Published: September 3rd, 2012 at 5:28 pm ET
9,855 comments

Thread Guidelines:

This off-topic discussion thread is posted to be used as a place for discussion of topics not related to Fukushima and/or nuclear issues.

If a moderator decides a post is off topic, it will be moved to this thread.

Suggestions welcome, use the Contact Form.

*THIS FORUM IS NOW LOCATED HERE*

Published: September 3rd, 2012 at 5:28 pm ET
9,855 comments

1. FORUM: Off-Topic Discussion Thread (Non-Nuclear Issues) for Jan. 5, 2013 – Mar. 25, 2014 February 1, 2013
  2. FORUM: General Discussion Thread (Nuclear Issues) for Mar. 1 – 11, 2012 March 1, 2012
  3. FORUM: General Discussion Thread (Nuclear Issues) for Mar. 12 – 25, 2012 March 12, 2012
  4. FORUM: General Discussion Thread (Nuclear Issues) for Mar. 26 – Apr. 1, 2012 March 26, 2012
  5. FORUM: General Discussion Thread (Nuclear Issues) for Apr. 11-30, 2012 April 10, 2012

9,855 comments to FORUM: Off-Topic Discussion Thread (Non-Nuclear Issues) for Feb. 26, 2012 – Jan. 5, 2013

• guezilla

Regarding the natural gas leak/expolosion discussions, researchers create a map of natural gas pipeline leaks in Boston (explosive concentrations at points):

Why does it take external researchers to come up with something like this?

Also, investigation firm says they find criminal intent in the cause of 7% of gas explosions: http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-fire-expert-south-side-disaster-has-elements-of-intentional-blast-20121121,0,4325680.column

Fox59 has also been following the Indianapolis explosion closely, where during the last few days officials announced gas was intentionally released into the house during the day of the explosion. The home's co-owners boyfriend's white van was seen there that day, with two people entering the house. Two people, including boyfriends older brother and someone else connected to him have been taken into custody, with third person (presumably the boyfriend) being sought. Rather sketchy, but things are moving along. As of yet no sign of terrorists or UFO's.

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

Sigh…when money is the prime factor, safety is the last concern unfortunately. And gas lines were just put in along the road outside my home. And ironically…they they buried them exactly where your tire passes over. You can see it clearly with the new paving strip.

• VanneV anne

Gaza deal seals major role for Egypt's president
    November 21, 2012
    “CAIRO (AP) — The Gaza cease-fire deal reached Thursday marks a startling trajectory for Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi: an Islamist leader who refuses to talk to Israelis or even say the country’s name mediated for it and finally turned himself into Israel’s de facto protector.
    “The accord inserts Egypt to an unprecedented degree into the conflict between Israel and Hamas, establishing it as the arbiter ensuring that militant rocket fire into Israel stops and that Israel allows the opening of the long-blockaded Gaza Strip and stops its own attacks against Hamas.
    I”n return, Morsi emerged as a major regional player. He won the trust of the United States and Israel, which once worried over the rise of an Islamist leader in Egypt but throughout the week-long Gaza crisis saw him as the figure most able to deliver a deal with Gaza’s Hamas rulers.
    ‘‘’I want to thank President Morsi for his personal leadership to de-escalate the situation in Gaza and end the violence,’’ U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who met Morsi Thursday, said at a Cairo press conference with Egypt’s foreign minister announcing the accord.
    ‘‘’This is a critical moment for the region. Egypt’s new government is assuming the responsibility and leadership that has long made this country a cornerstone of regional stability and peace,’’’ she said….”

• Sue

@GITD

For some reason the reply button wouldn't work. But yes,
    I now know that Agenda 21, the Fabian Society and now Common Purpose are behind the 'social engineering' that is destroying my childrens education, the fabric of society and everything that was decent about this country. I'm sickened.

I admire what you are trying to do with the Japanese students. That's exactly what I was trying to do with the American/Australian Exchange students, trying to get the parents and teachers informed about the dangers of travelling to Fuku.
    Good luck, if you can stop one student from travelling to the area it will be worth the effort.

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

Hi Sue, Thanks for your encouragement. I'll remember that.
      I am also glad that you are beginning to see what's behind Agenda 21 and everything else goes with it such as WHO, scientific study corruptions to support nuclear or to sell more vaccines or chemtrails so that we will be all sick one way or another eventually and that's more money for the pharma industry. All these zigsaw puzzles fit together. When they were scattered around, it was called conspiracy theory or paranoia and laughed at but too much has come about now.

Anyway, have you read the recent news about new addition of baby vaccine? I am horrified to learn that babies are to be given tummy bug vaccine. They already receive five at such an early age…now 6. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20268350

I don't know if UKColumn has covered it yet but something ridiculous about the new benefit Universal Credits too. Part-time workers could be forced to quit work so that they can attend something called Workfare. This basically means they have to quit paid job to work for nothing elsewhere e.g. charity shop or community service along with prisoners. Honestly, it is madness. It doesn't make sense if the govt is trying to help people to go back to work.

Anyway, shock after shock, one thing or another, I am not surprised. Johnny Depp was right. Up is Down…a hoy!

• Sue

Hi GITD
        Yes, the new baby vaccine is crazy. I gave my kids single jabs and now wish that I had refused them all. In these enlightened times, I have now been brave enough to insist that my daughter not be given the new and highly controversial cervical cancer vaccine. She questions my sanity because 'all her friends are having it', but what can you do?

I've been aware of the Agenda 21/Fabian Society directive since learning about it from Glenn Beck many moons ago. Love him or loathe him (as I am sure most of you here do), you have to admit that he was way ahead of the curve when it came to doing his homework on Globalisation, George Soros and the Arab Spring. You may say many things about him, but you can't say that he didn't try to warn us.

