Fog of Disbelief, The Moth, Mar. 11, 2014:
Carl Pillitteri, supervisor at Fukushima Daiichi on 3/11 (at 1:30 in)
- It was always my favorite place to work. [...] My crew and I were working inside of the Reactor No. 1 turbine building, a huge rectangular-shaped building similar in size to an international airport hangar.
- This powerful earthquake causes these massive upheavals of the earth, and then these dropping sensations. It was taking this entire structure we were in with it. It was very violent and it was just starting [...] the concrete floor and walls around us began to crack and sections of duct work were coming down and the lights were dropping everywhere [...] this huge structure getting the living hell shook out of it. [...] We were standing just yards in front of this massive turbine and generator which was spinning at 1500 RPMs being driven by this steam coming right off reactor 1, right off the reactor. You don’t want a reactor… it was at 100% power and the sounds that began to come out of this turbine catch my attention and I start to realize it sounds like it wants to come apart and it’s going to explode.
- As if to galvanize and confirm my fears I hear my American coworker from afar in complete darkness ‘It’s going to blow, it’s going to blow.’ I recognized the terror in his voice. [...] I went to a psalm, 23:4 … “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow death I feel no evil.” I couldn’t get through it and I broke down in the middle somewhere and surrendered and asked, “Just please, just make this quick.” So we rode it out into the darkness. We were frozen there. We could feel it, we could hear it, we could smell it, we could even taste it, we just couldn’t see it.
- [Quakes] were just ripping through [...] the earth around me distorting like Jell-O.
Published: April 11th, 2014 at 10:47 am ET
- Nuclear Expert on BBC: “Absolutely no guarantee” walls of Fukushima fuel pools aren’t cracked — Salt water “would basically explode the walls, you can’t see that; you can’t get close enough” August 22, 2013
- Gundersen: Integrity of concrete at Fukushima plant studied — Salt water making it easier for fuel pools to crack? (AUDIO) December 31, 2012
- American Worker on PBS: “Demonic” sounds came from Fukushima plant — I don’t know if it was the earth or building moving (VIDEO) March 11, 2012
- Contamination sprayed on men at Fukushima plant — Alarm sounds over radioactivity levels — Worker: They never told us Reactor 3 building was steaming, “I found out about it on TV” (VIDEO) August 12, 2013
- Japan Nuclear Expert: Simply impossible to remove melted fuel from Fukushima — Corium “has spread all over… could actually have gone through floor of containment vessel” — Only way to deal with these reactors releasing dangerous radiation is to cover in concrete — Will take centuries of work (VIDEO) April 27, 2015