Title: Inspection of the Spent Fuel Appearance and the Fuel Rack in the Spent Fuel Common Pool at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station
Date: Dec 20, 2012
Spent Fuel Appearance Inspection
The soundness of the spent fuel (the impact of the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake) will be evaluated.
- Put the spent fuel on the fuel preparation machine installed on the pool wall and inspect the appearance utilizing an underwater camera.
- 26 (planned) out of the 6,375 spent fuels stored in the common pool will be randomly selected for inspection after sorting out by the fuel type and fuel rack type.
Fuel Rack Inspection
The soundness of the spent fuel rack (the impact of the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake) will be evaluated in order to examine the feasibility of long-term spent fuel storage in the common pool.
- The appearance of the rack materials will be inspected and the space between the foundation bolt nut and its seating surface will be checked by utilizing an underwater camera.
- 2 (planned) out of the 76 fuel racks installed in the common pool will be randomly selected for inspection after sorting out by the fuel rack type and seismic margin.
- For the purpose of mitigating the radiation impact on the underwater camera, all the spent fuels stored in and near the racks subject to the inspection will be moved to empty racks in advance.
Published: December 20th, 2012 at 10:25 am ET