Mainichi Weekly, Mar. 7, 2014: Severn Cullis‐Suzuki [is] a fourth‐generation Japanese‐Canadian [...] In 1992, at age 12, she delivered a legendary speech at the Earth Summit [...] “If you don’t know how to fix it, please stop breaking it!” Her impassioned speech was delivered on behalf of the world’s children, and it clearly struck a chord in the hearts of global leaders. [...] March 11 will mark three years since the Great East Japan Earthquake, and Severn pointed out that the Fukushima nuclear disaster was a warning to all of civilization. “In bringing my children, my most precious, precious beings, here (to Japan after the nuclear disaster), I have considered deeply the price and the risk for our children, for our energy paradigm,” Severn commented. We must transform this energy paradigm, she added.
Interview with Michio Kaku on KQED, Ph.D. in nuclear physics from UC Berkeley and protégé of ‘father of the H-bomb’ Edward Teller, Mar. 3, 2014 (at 2:00 in): Well, think of someone hanging at the edge of a building about to fall off, but hanging on by its fingernails — that’s the Fukushima disaster right now. You realize that we have 3 melted cores, we don’t know what they look like [...] We have 100s of tons of radioactive water. The utility is now admitted that much of that is washing into the ocean, getting into the food chain. We’re talking about cesium-137 with a half-life of 30 years, meaning that is radioactive, for perhaps 300 years — getting into the food chain slowly. People in Tokyo sometimes had to go with a Geiger counter when they go vegetable shopping. It’s this horrendous situation that’s going to cost billions of dollars and about 40 years to decommission these reactors.
Euronews, March 7, 2014: The evacuated areas around the Fukushima nuclear plant remain frozen in time. It is like an end of the world movie set, but this is no work of fiction. [...] To see examples of everyday normality set in such unusual circumstances is spooky and disturbing. Walking around a ghost town supermarket, untouched for years, is something I will never forget. Rats are now in charge. [...] The clean up continues; the Japanese government and Tepco announce dates for the completion, but no one really believes them…… this is new territory.
Published: March 9th, 2014 at 1:49 am ET
- NHK Documentary: Our civilization is met with disaster because of Fukushima crisis — It’s a “civilization disaster” -Umehara (VIDEO) October 28, 2012
- Kyodo: Gov’t to dump Fukushima plant groundwater into Pacific Ocean once plan approved — Senior Scientist: No one believes claims by gov’t labs or Tepco about releases, “there’s a shattered trust there” (VIDEO) February 3, 2014
- 100 foot deep wall at Fukushima plant still being built, says Tepco — Trying to keep underground contamination from ocean — Years from completion? October 25, 2012
- TEPCO believes reactors No. 1, 2, and 3 are breached and leaking radioactive liquid – NHK (VIDEO) March 27, 2011
- “Extremely Strange”: Prime Minister Kan believes Tepco hiding key evidence — Claims its hard drive was full (VIDEO) July 16, 2012