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

Hi Sue,
          When you weight the cost of the new vaccine and its effectiveness, IT doesn't make sense. None of the vaccines are for life and people still get the disease even having had a vaccination! They will always say though, it's for the best of your health. NOT! It's best for you….Orwellians! I mean god knows what's in the vaccines? Not only the heavy metals, not inactive virus but live ones, nanoparticles!?

Hopefully, your daughter will also learn the truth one day soon. In the meanwhile, she needs to concentrate on what she needs to learn for her age without too much worry because it's battlefield out here. :(

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

Good mind map Sue!

"slow and secretive merging of the public and private sectors and preparing Britain for takeover by the EU."

We clearly see this happening. Controversial A4E, ATOS (non-UK company) working together with DWP to punish disabled people(!), G4S taking over police duties etc

I must say though, NLP is only a tool and depends on the intention of the user it can be put to bad use but I have seen it being used for good use too so I won't disregard it so quickly. It's an effective way of communication as well as supporting excelerated learning etc.

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

garrh, I should be going to bed but you got me going now :P

"breach of data protection law"
        The new monster DWP/Job search database that holds CV of everyone may be accessed by anyone…good possibility that it will happen.
        And CCTV!! Britain is plastered with them and did it stop crime!?

"Mental manipulation"
        Have you seen Derren Brown's apocalypse (part 1 & 2) on Youtube?
        This is exactly what is happening to us through the use of media such as TV and internet.

Also, assasination is possible without leaving a memory, also by Derren.

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

Re-try of apocalypse video link as it broke.

• Maggie123

Hi Glow – adding to your NLP observation to help redeem its reputation! :) Before marketing/sales enthusiasts realized how they could use it to manipulate the less wary, it was among noteworthy kick-starters that launched the "self improvement movement", in reality a "self-awareness" movement. The point of the movement was to explore ones own 'world view', explore how it developed, and to develop a greater capacity to work through previously unrecognized (therefore 'hypnotic') culturally acquired psychological 'mechanisms'.

NLP introduced awareness of language 'framing', and encouraged awareness of individual unconscious preferences of how we receive, store, retrieve and communicate information. A lot more besides. I studied it in the early days. My 'take' was that it synthesized and re-packaged understandings of how human consciousness/language/psychology are "of a piece". Some insights were new, others could be linked back to Adler, a contemporary of Freud, whose insights showed up throughout late 20thC with his name scarcely mentioned!

Early titles of interest: "Frogs into Princes"; "Structure of Magic" Vols 1&2; "Patterns of Hypnotic Techniques – Milton Erickson" Vols 1&2.

IMO Tony Robbins was a turning point. NLP took off as means to wealth, etc. from about then. Became part of "me" ethic and a PR candy store! If NLP basics were taught as personal learning, much manipulative trickery would be rendered useless. :)

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

Hi Maggie123,
          Those are good books ;)
          NLP covers quite a wide range of things, not just the hypnotic side of things but awareness, quite right. You get to realise what you do, how you think and how that affects the world around you e.g. family etc, only when such problems become apparent, one can fix one's habit or relationship with the family etc. Also, in a social situation, one can calm an agressive customer for example, whether on the telephone or face to face by 'mis-matching' and 'leading' to avoid adding fuels to the situation. NLP can be used for sales type of manipulation but it can also be used by teachers to enhance students learning process because we all learn in a different style and therapists can use the techniques within their sessions to help patients. One very simple but amazing technique… when someone is in a state of despair and crying or just thinking in a negative way and they can't think anything but negative thoughts and stuck (e.g. I can never get out of this debt!), ask them to look at the corner where the wall and celling meets. This physiology disables them to think in a negative way. It's really strange but try it when you feel stuck in negative thoughts, have a conversation with yourself looking up. It may not turn you to a happy go lucky person in a second but at least you will be able to come up a slightly more balanced solution. :D

• Maggie123

Hi Glow – will try the corner trick and will share it, it's one I'd not learned! I studied the above texts as independent study with a college psyc instructor in my pre-teaching career (farming). When I got my 1st teaching job NLP was still considered some kind of witchcraft – I showed up ready to deal with learning styles and no one knew what I was talking about! About 5 yrs later I was in one of the district admin's offices. He'd just finished a masters and the same NLP books were on his shelves from his studies! :) I used NLP insights and strategies all the time. Worked up a unit for my young elem students to help them explore learning styles. (Eventually "multiple intelligences" (Gardner) came along, and NLP stuff began to show up in all kinds of teaching ideas/strategies so it was a rich time to teach – so many ways to create interest in the kids about themselves as learner/thinkers, and also to explore communication and mind-state strategies! I also studied counseling. Human psychology/awareness as essential understanding for better world is a long commitment of mine. As an English major with a passion for psychology and with fondness and facility for metaphor – I couldn't get enough of NLP, Satir, and Erickson! My more recent efforts have gone back to Adler a lot as I believe understanding infant/early years world view formation is needed as part of what I call "psychological literacy". Great to touch base re NLP! :)

• Maggie123

Just thought re 'corner trick' – eye movement is something I explored a lot. Have been very annoyed with popular demonstrations on TV, etc. to "tell if someone is lying" as I learned it is mandatory to ask preliminary questions to determine individual eye-movement with different kinds of mental activity – what "most" people do, is not everyone! My present life situation doesn't give me much opportunity to keep up my skills – your reply has re-stirred my enthusiasm, woe to next person who ends up in face/face conversation with me! :)

• GlowInTheDark GlowInTheDark

wow Maggie123, you sounds like a very dedicated teacher, a great one at that :D

Yes, eye movement is an interesting one too and you are right, you have to calibrate the subject first with some questions since everyone is different. In more recent years, I started to get interested in Microexpressions since watching 'Lie to Me' :D

When I'm on the bus and teenage girls are noisy and I want a quieter environment I use breathing technique (matching and mirroring) or energy technique to calm their energy level down so that they stop yelling! You can make people around you fall asleep without a word so I usually sit at the back, away from the driver :O Is that manipulation? my bad ;P

I have been away from NLP for a while too. It's a deep subject which I'm sure you won't stop learning.

