Fox News, Feb 8, 2017 (emphasis added): Adam Housley, who reported from the area in 2011 following the catastrophic triple-meltdown, said this morning that new fuel leaks have been discovered… He said that critics, including the U.S. military in 2011, have long questioned whether Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) and officials have been providing accurate information on the severity of the radiation… He added that critics are now questioning whether the radiation has been this severe all along.
Fox News video transcript excerpts, Feb 8, 2017: “Experts believe melted fuel is leaking inside the plant almost daily… No one knew [in 2011] of the growing threat which today only continues to get worse… Wow, this is a crazy story… What some people are saying is, ‘ Has it been this bad since the beginning?’”
Washington Post, Feb 8, 2017: Could the radiation level be even higher? Possibly. The 530 sievert reading was recorded some distance from the melted fuel, so in reality it could be 10 times higher than recorded, said Hideyuki Ban, co-director of Citizens’ Nuclear Information Center.
Published: February 8th, 2017 at 6:46 pm ET
- “Unprecedented”: Fukushima reactor “far worse than previously thought” — “Melted fuel has come in contact with underground water” — Molten core appears spread over “extensive area” — Japan “will have a much more difficult time decommissioning” — Official: “It’s a very big turning point” (VIDEO) January 31, 2017
- “Unimaginable”: Record high radiation levels at Fukushima plant — “Gaping hole” found under containment vessel — Officials now admit: “It’s highly possible melted fuel leaked through” — Concern over radioactive gas leaks (PICS & VIDEO) February 2, 2017
- Breaking: Nuclear fuel found “beneath containment vessel” at Fukushima plant? — Parts inside reactor “no longer there” — “Search barely begun for fuel that burned through” — Workers probe underwater below plant for molten cores (PICS & VIDEO) January 30, 2017
- *Experts on Fukushima Unit 4* CNBC: “Far from under control, could get a lot worse” – Japan Times: “Could very quickly get much worse” – CNN: “Could still get a lot worse” — “Tokyo, Yokohama, even neighboring countries at serious risk” (VIDEO) August 30, 2013
- CBS: Tepco says fuel removal even worse than Gundersen’s analogy — It’s like pulling ‘lit’ cigarettes from a crushed pack — Going to get far more difficult in future (VIDEO) January 27, 2014