RT, Nov. 19, 2014 (emphasis added):
- Ken Buesseler, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: “My biggest concern is what’s going on in Japan today, and how that might… make its way across to our coast… We know it’s still leaking because we’re measuring higher levels off Japan to this day… Even just the basic question, “How much radioactivity was released at Fukushima?” I can’t answer that today. We may never be able to because of the lack of sampling… particularly in the ocean.”
- Reporter: The models predict cesium levels to increase over the next 2 or 3 years.
- Buesseler: “If the levels were higher, we’d be very concerned about what’s going on today… We need to be out there making measurements of what happened 3 and a half years ago and how it’s being moved across the ocean.”
- Watch broadcast here
Test results from August 2014 show that just offshore California, radioactive cesium levels have reached nearly 9 Bq/m³ (Cs-137 @ 6.9 Bq/m³; Cs-134 @ 1.7 Bq/m³). As reported above, these levels are predicted to continue to increase for years to come.
Euronews interview with Tepco engineer: “Tepco has lost the trust of the Japanese people. They are covering up how badly the groundwater has been contaminated… When there is a leak into the water around the tanks, they don’t have to say anything. The cleanup is far from finished. There is an enormous amount of radiation debris remaining. Tepco said it will take 40 years, I believe it will take far longer.” >> Watch here
Euronews interview with Naoto Matsumura, farmer who has remained in evacuation zone: “It’s been 3 years now, the situation hasn’t changed. After the explosion, nobody knew what to do. Tepco and the government didn’t know how to deal with it — yet the world still wants nuclear energy, this is ridiculous… A cleanup can’t be done. Tepco lied from the start; Tepco is a den of inequity.” >> Watch here
Published: November 27th, 2014 at 6:50 pm ET
- “Big Problem”: Cracked floors in Fukushima reactors leaking into groundwater that’s rising and rising and rising due to Tepco wall — “Can no longer be stopped from getting in ocean” — “Worse than that… buildings now on mushy land” (AUDIO) August 28, 2013
- TV: “Massive radioactivity release” at Fukushima going on for almost 3 years now; Visible steam “just the tip of the iceberg” — NHK: Containment vessels are ‘broken’ (VIDEOS) January 5, 2014
- Official: Tepco has failed at Fukushima, no progress made — Tepco to change name, start new business — Tepco demands nuclear workers return payments, anger passed tipping point January 11, 2014
- New TEPCO footage shows smoke/steam rising from reactor buildings — (AERIAL VIDEOS) April 16, 2011
- NBC Nightly News: Worry at Fukushima plant — Scientist reveals “increased” amounts of radioactive groundwater have started flowing into ocean — Contamination levels in marine life to start rising — “Other countries are worried” (VIDEO) September 25, 2013