• VanneV anne

What's really in vaccines? Proof of MSG, formaldehyde, aluminum and mercury

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/037653_vaccine_additives_thimerosal_formaldehyde.html#ixzz2Cucnfd00

• JHewes76 JHewes76

MSG? To make it taste better, no doubt.

If any other ingestible product had any of those ingredients they would be labeled as poisonous.

• VanneV anne

MSG is an excitotoxin to the brain

" Aluminum – A light metal that causes dementia and Alzheimer's disease. You should never inject yourself with aluminum.

•" Antibiotics – Chemicals that promote superbugs, which are deadly antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria that are killing tens of thousands of Americans every year.

•" Formaldehyde – A "pickling" chemical used to preserve cadavers. It's highly toxic to the nervous system, causing blindness, brain damage and seizures. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services openly admits that formaldehyde causes cancer. You can see this yourself on the National Toxicology Program website, featuring its 12th Report on Carcinogens.

"There, the formaldehyde Fact Sheet completely neglects to mention formaldehyde in vaccines. This is the "dirty little secret" of government and the vaccine industry. It does state, however, that "…formaldehyde causes myeloid leukemia, and rare cancers including sinonasal and nasopharyngeal cancer."

• "Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – A neurotoxic chemical called an "excitotoxin." It causes brain neurons to be overexcited to the point of death. MSG is toxic even when consumed in foods, where it causes migraine headaches and endocrine system damage. You should NEVER inject MSG into your body. But that's what health workers do when they inject you with vaccines.

• AGreenRoad AGreenRoad

Dr. Russell Blaylock MD Discusses Vaccine Dangers; via A Green Road http://agreenroad.blogspot.com/2012/05/dr-russell-blaylock-md-discusses.html

Dr. Maurice Hilleman Admits Vaccines Contaminated; Viral Cancer, Leukemia, AIDS, Etc; via A Green Road

• AGreenRoad AGreenRoad

Mercury Amalgam; Linked To Disease, Paralysis And Death; via A Green Road http://agreenroad.blogspot.com/2012/11/mercury-amalgam-linked-to-disease.html

• JHewes76 JHewes76

Dec.21 2012. I remember laughing when I first heard of the Mayan prophecy… now it's looks like we're pretty much on target. Wouldn't that be a real kick in the nuts ;)

• Maggie123

AGreenRoad, others – on the topic of estimated costs to address Fukushima and all costs of all critical human affairs these days.

I'm picking up on AGreenRoad's post here http://enenews.com/newspaper-japanese-leaving-country-because-radiation-passport-issuance-growing-sharply-deep-distrust-govt/comment-page-1#comment-307158 – but am not focused on Fukushima.

ENE has never tackled "economic fantastical absurdities" in the off-topic forum and I'm not sure I'm personally ready for it. Am also not sure ENE OT forum space is ready.

But I do wonder if anyone here besides me has reached the point of collapsing on the floor in a heap of laughter when we're given these figures as if we should take them seriously.

I'd guess most ENEers are well aware of the dominant economic system's shortcomings: built on debt and expectation of interest payments; unrelated to 'real' productivity; cost/profit calculations forced to 'externalize' true costs (such as environment); relies on and seeks most economically desperate workers as key 'profit' component. Add – has become sacred – worship includes selecting portions of population to sacrifice so 'God Economy' will be pleased once again. Has a priestly class who claim authority to make rules without consultation while reminding 'inferiors' of their duty to pay.

I'd love to see people everywhere treat the absurdity with laughter more often. :)

• AGreenRoad AGreenRoad

Would love to see your estimates for the TOTAL cost of loss of

all nuclear plants in Japan, cost to replace…?

Cleanup costs; decontaminating all land and water, 3 times. Once is not enough.. cost is between $19-$35 per square meter. Once cleaned it recontaminates, so it has to be done EVERY YEAR. Figure it out.. What is the total cost for oh, lets say 100 years of this?

loss and value of all land; covering approximately 1/2 of Japan, not cleaned up.

all waterways, lakes and a good chunk of ocean

huge amount of underground aquifer

forests and other wild things contaminated

health costs in response to this accident for the next 10,000 years, for all people in japan and across the globe.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but enough to prove the point.

If you come up with a price tag below 10 TRILLION, show us how…

It is the height of absurdness to say the total cost of the FUKU crisis is only 100 Billion or so.

Hamas
    “….Among the charter's controversial statements is the following: "The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews [and kill them]; until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: Oh Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him!"[35] The document also quotes Islamic religious texts to provide justification for fighting against and killing the Jews of Israel,[73] presenting the Arab-Israeli conflict as an inherently irreconcilable struggle between Jews and Muslims, and Judaism and Islam,[35] adding that the only way to engage in this struggle between "truth and falsehood" is through Islam and by means of jihad, until victory or martyrdom.[35] The Charter adds that "renouncing any part of Palestine means renouncing part of the religion" of Islam.[74] The charter states that Hamas is humanistic, and tolerant of other religions as long as they do not block Hamas's efforts.[75]….”

• Maggie123

Hi Everyone – Possible interest – may be uplifting – more people 'out there' doing what they can than we sometimes realize. I've spent time recently chasing down insights relevant to Palestinian/Israeli conflict. I found two video lectures that are pleasant, give insights on cultures we may not know. Neither is directed at Israel/Palestinian conflict.

