to provide for a safer place to live for the next generation. Thanks to all of the generous professionals who have showered us with advice and

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

not a good night last night. I was woken by the alarm on my geiger and eventually had to turn the allarm threashold up to 0.9uSv/h to stop it sounding. I feel like my whole family has been assulted.

March 14, Nimbin, Austalia
    3:45 to 7:15am peeks 0.55 – 0.75uSv/h

allarm just sounded again – 1.1uSv/h Fuck!
    I need somewhere save to take my daughters. any ideas?

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

got the date wrong- march 15

• eatliesndie, you need to figure out where the radiation is coming from. Everyone talks about the jetstream bringing Fuku rads over to the west coast but I am getting normal readings with my admittedly low end equipment. Is there some sort of southerly wind blowing Fuku rads down to you? Are you close to any uranium mining or processing?
        Are you in a high radon gas area and if so is your detector inside or outside? Finally is your equipment reliable? I think there are many sources of radiation from man made activity to natural radon and we have been ignorant up to Fukushima when some of us have been motivated to actually obtain detectors.
        Don't know much about Australia but you do mine uranium there so there could be lots of radon gas, your readings might be a combination of those or from another source. I've got a new view of radiation now and anything is possible. Maybe a Nuclear Sub is off the coast venting its boilers……

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

I live on the edge of a cloud covered mountain. Just went for a drive into valley below and got readings 0.9 – 1.45uSv/h
          Back home now and after a little at around 0.9, things now staying between 0.2 and 0.3uSv/h
          Im a good distance from the coast, well ventilated house(unfortunately) in rural area.Been watching background here more than 3 years. rain and moisture coming from the NE. Seems to be mostly alfa and/or beta. ???
          Gamma readings seemed normal. ???
          Bucky balls?
          If this happens again will move to dryer region.

• vital1 vital1

eatliesndie

I am on the Sunshine Coast Eastern Australia. I am not getting any increase background radiation detections at present, I am around 200km north of you.

You wind direction was coming directly off the Pacific Ocean. Mine was not.

——————-

When you get high readings like you are I would suggest you do this.

1. If you are using tank water redirect the inflow away from the tank, and put a cover over the intake of the tank.

2. If you haven't stopped the inflow into the water tank you may need to get the water tested before use.

3. Stay out of the rain if it is raining.

4. Have a shower if you get wet.

5. Get everyone up to date on dietary systems that can help remove radiation from your body.

6. Close the windows and stay inside until the radioactive cloud passes.

• Vancouver, BC Today 10am local time Wet Snow, ten minute walk windy, Soeks unwrapped but under an umbrella, basically waist high (3 ft ) average unknown as cheap detector has no averaging software, lots of .13 µSv/hr, but low of .08 to high of .16 µSv/hr guestimate a possible average of .13 which is .02 µSv/hr higher then my baseline measurement of .11

• What-About-The-Kids

Continued from above post:

"Thanks to all of the generous professionals who have showered us with advice and teachings as we have attempted to understand this situation and a special thanks to those few who have reached out and lent a hand while we have struggled with the financial burden of this project.

"東京杉並区在住。二人の息子と彼らの世代のため に、まずは放射線測定データをロシア製 RADEX RD-1706(Quarta-Rad社)を 使用して配信。(β、γ、x-ray感知可能なガイガーカウンタ)。 地元で「杉並 あんしんプロジェクト」を発ち上げ、行政や地域、学校に働きかける一 方、TKRとしては食品の測定を可能にすることを目指し研究開発。12月、 ついにおうちラボ完成。サポートくださったみなさま、ありがとうござい ます!"

The gentleman's name who started the testing service is named David Sydney Moore. He is featured in an interview today on PBS (with David Miles O-Brien…) found here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june12/fukushimapt3_03-13.html

• What-About-The-Kids

Continued from above post…

Their website: http://sites.google.com/site/tokyokidsradiation/

Their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tokyo-Kids-Radiation

These people are citizen heroes in my book! If you use FB, why not give them a "shout out" and a "thank you" comment on their FB page? Looks like they only have about 5 measly comments from the PBS interview so far…

Sadly, as you will see in the PBS interview with him, it looks like they are finding the stress of living under such burdensome conditions too much for their family and have plans to move to the U.S. (David Wagner is American.)

