“Five O’Clock Shadow” with Robert Knight
WBAI Radio (Monday -Thursday, 5p-6p ET)
June 7, 2012
ARNIE GUNDERSEN of Fairewinds Associates details the latest nuclear issues of Fukushima and the domestic environment [...]
At 9:45 in
It’s probably more serious than what you just said.
It’s truly frightening.
What happened was these fish were caught [and tested] five months after the accident…. but the research wasn’t published until June of this year. Scientists sat on this information for 8 or 9 months while waiting to get report published…
It still had body burdens of cesium that were surprisingly high for a fish that had only been near Fukushima for a couple of weeks.
And what’s been going on since then? We know cesium is being continually released via ground water and as well as being deposited from these plumes.
It’s likely that the next catch is going to be worse than the tuna they caught.
Every one of these tunas had high levels of cesium 134 and 137…
Cesium detected from surface to bottom of ocean
‘Snow’ falling through water column, loaded with cesium…
Concentration in small fish is higher than these tuna.
So one would expect that now as more and more tuna start to swim toward the US we’ll see higher and higher levels of radioactivity in the tuna.
I don’t think that trend is going to stop for the next couple of years.
- Five O’Clock Shadow and WBAI click here (be sure to pick 5 o’clock Shadow as your show of choice)
- Arnie Gundersen/Fairewinds click here
Listen to the report here
Published: June 9th, 2012 at 12:50 pm ET
- *Listen to Fukushima Special* 1st Hour Guest Arnie Gundersen: When someone steps forward and publishes, we’re going to see higher radioactivity levels in California bluefin tuna (VIDEO) June 10, 2012
- TV: Could radioactivity levels in US tuna go up even? Are fish headed here with higher levels? (VIDEO) October 26, 2012
- TV: Bluefin tuna picking up more and more cesium — Contamination “will go on for 300 to 600 years” (VIDEO) June 22, 2012
- Professor: California bluefin tuna may have been contaminated by radioactive substances from Fukushima that traveled across Pacific, rather than contamination off coast of Japan — We don’t know exactly what is happening (VIDEO) October 10, 2013
- Forbes: Radiation in California bluefin tuna may be a blessing — Lead Scientist: My first thought was this will do more for conservation of this animal than nearly anything else could May 31, 2012