One is interesting re Muslim culture and is focused on Iran. Since Palestinian/Israeli conflict seems settling down a bit now, Iran is likely to resume it's role as reason we can't possibly allow ourselves to appreciate deep humanity of "those people over there". Rick Steves is a travel specialist, makes films, gives talks, (sells tours). He has a lifetime commitment to peace activism. His 2008 film on Iran gives deeper understanding of the people – to catch all observations I recommend watch whole way through. http://youtu.be/rtELk8S3dhU. (Made 2008 so economics there will be much worse due to severity of sanctions.)

Second is also Rick Steves – personal statement of why he travels, what it means to him, insights and observations on Western, (US), culture's misunderstandings. "Travel as a Political Act" – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piF5ikeveHA&feature=share&list=ELtSt07mqXCTw. (I f-fwd'd the part about force feeding geese – I refuse to 'be reasonable' about some 'traditions'.) Other than that – I think it's valuable viewing. It's also 2008 so doesn't capture what's happened to EU, etc.

Whistleblower Protection Act goes to President's desk
    Nov. 14, 2012,
    “The Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act (WPEA) was unanimously approved by the Senate on Tuesday, marking a positive leap forward for federal employees who expose fraud, waste, and abuse in the government. The bill, which was unanimously approved by the House in September in a pro forma session, now moves to President Barack Obama's desk for his signature.
    “According to the Government Accountability Project (GAP) and Project on Government Oversight (POGO), the legislation expands protections for exposing wrongdoing, ensures fair processes for whistleblowers, and addresses administrative authority to oversee whistleblower protection, among other issues.
    “The legislation does not extend as far as it could, however. It leaves out members of the intelligence and national security communities, and it does not give jury-trial rights to enforce protections.
    “President Obama issued a Presidential Policy Directive in October aimed at providing more whistleblower protections, which includes some key provisions this legislation is lacking. While President Obama's actions are helpful, as Sunlight and others said at the time, legislation will be needed to ensure these protections…..”

• VanneV anne

“Israel Responds to Hundreds of Rocket Attacks by Targeting Underground Rocket Launch Sites”
    “in October, 171 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel; in first two weeks of November, roughly 90 were fired into Israel BEFORE Israel responded (some 275 have been fired since Hamas’ military chief was assassinated).
    “this man was responsible for masterminding many terror attacks against Israeli civilians and was planning more. He also was the mastermind of the incursion into Israel that killed two IDF soldiers and kidnapped Gilad Shalit, held five years with no Red Cross visits….”

Repost Ramaswami Kumar
    April 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

@Anne:Re: The Hindu, Opinion » Editorial
    April 14, 2012,State of readiness
    See my prediction of threat to Kudankulam and Kalpakkam because of large earthquakes in North Indian Ocean and off the west Coast of Northern Sumatra,heat producing ones at Kutch,and Satara(Koyna!) and Ratnagiri(A nuke park is proposed!)Maharashtra as well in Jammu and Kashmir.Google search for predicting earthquakes/Ramaswami Kumar at
    The upshot of the discussion is that the cumulative effect of the dams has been to heat up the earth directly as to cause melting of rocks and if fortuitiously if a nuclear complex is situated on the rock, we may have a tragedy on our hands. This is what happened at Kashiwasaki Kariwa and Fukushima.

Magnitude

Distances
    39 km (24 miles) ENE of Ishinomaki, Japan
    46 km (28 miles) E of Yamoto, Japan
    53 km (32 miles) E of Wakuya, Japan
    60 km (37 miles) E of Kogota, Japan

• VanneV anne

EPA using same tactics as terror groups to hide emails from the government
    Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038045_EPA_terror_groups_emails.html#ixzz2CvhA6tH0

• VanneV anne

“…Khaled Meshal, Hamas' top leader, thanked Iran for its military support at a triumphal news conference in Cairo.
    "’This is a point on the way to a great defeat for Israel,’ he said. ‘Israel failed in all its objectives.’
    “He suggested that the West had come to Hamas and its Islamist allies in Egypt pleading for peace. ‘The Americans and the Europeans asked the Egyptians, “You have the ear of the resistance,” ‘ he said, using the term Hamas prefers to describe itself and other Palestinian militants fighting the Israeli occupation. ‘Egypt did not sell out the resistance as some people have claimed. Egypt understood the demands of the resistance and the Palestinian people.’…"

• Sue

Coal resurgence calls undermine clean energy commitments

Coal,the dirtiest and most polluting of all the major fossil fuels, is making a comeback.

Despite stringent carbon emissions targets in Europe designed to slow global warming and massive investment in renewable energy in China, demand for this most ancient source of energy is greater than ever.

Why? Because it's cheap, and getting cheaper all the time. Due to the economic downturn, there has been what Paul McConnell, senior analyst at energy research group Wood Mackenzie, calls a "collapse in industrial demand for energy". This has led to an oversupply of coal, pushing the price down.

It has also led to a massive surfeit of CO2 emissions permits, pushing the price of carbon, and therefore the cost of coal production, sharply lower.

Equally important, there has been a huge influx of cheap coal from the US, where the discovery of shale gas has provided an even cheaper alternative energy source. The coal has to go somewhere, so it's exported to Europe

More madness

Is Carbon Capture Storage a reality or is it just another 'Emperor's New Clothes' method of making the usual suspects even more money?

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

@Sue

Sue, I have only had personal experience with two coal-fired generating plants; one in Tampa with "scrubbers" and one without them in Gainesville. Guess which one is the cleanest? There are no emissions from the one in Tampa and Gainesville pollutes constantly because it does not have scrubbers. I definitely would prefer that to nuclear power.

• Sue

Global Governance – The Quiet War Against American Independence

I'm sure that many of you have seen this film before, but always worth watching again.

