Associated Press, Nov. 19, 2013: “I doubt if Fukushima Dai-ichi’s full decommissioning is possible. Its contamination is so widespread,” said Masashi Goto, a nuclear engineer who designed the Unit 3 reactor and now teaches at Meiji University in Tokyo. “We should not rush the process, because it means more exposure to workers. Instead, we should wait and perhaps even keep it in a cement enclosure.” [...] “If you just put concrete over this, groundwater still will be flowing and things like that, and you have an uncontrolled situation,” [Tepco adviser Lake] Barrett said. “I just don’t see that as a plausible option.”
Arirang’s ‘Prime Talk’, August 30, 2013 (at 2:30 in): I think they have to be really opening up their minds. If it comes to nuclear disaster, it’s an international one. It never was a national one because nuclear disasters truly going over and beyond and above the borders. Think about the atmosphere, hydrosphere, oceans. But they realized this a little too late. Probably they were the last one on the planet to realize this is situation. [...] The solution again [is] concrete. Just think about Chernobyl, they just poured concrete all over. Sarcophagus, that’s the solution. And they should have done it a couple years ago, they actually lost the opportunity, because by now the soils are all too much contaminated.
Published: November 19th, 2013 at 5:49 pm ET
- Nuclear Expert in 2011: “We are going to see the dance we’re in for another year or so” — They may throw up their hands and pour concrete on reactors (AUDIO) April 12, 2012
- Japan Professor: It’s such a dangerous situation for other countries — Gundersen: Gov’t does not want an adequate solution for crisis at Fukushima; Fear of it being found out just how bad things really are at plant? (VIDEO) October 19, 2013
- NHK: Radiation levels increasing at Fukushima plant — “No solution to tainted water” — Hundreds of tons flowing into reactor buildings every day (VIDEO) January 5, 2013
- Reactor Designer: “It was a nuclear explosion” at Fukushima Unit 3; Plutonium scattered after blast — ABC: “There’s willful denial and lying going on here, even at the highest levels” (AUDIO) November 5, 2013
- Professor: Fukushima is absolutely horrifying — Radiation will be entering Pacific for decades, there’s no end in sight — Nobody has a solution, problems are unprecedented (VIDEO) November 27, 2013