Times of India (World’s largest selling English-language daily), Feb 10, 2014: Fukushima radiation data is wildly wrong, management apologizes — [Tepco] said that there were mistakes in the radiation levels they recorded last year. [...] a test-well last July was wrong and the actual level [was] nearly 170,000 times more than the permissible level [...] due to improper measurement. [...] Tepco has not yet revealed results of 140 samples taken between June and November last year, fearing similar under-estimates. The company said that “malfunctions of analytical equipment” caused these errors [...] Over 360,000 tons of contaminated water has accumulated at the site after being poured over the simmering reactors.
NHK, Feb. 9, 2014: The operator of the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant has decided to review radiation data after finding the initial readings may be much lower than actual figures. [...] it has detected a record high 5 million becquerels per liter of radioactive strontium in groundwater collected last July from one of the wells close to the ocean. That’s more than 160,000 times the state standard for radioactive wastewater normally released into the sea. Based on the result, levels of radioactive substances that emit beta particles are estimated to be [...] more than 10 times the initial reading. [...] The utility attributes the error to the improper measuring method that had been used until last October. It says the readings of radioactivity can be measured as being lower than they actually are in the highly contaminated water. [...]
Published: February 10th, 2014 at 11:45 am ET
- Kyodo: ‘Massive’ amount of Fukushima data wrong? “Figures can’t be trusted” — NHK: Strontium-90 by ocean at 160,000 times limit — Tepco: Actual levels “exceeded the upper limit of measurement… We are very sorry” February 7, 2014
- NHK: ‘Mystery’ radiation spike at Fukushima — High levels of strontium in water that leaked into soil — Many times above gov’t limit — Overflow from Tepco pumping it in wrong container (PHOTO & VIDEO) October 2, 2013
- Agency: Fukushima workers urgently trying “to prevent groundwater from leaking into ocean” — Levels of nuclear waste surge next to sea — Strontium-90 shatters previous record by over 5 Billion Bq/m3 — Now 25 million times EPA limit October 15, 2014
- Officials reveal about 2 Trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material flowed into ocean every month during 2013 — “Deadly strontium” releases now more than double cesium — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” (VIDEO) August 29, 2014
- WSJ: New Leak Detected at Fukushima Plant — Asahi: Strontium at 1,000,000 times gov’t limit? December 5, 2011