Happy Thanksgiving, though I don't know if we've got that much to be thankful for.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

Gilad Atzmon does it again…

Alan Dershowitz, Devil’s Advocate

• NoNukes NoNukes

November 20, 2012
    Methane Is Popping Up All Over Boston …In Boston and many other aging cities in the Northeast, a maze of underground low-pressure natural gas pipelines are riddled with leaks. The research team, led by Nathan Phillips, an associate professor of earth and environment at Boston University, measured atmospheric methane concentrations along all 785 miles of road within Boston’s city limits with a highly sensitive device known as a cavity-ring-down mobile CH4 analyzer.

• NoNukes NoNukes

Published: Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Fracking blamed for methane releases
    LISMORE, Australia, Nov. 21 (UPI) — Australia's largest natural gas fracking operation is showing larger than expected leaks of methane, research conducted as part of a government inquiry found.

With fracturing of shale beds to release more natural gas becoming increasingly popular, releases of methane — which has a greenhouse gas heating effect 25 time that of CO2 — are a concern, the researchers said. http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/11/21/Fracking-blamed-for-methane-releases/UPI-34731353537030/#axzz2CyI898lz

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/11/21/Fracking-blamed-for-methane-releases/UPI-34731353537030/#ixzz2CyIJKJrZ

• NoNukes NoNukes

Methane Hydrate Part I: The Science
    by Jeff Danner – Common Science
    Posted Nov 18 2012 8:17PM In the coming months and years, you will be seeing more and more news stories about methane hydrate. Some will claim that it is the energy source of the future while others will warn that it will bring about the end of civilization as we know it. So what is methane hydrate and what drives both the excitement and the concern?

Let’s start with the basics. Methane (CH4) is the simplest of all hydrocarbons, consisting of a single carbon atom bonded to four hydrogen atoms. Methane is the primary component of natural gas and the two terms are often used interchangeably. To understand the different technologies which are used to extract and recover natural gas, you first need to understand how it was formed and why it came to be located in the various geologic structures it inhabits. http://chapelboro.com/Methane-Hydrate-Part-I–The-Science/9686450?pid=279235

• NoNukes NoNukes

UNION TOWNSHIP, Pa. — A methane leak in a small Tioga County township caused problems for some neighbors this past summer.

Shell operates 49 natural gas wells in Union Township.

The company had to burn off methane from three of its wells in order to prevent the issue from getting worse.

A fireball, along with two others, burned off and on in 24/7 cycles for nearly two months.

Magnitude

6 km (3 miles) ENE of Ohara, Japan
    19 km (11 miles) SE of Mobara, Japan
    20 km (12 miles) NE of Katsuura, Japan
    28 km (17 miles) SSE of Oami, Japan

Map: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/140_35.php

• NoNukes NoNukes

…Laurie Barr knows this. She's spent the last two years driving across northern Pennsylvania, hunting for wells.

Until recently, Barr had no inkling that abandoned wells could be dangerous. Then she heard about a house in northwest Pennsylvania that blew up last year. State regulators centered their investigation of the incident on gas from an abandoned well, drilled in 1881 and located about 300 feet from the home…

Ever since, Barr has made hunting down abandoned wells her life's calling. Earlier this year, she launched an online "scavenger hunt," encouraging others to look for wells and pass along their locations and information.

Barr has plotted about 100 new wells since her hunt began in November. She drives me to a northwest Pennsylvania forest to point one out. It's a jagged, rusty pipe sticking out of the ground. "Depending on the pressure underground, or the water table, this pours with water," she says. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/npr.php?id=164139865

• WindorSolarPlease

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

I am thankful for this site, a place where I can get information.

I am thankful for all the posters, who also give information.

In my life, I am especially thankful for my family and for two very cute little chihuahua's.

Most important I am thankful for God, because of his love he gets me through everything.

My Wish is Love and Peace For Everyone

• JustmeAlso

A little free artistic scene in which Marylin explains relativity
    to Albert:

Going to sign off.. And thank goodness those founding fathers left Holland! ;)

• Sickputer

Thanksgiving wishes to all and especially to the people suffering in Japan.

Today is also the 49th anniversary of John F. Kennedy's death. He worked hard for the first nuclear test ban treaty. In his speech to Americans he let us all know the dangers of fallout:

"Second, this treaty can be a step towards freeing the world from the fears and dangers of radioactive fall-out. Our own atmospheric tests last year were conducted under conditions which restricted such fallout to an absolute minimum. But over the years the number and the yield of weapons tested have rapidly increased – and so have the radioactive hazards from such testing. Continued unrestricted testing by the nuclear powers, joined in time by other nations which may be less adept in limiting pollution, will increasingly contaminate the air that all of us must breathe.

Even then, the number of children and grandchildren with cancer in their bones, with leukemia in their blood, or with poison in their lungs might seem statistically small to some, in comparison with natural health hazards. But this is not a natural health hazard – and it is not a statistical issue. The loss of even one human life, or the malformation of even one baby – who may be born long after all of us have gone – should be of concern to us all. Our children and grandchildren are not merely statistics towards which we can be indifferent."

SP: A great loss to the world November 22, 1963 in Dallas.

• Maggie123

SP: Thoughtful – thank you. I have just finished posting thoughts recalling some of the principles of Eisenhower and John Diefenbaker (Canadian). (Posted them as replies on general nuclear discussion, should have redirected them here, just as your thoughts might well be placed there!)

So – within a matter of 30 minutes I've been prompted to reflect on wisdom offered by 3 elected national heads; each in different ways chose to be personally subservient to service to national community.

I'm sorry the anniversary of Kennedy's death has not been publicly acknowledged (or I've not seen it, but have not specifically looked). That we let memory of models of service fade, replaced by chatter about when early retailers do or will begin 'black Friday' sales, says something about our culture – the distortion of our values, the ease by which we allow ourselves to stay superficial.

Earth's abundance shared in welcoming community – two of Thanksgiving's most profound (to me) meanings! Now, everywhere but especially at ENE, we find ourselves tasked with rescuing both!

