Asahi TV’s ‘Morning Bird’
Published by: treesneedco2
Date Uploaded: Oct 10, 2012
At 8:00 in
Masao Yoshida, Fukushima Daiichi Chief: As for the blown out panel of the unit 2, I think it might have been displaced during the unit 1 explosion [...] I have heard that there is a gap.
Main Office: Oh! Lucky!!
Yoshida: One of the staff have gone to check it now but it is unconfirmed so please don’t get too excited.
Main Office: It made me happy. [...]
Asahi: However, the unit 2 was developing a serious condition worse than the unit 1 or 3.
Fukushima Daiichi: The water level of the fuel pool gradually decreases and it reaches the top of the fuel rods, if it continues to decline, the fuel rods will start to melt. This is a suicide corps. The pressure is decreasing. There is no water, we can’t vent either. That’s no good. This is like the end. This is worse than the explosion earlier. Arrrrgh…
At 9:00 in
The audio was not recorded in the video conference footage but about this time, Yoshida made a telephone call to Goshi Hosono (Minister of State for the Corporation in support of Compensation for Nuclear Damage) and he said…
Yoshida: This could be the end.
Fukushima Daiichi: Venting. Venting is the primary task. There was no other option left but to carry out the dry venting. [...]
Main Office: Chief Yoshida! Chief Yoshida? Please open too. Even if a small vent is opened, there is another one too. Is that open?
Yoshida: Please don’t ask me too many questions. We are trying to open the dry vent right now! Please don’t disturb! Open the small vent first. Hurry up.
Main Office: Fail close. Fail close!
Asahi: The released recording ends here. [...]
For an in-depth re-creation of this event from the perspective of the workers inside Unit 2, see: NHK: "The unimaginable was happening" -- Workers say part of Reactor 2 containment vessel destroyed -- After alarming pressure readings, "we heard a loud bang... pressure is now zero" (VIDEO)
Published: October 10th, 2012 at 5:08 pm ET
- Tepco 3/11 Tapes: Army could use firearms on Unit No. 3 to release gas — “It will blow up anyway” (VIDEO) October 11, 2012
- Fukushima Tapes in English: Daini workers needed emergency room after being at Unit 4 — Unable to decontaminate exposed people — “Plants are not safe” (VIDEO) August 30, 2012
- TV: Unknown gas trapped in giant sinkhole sparks new concern — Vent wells being dug in the 4-acre slurry (VIDEO) October 8, 2012
- Fukushima Boss in 3/11 Footage: “Spent fuel pool at Unit 1 is exposed now” (VIDEO) October 11, 2012
- Tepco Tapes: Fukushima chief calls out ‘mayday, mayday’ when Reactor No. 3 exploded — HQ started to respond as if he said he was going out to lunch (VIDEO) August 6, 2012