Crews ‘facing 100-year battle’ at Fukushima, ABC Australia, April 1, 2011:
A nuclear expert has warned that it might be 100 years before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant. …
“As the water leaks out, you keep on pouring water in, so this leak will go on for ever,” said Dr John Price, a former member of the Safety Policy Unit at the UK’s National Nuclear Corporation.
“There has to be some way of dealing with it. The water is connecting in tunnels and concrete-lined pits at the moment and the question is whether they can pump it back.
“The final thing is that the reactors will have to be closed and the fuel removed, and that is 50 to 100 years away. …
Read the report here.
Published: March 31st, 2011 at 11:13 pm ET
- Nuclear Peril: “Beginning of a 3-5 year effort” says expert — Risk that Japan could “export its nuclear problems” via air and sea -NYT March 30, 2011
- Japan nuke expert: Melted fuel rods estimated to be 12 meters underground Reactors No. 1-3 — To be 100 feet deep in a year (AUDIO) September 21, 2011
- Fukushima reactors will be releasing radioactive steam for a year or more: US nuclear official May 27, 2011
- Japan Lawyer: Repeated calls for arresting Tepco officials — People “bewildered” after 40-year Fukushima plan announced December 21, 2011
- Nuclear Expert: 1,000,000 cancers from Fukushima in Japan over next 20 years — First thyroid, then lung, organ, brain, leukemia (VIDEO) December 22, 2011