Tepco Detects Record Radiation Levels At Fukushima
Dow Jones Newswires
Published June 27, 2012
[Tepco] said Wednesday record amounts of radiation had been detected in the basement of reactor No. 1, further hampering clean-up operations.
Radiation levels above radioactive water in the basement reached up to 10,300 millisievert an hour, a dose that will kill humans within a short time after making them sick within minutes.
The annual allowed dose for workers at the stricken site is reached in only 20 seconds.
The Fukushima operator said that radiation levels were 10 times higher than those recorded at the plant’s two other crippled reactors, No. 2 and 3. This was due to the poor state of the nuclear fuel in the reactor compared to that in the two others.
“Workers cannot enter the site and we must use robots for the demolition” -Tepco
h/t Anonymous tip
Published: June 27th, 2012 at 3:35 pm ET
- Record radiation levels at Fukushima (REUTERS VIDEO) June 5, 2011
- CNN: “Strange green glow” seen inside Fukushima reactor — “Yellow, blue-green and other colors could be seen” — Radiation dose hits record high near 50 sieverts per hour — 15 seconds of video removed just before levels spiked 1,000% (VIDEO) April 20, 2015
- Typhoon increases level of radioactive water in Reactor No. 1 basement by 17 inches in a day — Likely to continue rising July 21, 2011
- New indoor radiation dose record at Fukushima — 5 sieverts per hour detected at Reactor No. 1 — May be higher as it exceeded capacity of measuring device August 2, 2011
- “Cover over Reactor 1 is only cosmetic” — Built to keep webcam from filming badly damaged building — Has nothing to do with preventing radioactive materials from escaping June 13, 2012