Oh dear! But also – great thanks. :)

• or-well

And yet look at the hagiolatry of Reagan.

• Maggie123

Which is one reason I made my posts – small effort to reach farther back and pull a few earlier models into light of day! So many followed the flow that was developing around time of Reagan – there were other social/cultural factors that dove-tailed nicely,

IMO – for instance, the "human potential" movement began to interpret "personal potential goal" as 'polished career/high income'. Enthusiastic focus on "my personal attributes for my personal success" included ideas like "I have to avoid people who simply aren't trying to improve themselves".

IMO, the human potential movement's insights were a badly needed step in greater awareness. But the enthusiasm was so strong it neglected interest in larger human interaction, (community)! Thus – the "me" generation. The concept of community got squashed in many respects (not all, not everywhere, not by everyone).

Now, IMO, we're overdue for a "human community potential" movement, (and the commitment to service that comes with it)! :)

• or-well

Well Maggie123, perhaps that will grow out of the "human community consequences of nukes" realisation.
            Sorry for the awkward phrasing.
            Nothing like the potential consequence of extinction to focus the mind.
            I wonder, if amidst all the noise of the Internet, there isn't a signal carrying a message of service.
            Just thought, no data, prompted by all that is freely given through e-media.

• Maggie123

Or-well – I think there is a message of service, Occupy demonstrated it's 'aliveness', and certainly it's seen in more conventional organizational models. It's not yet 'caught fire', isn't a dominant 'wakened state' sweeping the culture. Not sure it ever was, but I agree with you that if ever we had cause and nudge – these times give both! My thoughts which I should have posted here are instead here: http://enenews.com/forum-general-discussion-thread-nuclear-issues-july-2012/comment-page-30#comment-307421.

Re your 2nd post, "new age corporatists" – in abundance to my observation. And mantra "I succeed when you succeed" I agree does show up in consulting, marketing, etc. This is promising if/when it ever 'spills out' of limited contexts, if an 'aha' moment causes people to say: "Oh! This could mean all humanity, even all life!" (My dream – here and there known, practiced, beautiful. I like to think it's spreading. As per your "consequences of nukes" observation – we've got plenty of bells clanging that might wake us up!) :)

• or-well

And re: human potential movement I've met many – let me say "new age corporatists" for convenience – who pursue economic success with no less zeal for having convinced themselves they've put a humanistic face on material acquisition as scorecard as long as they feel good about themselves.
            And to be fair, I've met some who practise "I succeed when you succeed" but that is usually in consulting fields related to training or multi-level marketing.

• or-well

Sickputer, all, re: Kennedy's death
      Scene: Canada, British Columbia, very small town, elementary school.
      Someone comes to classroom door. Kids watch. Teacher disappears.
      Heavy vibe.
      P.A. system comes on. It's Walter Cronkite's voice with the news.
      I know that. He's on one of the few TV channels we get.
      Kids whisper, confused. Teacher returns. We "know". Not exactly what, but we "know", because she's been crying. And because us kids are attuned to the emotional content of voices.
      We're all sent home.
      The adult world had just been rocked, and so ours was too.
      I saw my first real murder live on TV when Ruby shot Oswald.

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

@or-well

I was in a department store where many televisions were on display. Everyone walked directly over to them and all were standing around crying.

BTW to all, read "Family of Secrets" about the Bush family. Well researched and worth the read.

• richard richard

"WSPA are thrilled to share this special update on the Zarnesti Bear Sanctuary; both the progress made on the final enclosure and the bear rescues that took place in late October.

We are thrilled to announce that along with our wonderful national ambassador Asher Keddie, our local partner Asociatia Milioane de Prieteni (AMP) and Victor Watkins, WSPA's Wildlife Adviser, we have rescued three more bears from illegal captivity in Romania.

It is through your continued support that these bears were rescued from a lifetime of cruel captivity and are now taking their first steps in the lush surrounding of the WSPA funded Bear Sanctuary.

We also wanted to share with you the great news, that the final enclosure of the sanctuary is now complete. As a result WSPA will continue to work hard, to rescue the remaining known bears, who continue to live in miserable captivity in Romania.

We have documented the rescues and the completion of the new enclosure through this eBook which captures through beautiful photography the monumental week the WSPA team just experienced."

• VanneV anne

“…Who killed JFK Jr.? The same people that murdered his father. The International Bankers, the Shadow Government, the One Worlders, the Illuminati, the secret societies, those who will not hesitate to get rid of anyone who gets in their way in building their socialistic One World Government. And rumor has it that JFK Jr. was looking into who was behind his father's death. Apparently he was in the process of documenting and proving with facts that the international bankers and their operatives, the Illuminati, were the sinister perpetrators of the foul acts against JFK Sr. and his uncle RFK. He was intending to publish these details in his magazine GEORGE. One researcher asserts that he was planning to announce that he was running for President as a traditional Democrat, or even possibly as a third party or independent candidate in the 2000 election….”

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

On Thanksgiving Day I want to give Thanks to

the ones

Who care for the helpless
    Who speak for the voiceless
    Who fight for the defenseless
    Who stand up for the rightless

the ones

Sheltering the homeless
    Feeding the hungry
    Protecting the weak
    Loving the abandoned

the ones

That go against the flow
    Dare to make a difference
    Rolling up their sleeves and

~!~Just Give a Damn~!~

…by Frances Heyman

Thank you EneNewsers & Admin for Giving a Damn~!~

Wishing each of you a Thankful Day ~Maiden Heaven~

..Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around..It is My Secret~!~

• WindorSolarPlease

Maybe this is why we are here, to help others

Billionaire Ty Warner stops for directions, gives woman $20,000 for medical needs

Click..http://www.examiner.com/article/billionaire-ty-warner-stops-for-directions-gives-woman-20-000

• richard richard

Ty Warner deserves some kudos and I hope he can be a role model to those others with more money then they could ever hope to spend.

