Evacuee Gavin Allwright Talks About Fukushima
Upload by: gipetv
Date: Oct. 6, 2012
Date Published: Oct 16, 2012
[...] House 10 km from Iitate-mura [...] 16 times the background radiation, so according to the Japanese government that’s safe [...]
We received hate mail for leaving [...]
I went back to try and help with the reconstruction.
Unfortunately, now I should probably paint myself yellow. I have a heavy dose of radioactive contamination myself.
I will be radioactive at least for the next 150 years. My children won’t be.
Unfortunately we can’t say that about [long pause], we can’t say that about my daughter’s and my son’s fellow students in their school.
We get letters quite regularly from them saying, “When are you coming back, it’s safe.”
Their parents are in denial. Who wouldn’t be? To live every day breathing that poison you’d have to be in denial. And my friends are, my family is over there.
Published: October 17th, 2012 at 5:02 pm ET
- Watch: It’s official, people who stayed in Fukushima are guinea pigs (VIDEO) September 1, 2012
- Louisiana Sinkhole Footage: Almost 100% of people in one subdivision nearby have stayed (VIDEO) December 4, 2012
- Translator Chokes Up: Japanese mother of 2 kids with thyroid cysts says “I couldn’t stop this, I couldn’t save my children this time… but I have to stand up and stop it” (AUDIO) November 26, 2012
- Former Energy Dept. Official: People near Tokyo “were getting a yearly radiation dose in about 10 minutes” from Fukushima releases — “Radioactive gases might have been leaving at a rate of 300% a day, instead of 1% assumed by designer” (AUDIO) April 4, 2014
- Fukushima Mother: ‘Strange smell’ at start of nuclear disaster — Health of entire family has deteriorated — More people who stayed have died, more kids have leukemia and cancer — All our thyroid exams turned out totally different when tested in Tokyo (VIDEO) December 25, 2013