So the people of Japan will lose a valuable asset in their efforts to keep their children safe. Hopefully, other Japanese citizens in Tokyo or elsewhere will learn from his efforts and be inspired to continue his work there!

As Margaret Mead so famously said:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

• Mack Mack

Radiation when flying:

"MsMilkytheclown" measured radiation on a flight from Flint Michigan to San Diego, CA and @ 32.000 feet, "Radiation reached approx. 2.85 mcSv/h Microsiverts per hour"

• arclight arclight

15 march london and oxford radiation reading n the fog!! and its hot!!

eurdep is showing catternom as red hot!! a purple spot to the south though the winds are heading north?? its possible i suppose!

eurdep has also stopped functioning again so use the links above to access the data! though the links come out on other data maps than stated for some reason.. chaged coding at eurdep? you should be able to work your way around using the technique i showed you!!

hinkly or bath are spewing clouds that i managed to catch of up to 0.23 microsieverts/hr on a slow rise and decent at 05.00.. lots of clouds! escpecially nearer oxford but i got up to 0.22 mcSv/h briefly in london at 07.00 am gmt

i only got below 0.14 mcSv/h when i got to clear spots in the fog (not many of them and the fog added about 0.02 or 0.03 mcSv/h, so highs in the clear were about 0.18 mcSv/h)

as you can see by the magicseaweed map the winds at 06.00 were heading west and slightly north hitting birmingham, oxford and catching london s bit less the forward projection of this contamination is due in denmark and norway as soon as the winds get it there..

i started measuring this last night at 10.30 pm gmt but the intensity has increased from 04.30 am gmt 15 march and the winds should take 24 to 36 hours! so heads up you scandinavians.. dont worry about sellafield worry about hinkly and bath and catternom (which the contamination is heading due north this morning and that should be in denmark pretty quickly like now!)

did i say europe was getting like the set of blade runner.. and eurdep mucking us about! not good! buy a gieger if you want to embarrass the nuke companies, they are effective!

• arclight arclight

to the eurdep software dude or dudess! i love your website and think you have the BEST monitoring system apart from france (cough (sorry it must be the pollution :) ) )

i am glad you are a reader of this site.. good isnt it? :)

and its nice that you are a viewer on my you tube site!

any chance of opening up davy jones locker so i can get back in?? go on you know it makes sense!! :)

cutting me off in mid stride was a bit unfair and dare i say a little bit obvious.. chortle! :)

managed to get enough for the switch offs on the 11 march in sweden for 24 hours and the switch offs i denmark on the 13 for 12 hours.. and there is that purple spot? no?

i know you are under orders so i will be gentle here..

pretty please… put eurdep back on when the contamination is over… maybe open up a new davy jones locker too ;)

your ever loving arc.. ps are you female single and reasonably straight?? hushmail me ;)

• arclight arclight

lots of dead links but a cool resource for korean nuclear reactors

eggenstein leopoldshafen

in operation since 1966

decommissioning begun in 1987

this is where the monitor is showing high.. the wind is blowing west from there and the pollution could be very well from

neckarwestheim 2

in operation since 1989

problems in 1991, 2004 and 2009 (last problem with cooling system and coorosion on the systems control mechanism

the reason for the purple spot??

• arclight arclight

criirad stoppedthe readings on the 10 march and what about the spike on the 5 march??

south england and south germany contamination warning! 15 march 2012

video of eurdep/weather and a bit of gieger counting at 0715 am gmt

• mungo mungo

arclight, here is another site to check radreadings, it loads up funny but if you move down the page there should be a map…..
    thanks for all you do :-)

• arclight arclight

thanks mungo but the stations are east of the possible incident

checked the german system too.. shows very low? could it be the fallout is being lofted high? that would explaain the ground monitors in between not picking it up! hmmm an enigma! love them!

noticed a few peaks on the history at you-measure?? strange wind current around the edge of that mountain range?

• Sue

Arclight, I may have missed a particular posting but could you please explain why you keep referencing the pollution coming from Hinkley or Bath. Do you have information that something has happened/happening i.e. high radiation levels locally and if so, how long has this been happening. I note that you reported that protesters (myself included) got polluted but there were many at the demo with geigers and no-one seemed to be in a panic over levels. As you probably already know, Chris Busby was also in attendance. He didn't address the crowd (not while I was there anyway) but I think that a few words from him may have given the protesters a real boost and encouraged their spirit of community.

• arclight arclight

erpost.. i thought it might have been la hague but the emmissions were too high..

23 feb 2012 over two days worst yet!!

i have travelled through two measurable radiation clouds.. took this over the last two days.. mostly 0.13 microsieverts/hr or most definately more
      worst today 0.42 microsieverts/hr !!
      seems like less slow rises to 0.21 mcSv/h last night the slow rise got to 0.29 mcSv/h!! my camera battery was flat!! arghh! but there will be more..

strong definate pulses and distinct large clouds.. at 30 miles an hour heading into the wind it took me 25 minutes to get to the other side of the cloud.. 15 minutes more than my biggin hill experience!

might point out i went to oxford today and outside of the towns the level is about 0.12 mcSv/h but with peaks and rises to 0.15 mcSv/h..

last night was a minger!! ugh!
      sore throat anyone??

Feb 23 (Reuters) – EDF Energy, Britain's largest nuclear power producer, stopped its 480-megawatt (MW) Hinkley Point B7 nuclear reactor on Wednesday evening to repair a hydraulic fluid leak, the company said.

"I can confirm the reactor went offline at around 2220 GMT last night," a spokeswoman said on Thursday morning.

The reactor stopped so engineers could attend a hydraulic fluid leak on a valve and the unit is expected to restart on Saturday, EDF Energy said.

The utility is also expected to stop its 450-MW Heysham 1-2 nuclear reactor for a scheduled shutdown on March 2, National Grid data showed.

Europe's oldest nuclear reactor, Oldbury 1 near Bristol, is planned to shut down permanently next week (the bath reactor i mentioned)

not mentioned by the media as the nuke twins sarky and cameramoon were doing a 500 million pound deal with edf and rolls royce etc

just my twisted take on it.. reactor stops chimneys spew!!

• arclight arclight

to clarify some points i made at the time

the hot emmissions will rise in the cool evening air (probaly why edf wanted stop hinkley out at 12.00 mindnight?) the hot gases and particles will cool and the more dense electrostatically connected ccloud will drop onto the ground and follow the lower wind currents

i think that this mornings clouds interacted with the fog and followed the m4 and south birmingham directions roughly and i know that the fallout dropped at newbury.. i didnt go further
      i got to 10 miles south of oxford and hit lots of strong slow rises mentioned above the strongest was outside of slough heading west and north west. the low valleys had a reaading of 0.15 mcSv/h on the way there and 0.13 mcSv/h on the way back and the slow rises passed a bit quicker.. so the drop in that area occoured about 05.30 gmt as the fog began to clear..

so the protesters may have been safer than downwind but it depended on local wind and temperature conditions… if you had got one of those giegers downwind a bit .. especially at stupid oclock in the morning, you would most likely find the fallout! interesting issue with where to find the leukemia.. ask busby what he expects to come out of these reactors.. i think it is high in volume in beta bearing materials with gamma particles at the edges of the clouds…

heres a cool animation that shows fukushima sweeping across the german 1 meter above ground monitors

see what can be done with the monitoring systems if they are unleashed from over averaging!!

• arclight arclight

wow she updated the fallout map.. it seems to show the circulating pattern of weather bring in the fallout to germany from the north west and west.. got to watch this again.. this is very cool radiation watching stuff!!

• Sue

Yeah, I knew about these issues but just thought that it would be OK by now. Used to love looking at the fog on the river – not anymore, just wish it would clear. Thanks for keeping us updated.

18.30 pm gmt london radiation reading with kodo drums and digeridoo mix

Chris Busby and others at Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station 10 March

Big demonstration on 10th March outside Hinkley Point nuclear power station in Somerset to oppose the building of a new reactor by the French EdF Energy. Chris Busby talks about using International Human Rights and Environment laws to raise the issue of the requirement built into the EURATOM Basic Safety Standards Directive by the Greens in the European Parliament to force re-assessment of Justification for all practices involving public exposures to radiation if new and important scientific evidence appears. This begins with a simple demand to the Environment Minister of the Member State country and also a Petition to the European Parliament. Then if the Minister refuses to order a reassessment take the case to the European Courts. Watch out for template and instructions in the next few weeks on http://www.bsrrw.org and http://www.llrc.org . Rosa Cato on the camera.

• VanneV anne

For some reason this posted in a December webcam discussion, so I am reposting it here:

• Anti-Proton.com
    March 15, 2012 at 11:54 pm I have just released a full report on six soil samples taken from three areas of Japan. The sample size is small, but the results are quite clear.
    Anti-Proton.com/japan

Chiba test data is in there too.

• Sue

Thanks for finding this Arclight, didn't think to look. So glad that Busby did speak but sad that I missed it. What a great guy, such passion and commitment. Truly inspirational. Showed my family the mobile phone clip – I've been on their case about this for years. Maybe they'll listen to Mr. Busby.

• vital1 vital1

Geiger Counters are not sensitive enough to be of much use testing food or liquids unless the food or liquid is badly contaminated it won't show anything above your background level.

Food contamination is specified in Becquerels per Kilogram or Liter and numbers are tabulated in the 20 Bq to 500 Bq/kg range depending on the isotope for food contamination.

Two parallel Geiger counter SBM20 tubes can measure down to 2000 Bq/kg activity which is a factor100 too insensitive for detecting radiation in food. Scintillators can detect radiation contaminated food and the scintillator needs to be in a lead shielded environment with the food sample during testing. The lead sheilding is to help screen out background.

I am investigating cost effective easy to use food testing equipment. If I find something I will let you all know. I have found a couple units at present ranging in price from $2000 to $11,000. These would be outside of most peoples reach unless there was a group purchase.

If any of you find a suitable unit post the info.

• vital1 vital1

After Fukushima the EU widened the maximum allowance for radioactivity in food! It used to be a max of 600 becquerel (Cs-134 / Cs-137) p/kg and now it is 12.500 becquerel p/kg.

Shortly later the USA dd something similar:

1000x more strontium-90

3000 – 100.000 x iodine-131

25.000 x nickel-63 is now allowed

The criminals are in charge and they will tell you it is safe for you and your family to eat poisoned food.

Countries have raised the so call safe food contamination levels all over the world. So if you do food testing look at the old food safety levels for a possible guide to what is safe. Even those are probably set to high.

• arclight arclight

nice posts vital! hope you catch busbies video on the nuke discussion forum! wow! the nuke companies are going to be dead in the water.. they have always said that nuke plants are squeeky clean… not really!! talks about sea to air transfer too!! big statements! :) happy st pats bro! ;)

• vital1 vital1

arclight,

Looked at the Busby video and it is very revealing how the bureaucracy works. Lie, lie, lie, until the majority know the truth and take action to stop whatever corruption is in progress.

IF they do not become aware continue as planned!

• vital1 vital1

The Berthold Becquerel Monitor LM 200 food tester comes in at around AU$11,000, and seems to be the easiest to use for the novice.

• vital1 vital1

I have created this web page to list the local daily background radiation levels for the Sunshine Coast Australia. You are all welcome to visit the page for the up to date local background info for my region. I will as usual post charts and commentary on significant radiation detections happening in my local area here at enenews.

—————————————————————–

Get the message out there on how serious the Fukushima nuclear disaster is

Put it everywhere, libraries, notice boards, web pages, forums, Facebook,
    and tweet! Think outside the box.