Title: Endless Fukushima catastrophe: Many generations’ health at stake
Author: Dr. Helen Caldicott, MD
Date: September 13, 2013
[...] It is becoming apparent that the three molten cores, each weighing 120 to 130 tons have not only melted their way through 6 inches of steel in the reactor vessels, but they now either sit on concrete floors of the severely cracked containment buildings or they have melted their way into the earth itself – this, in nuclear parlance, is called ‘A Melt Through to China Syndrome’.
[...] Each reactor core contains 500lbs of plutonium, but Reactor 3 contains even more, because it also contained plutonium/uranium fuel rods which were placed inside the core as an experiment.
[...] The whole reactor site sits on sodden ground, which has now become unstable, muddy and possibly liquefied. The site itself experiences many minor earthquakes each day, but should a quake greater than 6 or 7 on the Richter scale occur, it is likely that one or several of the buildings could collapse with absolutely disastrous consequences. [...]
See also: Gundersen: Fukushima cores in crisis just as bad as 'China Syndrome' -- Water is contaminated by nuclear fuel and leaking out all over and into groundwater, it melting into earth isn’t necessary (AUDIO)
Published: September 15th, 2013 at 9:05 am ET
- Gundersen: Fukushima cores in crisis just as bad as ‘China Syndrome’ — Water is contaminated by nuclear fuel and leaking out all over and into groundwater, it melting into earth isn’t necessary (AUDIO) September 8, 2013
- Fukushima Nuclear Chief after 3/11: It will be like ‘China Syndrome’ film, fuel to melt away — “We’re imagining collapse of eastern Japan… going to be more than Chernobyl” — “Could be Plutonium… all substances from fuel are going to be released” June 2, 2014
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima is a pretty close approximation of ‘The China Syndrome’; Melted fuel cores burned through containment vessels and material is below reactor structures mixing with groundwater — Essentially it’s a machine that’s washing radioactivity into the sea (AUDIO) November 4, 2014
- Top U.S. Official: “The reality is, no technology exists anywhere to solve problem” of Fukushima’s melted fuel — TV: Molten mass “will scorch into the earth” if not cooled, a ‘China Syndrome’; Geysers of radioactive steam shooting up for miles around (VIDEOS) July 3, 2014
- Scientist back from Japan: Melt-through of Fukushima containment vessels being discussed — They can’t locate any of the 3 molten reactor cores — “It’s bad, it’s definitely not over” November 25, 2013