Plenty of areas of opportunity to throw some loose cash in this world.

• Maggie123

I hope so too, Richard. It must have felt truly wonderful for him to spontaneously be so generous, especially as in all probability, from my sense of how it went, his act was genuine, not geared toward public attention.

I'd like the story a teeny bit better if the recipient were someone who looked more life-worn! Foolish to wonder if that would have made a difference, I like to think not.

The encounter did trigger Ty Warner's awareness that the potentially life-saving treatment is not available, maybe he'll take that farther. All in all a good story of "interface" between two economic realities that stirs new understanding!

• Sickputer

Did I say recently to the Admin thanks for this forum?

Thanks!

Otherwise I would never have learned so much information about religion, HAARP, chem trails, the illuminati new world order, Zionists versus Muslims, Muslims versus Zionists etc…

My brain is large…I can eat a couple more Peruvian bananas and have enough neurons to assimilate these Illuminati Fnordian comments by Steve Jackson: *;-)

SP: I would like to know more about Number 47. >;->

“If you've got the truth you can demonstrate it. Talking doesn't prove it.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

• Anthony Anthony

SAURABH SHUKLA | MAIL TODAY | NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 19, 2012 | UPDATED 09:08 IST
    UFO sightings inside Indian territory bordering China raises security concerns

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/ufo-sightings-in-india-near-china-boundary-raises-security-concerns/1/229741.html

Monsanto Co. seeks to take over Mexico's heartland with GM maize

• Maggie123

RE Monsanto GM corn and maize – I recommend anyone with garden or access to land consider finding non-hybrid 'ordinary' seed for corn, maize, and all common grains plus anything else that interests you and begin raising a bit, even if you can't possibly get enough harvest to do anything with it but save seed for following year. Maize (I know as 'kafir') is mostly for animals in N.Am. but consumed by humans elsewhere. My family raised it for its advantages on dryland (non-irrigated) US prairie farming.

I've been pretty lazy on seed-saving but am making a start – carrot, onion, and bean so far. My property had a volunteer alfalfa plant when I moved here which I let grow. The plant over time has scattered seed, I now have 4 plants – each large, vigorous, with no watering or care on my part. This year I harvested the plants and spread seed-laden stems where I hope to establish more. I found 1 volunteer wheat, fully mature, and have saved its seed.

Home vegetable and grain growers have saved seed 'forever'; it was revived in back-to-land movement but I didn't develop the practice. Commercial growers really struggle to deal with Monsanto's increasing control. I believe non-commercial growers are well positioned to quietly help out by saving seed from unmodified varieties. Serious problems in any case with wind-born cross-pollination between GM and natural – but maybe we can help by keeping 'clean' varieties alive, even in small quantities.

• Maggie123

Note re 'hybrid' vs GM – for those who may not know, hybrid seed pre-dates GM seed and is entirely different. Hybrid seed is cross pollination of 2 'pure' varieties for vigor but there is no genetic manipulation other than that. Hybrid vigor is an old practice because 'purebred' plants and animals can develop genetic weaknesses from repeated "contained" re-breeding. Most plants, left alone in the wild, do their own 'hybrid vigor' cross-pollination thing by insect and wind.

Monsanto is messing with genetics 'big time' in its GM "inventions" – Creating varieties that contain 'alien' genes makes crops less susceptible to herbicides so growers can douse fields with Monsanto weed-killers. It's backfired after about 15 years because weeds have "learned" to escape the toxins and are now "super weeds"!

There are other horrors with GM crops – from human health (growers); to legal (accidental cross-pollination with neighbor farmer's non-GM crops reproduces the 'copyrighted' GM qualities, and Monsanto sues agressively); to insect die-off from GM crops developed with toxins against common damaging insects (toxins affect *any* insect, not just targeted species.)

Monsanto's reach is already global – they are firmly 'entrenched'. Saving seed from small backyard patches may turn out to be very important, IMO.

• Maggie123

Forgot to say re why it's not recommended to save seed from hybrids if food yield is your goal – the seed is '1st generation' and type of plant is totally unpredictable. Combinations to create hybrid seed could be one short stemmed variety with low grain yield, with a variety that has high grain yield but brittle tall stalks. If you plant seed from plants grown with hybrid seed, you could get either or even other unpredictable qualities. Commercial hybrid seed is meant to be 1st generation only, farmers purchased new seed each year, but there was nothing toxic or copyrighted about these plants!

• 16Penny 16Penny

Mass. Nat'l gas Explosion: With video embedded in story

Downtown Springfield building explodes following gas leak

0 loss of life, building evacuated prior to ignition of gas. Hope all of those student mothers are able to find new work.

• NoNukes NoNukes

Mini- earthquake in N.J. jumpstarts Black Friday
    MORE COVERAGE
    More about the earthquake

Andrew Seidman, Inquirer Staff Writer
    POSTED: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 3:01 AM

Raymond Yans, U.N. Official, Calls For Marijuana Ballot Rollback

“The head of the U.N. drug watchdog agency is urging U.S. federal officials to challenge ballot measures in Colorado and Washington that decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults 21 and over.
    “Raymond Yans says the approvals send ‘a wrong message to the rest of the nation and it sends a wrong message abroad.’…."

• Sickputer

Oh yes… Heaven forbid these "impartial" BB bureaucrats should lose their status as appointed cultural cops:

"Members of the Board shall be persons who, by their expertise, competence, impartiality and disinterestedness, will command general confidence."

SP: Too bad the father of our country grew that "narcotic" plant in his garden. I guess Uncle Tom Raymond can continue making up more lies about the "narcotic" devil weed. Oh wait Raymond… It's not technically a narcotic plant anyway. You and your Big Brother buddies just made that shit up to keep the blacks and Hispanics from spending their money on something less toxic than booze and tobacco.

• VanneV anne

Culture at work: from Thanksgiving to the commercialism of Black Friday, who has time or wants to think of the radiation contaminated turkey.

Thanksgiving Celebrates Our 'Original Sin,' 'Views Virtually Identical To Nazis,' Journalism Prof Preaches

“Forget all that turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie, today should be a day of fasting and atonement for American ‘sin.’ That’s according to Robert Jensen, a journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin. Jensen, known for his hard-left politics, also calls Thanksgiving a “white-supremacist holiday.”
    “Jensen’s opinion piece ‘No Thanks for Thanksgiving,”’ appeared on the far-left, Soros-connected website Alternet on Thanksgiving eve. In it, he wrote how Native Americans suffered because of the ‘European invasion of the Americas.’ He went on to compare the Founding Fathers to Nazi Germany. ‘How does a country deal with the fact that some of its most revered historical figures had certain moral values and political views virtually identical to Nazis?’ he asked.
    According to Jensen, Thanksgiving is ‘at the heart of U.S. myth-building. But in the United States, this reluctance to acknowledge our original sin — the genocide of indigenous people — is of special importance today,’ he explained….”

• Maggie123

Anne – one thought that crossed my mind on Thanksgiving – the incredible irony that our culture's myth trumpets pilgrims being assisted by existing native wisdom and practices. An established highly cooperative culture contributed to survival of a newly arrived culture which, over time, would be among the least cooperative of all strong and developed nations!

• CBuck CBuck

There are some of us who celebrate Thanksgiving for what "we" have..our families, our health, etc. I will NOT be held accountable or feel guilty for what anyone has done in the past, or "thinks" anyone has done in the past.

• Maggie123

Hi CBuck – I apologize for not being more clear. I don't mean to blame and certainly don't mean to diminish Thanksgiving, which has been my favorite of all holidays for the very reasons you name, plus my long involvement with farming is closely liked to deep appreciation of "harvest home 'ere winter storms begin". I don't even suggest that the particular Pilgrim settlement was somehow 'corrupted'.

I meant to make an observation at how things have turned out in our general culture (the shopping frenzy for instance) vs early cooperative models – not only from First Nations but several early white settlements explored cooperative models.

Throughout childhood however, I was told many times that without help of 1st Nations, white settlements would have starved. This story was usually emphasized at Thanksgiving so I have a tendency to think of source of 'cooperative social model' as coming from Native American practices.

I didn't meant to suggest our modern feelings of thankfulness are false – they are very real and deeply genuine!

• CBuck CBuck

Maggie, my reply wasn't directed toward you…I should have clarified that. :)

• Maggie123

CBuck – :) Well, I'll say other people, even close friends of mine, have bristled at my 'preaching' before so your remarks sounded 'familiar'! :)

• Maggie123

BTW – I did, also, get my young fruit trees watered. Thank goodness there are only 3 of them, (plus 2 small blackberries, a raspberry, and I hope the 2 young grapes are dormant, not dead.) We've had no moisture for November and I don't think there was much late summer through to now. My 'permaculture project' will be OK I think if I can get the plants through the first few years and they've grown good, deeper, roots. Otherwise it looks like diet may be prickly-pear year around! Have learned seeds of buffalo gourd are edible and am casually placing wild seeds for that, leaving them to grow as they can if they do. :)

A Valley of Death for the Navajo Uranium Miners

Lawrence Livermore and Navajo Nation to partner in energy efforts
      "’With an abundance of coal, oil, gas, uranium, water and transmission lines, the tribe's energy plan hopes to outline a better utilization of their resources,’ said Steve Grey, program manager at LLNL, who was instrumental in coordinating the MOU….
      “Lawrence Livermore, Los Alamos and Sandia national laboratories are the three (ST4) NNSA laboratories that are beginning to lay the plan to work with tribes to support them through long-term technical assistance.,,,”

• VanneV anne

I was really calling attention to the radioactive turkey and the continuing destruction of the land with radiation, fracking, and pesticides. Exploitation and land grabbing and wealth grabbing are still part of our culture.

• Maggie123

HI Anne, and I realized after posting that I'd had the same list in mind that you give – radiation, many toxins, and continuing land destruction (not just shopping) – but hadn't mentioned them. I also realize, BTW, that my picking out a single 'irony' that I happen to see re original Thanksgiving is over-simplified. You recently observed that no culture, no person, is of 'pure motivation'. To me this holds up also in history – no culture has been ideal. Some have had certain wisdoms that others have lacked, IMO, and in time to come, I hope we can synthesize societies of greater conscious wisdom. (What got me about the irony I mentioned is that I'm into retirement age, have spent most of my life observing and commenting on 'society', have had many Thanksgivings some and go, and never thought of an irony tucked into American first thanksgiving story until this year!) :)

• VanneV anne

TY, Maggie. I never would have thought anything like what was in that article I posted. I found the link on the website, News Updates from the Cuttingedge. Of course, many of the pilgrims were fleeing from oppression in Europe. Freedom for one is not usually freedom for all. Even today it is sad that millions of Americans have no medical insurance, and half of all children in the US live in poverty.

• Maggie123

You're welcome Anne – So often in last few years I've wished I'd hung onto my college "Early American lit" text books which had lots of writings, sermons, letters, etc. of those earliest settlers. One strand of my own family arrived fairly early, pre-Revolutionary W. They managed to be involved in witch hangings – in fact one of my ancestors (a guy) accused another ancestor (a woman) of witchery and she was hung! THEN he decided it was a horrible idea and joined anti-witch hunt voices, (of course, always the late remorse!) :)

• 16Penny 16Penny

If anyone is getting depressed, or is already depressed, here is a site with all of the peanuts cartoons:

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose