Published: July 2nd, 2012 at 3:56 pm ET

In Containment: The people of Minamisoma, 15 months after the meltdown – Part 1/5
Director/editor Ian Thomas Ash
Producer/camera Koji Fujita
Published on Jul 2, 2012
Published by DocumentingIan

Citizens of Minamisoma share personal struggles they continue to face

At 5:00 in

Unidentified Speaker : And many women are aborting their babies.

Interviewer: I have also heard that the number of abortions increasing. But I don’t know if it’s really true.

Minamisoma Resident: It’s really happening.

Interviewer: It’s not just a rumor, but actually true?

Minamisoma Resident: Many people are afraid to have children. I know many people who feel that way. I know many women who were visibly pregnant then suddenly weren’t.

At 7:30 in

Minamisoma Resident 2: Although more than a year has passed we are still suffering. Our hearts are still anguished by issues such as this problem of increasing abortions.

Published: July 2nd, 2012 at 3:56 pm ET

1. Pregnant women used for decontamination activity after Fukushima disaster -Report (VIDEO) August 9, 2012
  2. Kyodo: Woman dies in Fukushima evacuation zone — Suddenly fell ill and collapsed March 20, 2012
  3. TV: Doctors warn about radioactive substances from Fukushima coming to West Coast in 2014 — Consider keeping kids away from beach, perhaps pregnant women as well (VIDEO) October 11, 2013
  4. Documentary: An insurance person told me people from Fukushima may not be able to get life insurance, and especially cancer insurance (VIDEO) July 2, 2012
  5. Three Mile Island meltdown 34 years ago today — “America’s Forgotten Nuclear Terror” — Pregnant women, small children told to leave area (VIDEO & AUDIO) March 28, 2013

99 comments to Fukushima Woman: Many are aborting their babies… It’s really happening — I know many women who were visibly pregnant then suddenly weren’t (VIDEO)

• There isn't enough money in the world to "compensate" these people for their loss.

• shiverca shiverca

That's heartbreaking! All this horror just for some electricity

• [REMOVED. Chemfood, please stop posting comments with links to your website that are not related to the post. Comments have to be on-topic and relevant. I wrote you an email about this but it must not have gotten to you.]

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

Somebody here said recently, "They don't hate us. They just don't care if we die."

I suggest a careful brushup on 'Eugenics'. The is a crisis they will not let go to waste.

You'd be surprised who has been involved in this movement. Very disturbing.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@Time Is Short: there's a lot of confusion between 'population control' and eugenics. Eugenics is distinct from population control, as it's concern is with the 'quality' of the offspring of the species of interest. The science of eugenics can be applied to animal husbandry, as well as humans. Due to the random nature of radiological contamination, the association of the Fukushima catastrophe is not rational. They're taking themselves out as well as us…

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

Another question. How many Japanese women get sonograms before their babies are born? A high percentage like US women?

What if the sonograms are showing great abnormalities. I'm not a female, but if there is a sudden rise in the abortion rate, why would so many additional Japanese women be aborting healthy babies, even if they're afraid of what's coming? It only makes sense to me if the babies are deformed.

This is a very topical question. I'd like to hear from some women on this. Is abortion of a healthy baby a better alternative than a child growing up facing radiation sickness, most likely at a young age?

And I'm sorry if the above sound crass. I just don't know how else to put it. This is a question that all young women are facing, along with input from the father in many, but not all, cases.

• In many societies there is great stigma attached to bearing a child with visible physical and/or mental disabilities.

In western society the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries logic of eugenics encouraged the belief that people with disabilities were morally and biologically "degenerate."

Hitler simply took to the extreme a philosophy that was very much in vogue in England and the US.

I don't know the origins of eastern attitudes toward disabilities but I do know that mothers of disabled children are often stigmatized, even today.

Talk about blaming the victims.

People born with disabilities should be recognized, supported, and accepted for the people that they are.

Environmental factors that cause disabilities – such as mercury, lead, ionizing radiation, Round-Up, etc — should be banned globally.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@Time Is Short: all good questions and concerns. One of the abnormalities that isn't likely to be revealed with conventional prenatal diagnostics are radiation induced disorders of the brain. These are subtle and show up down the road as 'learning' impediments.

Other radiation induced disabilities can be obvious in their presentation. In a modern world, having a child who is capable of learning is as important as any physical attribute. In the Japanese (and most oriental) culture, I've heard of instances where children have committed suicide for failing to keep pace with their peers. Regardless whether this phenomena is due to parental, societal, economic or peer pressure, unlike our slothful western culture, this is an indication of how much importance is placed on ones mental abilities in Japan.

If I were Japanese (or any other nationality), I'd be factoring in how Fukushima's radioactive contaminants may effect my offspring in such insidious a manner…

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

"In a modern world, having a child who is capable of learning is as important as any physical attribute."

I would add, "In any world, having a child who is capable of reproducing is as/more important as any physical attribute." Once we run out of them . . .

Thank you for the reply, AS. Well said.

• WildTurnip WildTurnip

Time Is Short, you asked:

From my perspective it's a heavy burden either way. Guilt for even thinking of abortion, anger that one would need to do such. Additionally, the difficulties of caring for a disabled child, increased medical costs — and as majia said, the stigma of bearing a disabled child.

Having a healthy child that may face radiation sickness, a deformed or mentally disabled child that may also face radiation poisoning, or an abortion. Not a choice I would want to make.

• daemonaquila

There's nothing crass about this. These women are making the right choice.

If I was pregnant in Japan, I would abort without a second thought, and to heck with the sonogram. Many terrible medical problems aren't visible. But more importantly, with the spectre of Fukushima not only irradiating most of the island to one extent or other, but possible creating an extinction level event, why would I want to bring a child into that? Even if the baby is born perfectly fine, what if the spent fuel pool cracks? Where in the world do I go? Will I be able to flee with that baby, or will we be stuck? What will I be able to feed that child, that isn't contaminated – this year, next year, 5 years from now? Easy, easy decision.

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

As reported radiation can damage a developing embryo by affecting say the left half of the brain or the right arm. (Teratogensis..Radiation damage to normal chromosomes)

Children are getting diseases that old people get. There is a high incidence of cataracts as well. Children are getting heart disease becasue Cesium 137 concentrates in the heart muscle. Must I go on?

It is heart wrenching & soul destroying to have to ask the question. Will my child be normal? And if so will my child then be damaged by the current radiation in the environment?

Do I have the Right to expose my child to this? Do I have the right to say NO?

No matter what decision… mothers will forever till there dying day ask …Did I do the right thing?

• SuI33

I don't agree with aborting a child simply because it could have a disability. Now, hypothetically speaking, if I knew the baby I was carrying was grossly deformed and disfigured because of some environmental contaminant (radionuclide's in this case), thus severely impeding its quality of life? If I knew that the child would be physically sickly and miserable with no real quality of life due the poison in my environment, then yes I would abort the child to keep it from a life of needless suffering.
      As it is now, I'm not even DREAMING of having my own children; the polluted contaminated state of our natural environment being only ONE factor in that decision.

• daemonaquila

It's not about aborting due to disability. It's about aborting due to the horror that child is likely to go through in its short life after it's born. When you look at the kids who were young or being born around the time of the Chernobyl accident, and afterward, a huge number of those who weren't born with severe disabilities are suffering from any number of illnesses from aggressive cancers to diseases traditionally linked with aging. Not only that, but the parents have no security to offer the child. They could be subjected at any time to more massive doses of radiation, evacuation to homeless shelters for months or years, or even stuck on an island that in a sane world would be considered unliveable after future contamination – with nowhere to go because they can't or won't evacuate all of Japan. That's a hopeless situation for those potential kids, a brief life with great mental and physical suffering.

• SuI33

When I read an article on Falluja awhile back, I saw pictures of the babies/fetuses born after the DU contamination there thanks to the illegal war on Iraq; it's a crime against humanity is what it is. Those babies… the images are thankfully not as clear in my minds eye as they used to be, but I remember thinking that what I was looking at was like something <b>straight out of hell.</b> To call what I saw unspeakably, horrifyingly disturbing doesn't even begin to describe it. It would be impossible to maintain any quality of life like that. I hope none of the newborns that I saw were alive – I can't imagine that they would've been… There's no excuse for using DU, there's no excuse for using these toxic, deadly water boiler's!! I'd like for all the pro nuke people to take a look at the babies that have been born in Falluja after the Iraq war, then afterwords see if they still feel so content in their hubris and ignorance.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hi Sul33, you raise good points. I love children. I thought I would have one until that horrifying night end of June 2011, which I spent with Sickputer, Whoopie & some others watching the webcam, staring at the billowing clouds of poison coming out of unit 3 & 4.
        That night I realised it would never end, and I thought that the greatest service of love to a child might be not to bring it into this world.

I can not imagine the horrors those Japanese women go through. I don't know if abortion is legal in Japan and, if so, until which week of the pregnancy.
        What saddens me most is the thought of them being alone in their decisionmaking, and, even worse, being alone after the abortion. I could imagine this topic not to be discussed publicly, leaving the affected women (and men!!) uncounseled in their despair.

• minkxy minkxy

I have to agree. I think it's intentional.And they have no intention of compensating. They will do a bancruptcy or such if pushed. People have been trained to depend on government , and the belief in checks and balances. The entire world is experiencing this. We {the world} need to be quicker and wiser….NOW . I am sorry for this tradgedy.Why not begin prosecution of political people.Find out who are the supposed shareholders pushing for restarts, and so on.

• minkxy minkxy

bankruptcy ….. oops

• Urban27

This is probably true.

This is what happens.

Foetuses are so vulnerable.

First all information about the nuclear plants and fallouts has been manipulated.

Now peoples lives and health also will be statistical lies, to be swollen by the large numbers.

• jec jec

After Chernobyl most pregnant women in the affected area had (if they wanted it or not) an abortion. So could be the same for Fukushima. Now if Ultrasounds show abnormal development in the child (I dont call them fetus!) –then the cultural norm is to abort. Or do what is done is some countries..the baby 'goes away'..doesn't breathe at birth..or has other procedures to terminate its life.

• getoutofjapan

I don't think they are aborting these children because they may be deformed or born retarded. Wake up. Japan's people all believe they themselves as adults are all going to die in a few coming years due to the radiation in their air, their food and even their water. They have to shower in water filled with cesium. If you gave birth to a normal child, it would take only a few weeks for that child to develop radiation poisoning or thyroid cancer and have to suffer horribly before death. This isn't about anything but common sense. You right to lifer's would rather watch a baby suffer horribly I suppose and shame on you. don't you realize what a tiny amount of radiation does to the fetus? If not you need to do the research before you open your mouth.

• lam335 lam335

As a "right-to-lifer," I'd rather see the parents get themselves and any children OUT of northern Japan. And I think couples living there now should take measures not to conceive in the first place for the time being … After moving as far away from northern Japan as they can, they should wait a few years before they think about conceiving.

The sad reality is that not all deformities/health problems relating to Fukushima will even manifest in the first generation born after it. Some of them will not even emerge until several generations down the line. This is a tragic reality for the future of the Japanese people, but aborting those infants with the most visible problems today is NOT going to stop this tragedy from unfolding into the future.

Nuclear destroys the very building blocks of human life. It destroys the genetic "instructions" one generation passes on to all future generations. No other technology has the potential to do this on such a broad scale, with such irremediable results.

• lam335 lam335

The Soviets wanted all unborn babies in the vicinity of Chernobyl to be aborted… They did not want this for "humanitarian reasons." They wanted to downplay the magnitude of the disaster, and they knew that these damaged little infants would be inconvenient reminders of its true human toll–inconveniently undermining their official pronouncements that sought to downplay its severity.

And that is also why the Japanese "authorities" would rather seen the youngest victims of Fukushima aborted. Their very existence threatens to (un}truth regime that their propagandists have successfully foisted on many of their people and on the world beyond Japan. These forces have a selfish interest in seeing such abortions occur. There was apparently already a cultural stigma against certain kinds of birth defects that made people seek abortions for such things before Fukushima in Japan. Was that really to "protect" the child, or was it to protect the parents from something their culture (wrongly) designates as "shameful."

Where does one person get the right to decide that another person's life is so defective as to not be worth living? This is an irrevocable decision, yet the person most affected by it has no say whatsoever. Every day, across the world, children too young to even understand their diagnoses bravely fight against diseases like cancer and leukemia. They would not fight in this way if a strong will to live were not housed in their frail little bodies.

• getoutofjapan

for all of you in Japan, we care deeply what is happening to you. Its your country and the USA government as well, not telling the truth to any of us. close to 100,000 USA infants now dead from radiation poisoning here as well. 90 percent of school age kids that were tested outside the fukushima zone all showed tyroid tumors. Nearly every child there. We care very much. Keep up the protests and bring these murderers who wanted to save money and cut corner and didn't care how many of you died in the process to justice. Make them pay, they are killing all of us in the US as well.

• Cisco Cisco

Abort, abort, abort…Chernobyl is the roadmap

In Belarus, only about 20% of the children are born without birth defects, the other approximately 15% will contract Leukemia and/or Lymphoma, heart disease, and various other auto immune diseases. In the remaining 5%, it is unknown (time will tell) as to their chances to succumb to heart disease, leukemia, lymphomas, brain cancer, some other cancer, and/or some auto immune disease in their lifetimes. What is known is that there DNA has been corrupted and if they survive to procreate, they will pass their damaged genes to the next generation and for every generation thereafter.

And, if you think these conclusions are extreme and/or unfounded, I suggest you start to research the epidemiological studies that have been conducted on Chernobyl. You can start with this photo essay if you dare… *Gene pool corruption…See this Chernobyl preview of our/your future, http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/chernobyl

• Cisco

I always find your comments interesting.

I understand what you are saying.

But, the situation may be that we would cease reproduction in the northern hemisphere if all people significantly impacted aborted.

I acknowledge that might be good for the biosphere; but, it wouldn't be good for us in the northern hemisphere…

• Cisco Cisco

10 years until 90% of humankind is gone…

majia…Thank you for your comments and nice words; but, I have a more terminal view than you regarding what this planet and the limited survivors will eventually look like some time after Fukushima Daiichi catches fire and explodes. According to one nuclear expert Fujioka Atsush (Professor of Economics, Ritsumeikan University and Planning Director, Kyoto Museum for World Peace. Specialist on the US nuclear economy, space and intelligence strategy, and economic conversion from military to civilian-oriented industry), the amount of nuclear radiation that will be introduced into earth’s atmosphere will be the equivalent of over 55,000 Hiroshima bombs.

Within 10 years, most of the northern and southern hemisphere will look like the 50 miles surrounding Chernobyl, now. Governments will have collapsed and those people who are still alive will have 3 primary functions, searching for food and water, finding shelter, and protecting themselves from being eaten. There won't be any forums of discussions about saving the planet and its people; it will all be about day to day survival.

Many, maybe most, of the existing nuclear power generating plants will be perpetually melting down. The domino effect will add more and more radiation from these plants, off gassing/releasing huge radioactive plumes. Eventually, as these nuclear plants fail in their geographic locales, the radiation from them will wipe out the rest of the survivors.

• Cisco Cisco

Japan has 53 nuclear reactors, who will be there to keep them from failing?

The reason not to have children is that shortly, there will be no way to humanely/competently care for them.

• Cisco

Can you please provide the citation for the Atsushi stat?

55,000 Hiroshimas not argued in this essay unless I missed it

thank you!

• Cisco Cisco

Majia…thank you for your question
            Fujioka Atsush states, “The 2,000 tons of nuclear fuel at the Fukushima Daiichi Plant is estimated to contain about 20,000,000 tb of radiation.”.

He also says about the radioactivity released in/on Hiroshima, “the total release of radioactivity was limited to 13,000 tb.”

Therefore, the math should look like this…20,000,000 tb divided 13,000 tb equals 1538 Hiroshima bombs, not “55,000”.

In other words, when the 2000 tons of spent fuel (total on-site) )at Fukushima Daiichi catches fire and explodes, the radiation released will be equivalent to, over 1500 Hiroshima bombs.

Thank you for catching my error. I still stand on all other figures and conclusions.

I will repost the entire thread with the corrected data as there is no app to edit.

• Cisco Cisco

10 years until 90% of humankind is gone…
              majia…Thank you for your comments and nice words; but, I have a more terminal view than you regarding what this planet and the limited survivors will eventually look like some time after Fukushima Daiichi catches fire and explodes. According to one nuclear expert Fujioka Atsush (Professor of Economics, Ritsumeikan University and Planning Director, Kyoto Museum for World Peace. Specialist on the US nuclear economy, space and intelligence strategy, and economic conversion from military to civilian-oriented industry), the amount of nuclear radiation that will be introduced into earth’s atmosphere will be the equivalent of over 1500 Hiroshima bombs.

• Cisco Cisco

Japan has 53 nuclear reactors, who will be there to keep them from failing?

• I think Atsush understates the amount at the plant actually.

Atsush writes: "In the 543 atmospheric tests carried out, 3,000,000,000 tb of radiation were released—a total 580 times that released in the Chernobyl accident.20 This is equivalent to 1900 times the total radiation leak from the reactors in Fukushima."

CONTRAST
                Akio Matsumura included on his webposting comments made by Robert Alvarez on fuel stored at Daiichi:

Alvarez: "Based on U.S. Energy Department data, assuming a total of 11,138 spent fuel assemblies are being stored at the Dai-Ichi site, nearly all, which is in pools. They contain roughly 336 million curies (~1.2 E+19 Bq) of long-lived radioactivity. About 134 million curies is Cesium-137 — roughly 85 times the amount of Cs-137 released at the Chernobyl accident as estimated by the U.S. National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP).

The total spent reactor fuel inventory at the Fukushima-Daichi site contains nearly half of the total amount of Cs-137 estimated by the NCRP to have been released by all atmospheric nuclear weapons testing, Chernobyl, and world-wide reprocessing plants (~270 million curies or ~9.9 E+18 Becquerel). . . .

[end Alavarez]

EMPHASIS "The total spent reactor fuel inventory at the Fukushima-Daichi site contains nearly half of the total amount of Cs-137 estimated by the NCRP to have been released by all atmospheric nuclear weapons testing…"

• These figures are still below atmospheric testing.

I known fuel pools are much dirtier than atmospheric testing.

Also, we still don't really know what is at the plant and how much has been incinerated.

I'm inclined to believe the storage situation is far worse than official records admit.

I also think Fukushima Daiichi wasn't the only one.

Still, I just cannot accept a short-term ELE. My mind cannot find that possible. Maybe defense mechanism…

• Cisco Cisco

I would agree. I chose to use Atsushi’s more conservative numbers. The radiation consequences for a fire and explosion of the on-site spent fuel is so enormous, equivalent to 1500 Hiroshima’s; that, I passed on using several other experts’ considerably larger estimates.

And, of course, his report was published September 12, 2011. A lot has transpired. As in the Deep Water Horizon, numbers relating to “danger “ were intentionally understated with the support of the administration and various over government agencies and departments.

Additionally I did not include the bomb equivalent for what has already been released and continues to be released. Incineration of the contaminated debris was not on the table in Sept 2011. Atushi was vague on the volume of radioactive water releases.

Even using Atushi’s conservative figures and noting his data is 9 months old, if SFP #4 goes; we’re still looking at an ELE.

• daemonaquila

There's no problem if we stop reproducing. It wouldn't be at all bad for us.

Look, as you've already pointed out, that would be good for the planet. But it would also be good for the people who would no longer be causing such a terrible strain on their resources. While we might see the economy shrink, it would do so in proportion to our numbers – no problem. If we're low on workers to fill some positions, no problem – less unemployment and more education for all. A much lower birth rate and diminishing population would be a fabulous gift for humanity. Now, if only we could arrange that WITHOUT a nuclear apocalypse…

• MaidenHeaven MaidenHeaven

Doctors in Belarus have asked women to not have any more babies.

The tears have started, although I tried to stop them. My heart hurts for those mothers who have to even consider aborting their babies. I am so truly sorry that you have to even think of it.

Just know that we understand….

• Cisco Cisco

was: "Any women who are pregnant now, should abort; and, virtually no one should attempt to produce any children in their life time."

SHOULD READ

now: Any women who are in Japan and are pregnant now, should abort; and, virtually no one should attempt to produce any children in their life time.

• That IS a fairly accurate article for yahoo/AP.

They even use phrases like this:

"spewing radiation"
      "went into meltdowns and exploded"
      "It's a lie that nuclear energy is clean,"
      "multiple meltdowns"
      "the worst nuclear disaster…"
      "Although initially ignored by mainstream local media…"
      (note: they call it ignored, not blackout.)
      "Crowds of tens of thousands…"
      "Many citizens are against a return to nuclear power…"
      "Saikado hantai," = "No to nuclear restarts."

AP By YURI KAGEYAMA
      | Associated Press – Sun, Jul 1, 2012
      (This journalist will probably be fired soon.)

• richard richard

@Chas ..
        AP By YURI KAGEYAMA
        | Associated Press – Sun, Jul 1, 2012
        (This journalist will probably be fired soon.)

Let's hope not… but I know what you're saying.

and thanks chargedbarticle for the find.

• arclight arclight

its the same the world over .. nuclears gift to womankind

"…Bibigul has unusual facial features. The central area of her face is widened so that her eyes are set far apart and her nose is wide and flattened.
    Her own mother has the same features although her sister seems to be free of whatever has caused Bibigul’s distinctive appearance.
    Bibigul’s son shows a family likeness to his mother with his wide-set almond eyes but it is not clear whether he has inherited whatever it is that affects his mother and grandmother.
    Pregnant for the third time – her second pregnancy ended with a miscarriage – Bibigul seems reluctant to attend the maternity hospital for her pre-natal screening.
    She is the wife of a farmer and they live in a remote settlement near Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan. Their home is sparsely furnished but they do have access to a mobile phone which seems to work on the Kazakh Steppes.
    Bibigul’s mother and sister are concerned that she has not been to the hospital and encourage her to attend. She must bring with her the documents that identify her as a victim of the ‘The Polygon’ – the nuclear testing centre at Semipalatinsk 21.
    These documents entitle her to ‘special’ medical services…"

• arclight arclight

Bearing the 'Chernobyl Necklace'
    As a result of her work in the contaminated zone, Manzurova says she now bears the "Chernobyl necklace;" two scars on her neck from operations to remove cancer from her thyroid.

"The left part of my thyroid gland was removed in 1990 when I was still working in Chernobyl," … "Less than a year ago the gland was operated on and removed entirely because of tumors in the remaining part."

After stories of forced abortions in the region surfaced, Manzurova told how her own suspicions were raised during a routine assignment in Pripyat.

"Next to the operation theater in the gynecology department, we saw a big can that is usually used in villages to carry milk. I opened the lid of this can and saw that there were fetuses that were from about the seventh to eighth months of pregnancy," she said.

Manzurova claims that Soviet authorities forced thousands of pregnant women to abort during the evacuations.

"There was a secret order by the government that all the pregnant women inside the 30-kilometer [18.6 mile] exclusion zone were to undergo either a Cesarean operation or were to be induced so that they would give birth prematurely," she said. "Only later the question came to my mind: What happened? Were these small children still alive when they were put into these big cans? t was evident they were forgotten in haste."

• arclight arclight

"..Fallujah, Iraq – While the US military has formally withdrawn from Iraq, doctors and residents of Fallujah are blaming weapons like depleted uranium and white phosphorous used during two devastating US attacks on Fallujah in 2004 for what are being described as "catastrophic" levels of birth defects and abnormalities…"

"..She was told birth defect incidence rates there are between 1-2 per cent. Alani's log of cases of birth defects amounts to a rate of 14.7 per cent of all babies born in Fallujah, more than 14 times the rate in the affected areas of Japan…"

".."There are not even medical terms to describe some of these conditions because we've never seen them until now," she said. "So when I describe it all I can do is describe the physical defects, but I'm unable to provide a medical term."

'Incompatible with life'

Most of these babies in Fallujah die within 20 to 30 minutes after being born, but not all…"

• As an American I apologize to the people of Iraq and Afghanistan and everywhere else the US has harmed.

I'm sorry; although I know that means little….

• HoTaters HoTaters

Majia, I agree. I'm at times ashamed to live in the U.S., knowing we collectively are responsible for so many atrocities. I had no idea, growing up, my country was doing such things abroad. I didn't fully know until about 10 years ago, and am so deeply saddened there are no words ….

Man's inhumanity to man is a common condition, all over the planet.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

I join you both in apologizing (to the world) for the innumerable acts of self-serving greed that's been demonstrated by 'our' government. They're too numerous to itemize, so I thought it better to apologize to all humanity and nature…

• nedlifromvermont

Me, too, I'm sorry as hell.

Who are the guys who pushed these nukes through … in the 40's, 50's and 60's and why didn't someone stop them?

The guys who met in the hotel in Denver and decided to site the plutonium facility at Rocky Flats … the forgotten "heroes" of the early days of nuclear, who downplayed the radiation risks, who just had to have this nuclear power and who perpetrated and WHO continue to back this fraud of an industry we call Big Nuclear …

Where are the grown ups from Harvard, MIT or Cal Tech, who could stand up to Big Nuclear from a decent sized podium, and speak straight into the camera, and call Jeffie Immelt and his GE crew a bunch of murderous bastards, who should be stopped, before all that is good about America is contaminated and gone???

Nuclear is a Ponzi scheme of delayed contamination for everyone …

It is a sick joke … like Forbes magazine said, "The biggest management blunder in the history of capitalism …"

… that calls into question the ultimate rationality of "free market capitalism"

US Big Nuke has blood of Japan on its hands (especially GE)

Where's the apology? Where's the mea culpaa? Oh that's right, in American free market capitalism, even if I kill 100 million innocent people, I don't have to, can never seem to, shouldn't even consider ever having to say, "I'm sorry." Our heroes can't say, "I'm sorry." Mustn't do it. Might get sued. Might lose all my money. MIGHT ACTUALLY…

• Siouxx Siouxx

The stories above are horrendous and at their core lies a fundamental problem, free market capitalism is a myth. The Nuclear Energy Industry has controlled the energy market ever since its inception as a by-product from making weaponry. In a free market Nuclear could not exist, the companies have been near bankrupt for years e.g. BNF. Salter's Ducks, a perfectly superb concept of alternative energy it was obliterated by the Nuclear Industry. This is what happens with everything and everybody who refuses to play the game and the game is no competition. It happens in every University around the World, even independently thinking academics either toe the line, produce the company funded research, publish the results the company wants or get out. University professors get paid/promoted on the money they bring to a university by touting for funding from whoever has the biggest bank roll and the way they got that bank roll was not through a free market. Nuclear power doesn't make sense, it never did, except the R&D made huge amounts of money for companies who didn't care a damn whether the designs worked or not nor what the consequences would be. Fukushima, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Windscale et al were always going to happen. When I was a kid, a group of six of us used to sit in the cloakroom at lunch-time and discuss this very topic. This was the late 60's, those girls then saw no future in bring babies into the World. As Finance falls apart maybe now we'll get a free…

• Auntie Nuke

"Nuclear is a Ponzi scheme of delayed contamination for everyone." Perfect way to explain it. Thanks.

• It's All Lies It's All Lies

I've watched After the Apocalypse that Arclight linked to and it's so sad.. Even decades after, a father walked into some of the crater and they were showing 300+ CPM on his Geiger. He wasn't bothered about himself but he was very concerned for his family. Very very sad indeed.

The program mentions classified documents released after the collapse of the soviet union which showed detailed tracking of all the residents and how radiation would/did affect them.

The use of DU mentioned is absolutely horrific and is beyond comprehension that they can rid their stockpiles of it by dumping it on Iraq and Afgan (and now Libya)and get away with it!!

I recommend this article: http://tuberose.com/Depleted_Uranium.html

Look out for the section on Doug Rouke who was tasked with testing DU and its effect on army vehicles and the environment, who is now not in very good health..

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hi It's All Lies,
      agreed, it's a shocking film and hard to imagine this goes on an on while the world turns undisturbed…
      Concerning DU: not only "war" regions are affected, but also military testing sites. One of the biggest NATO sites worldwide, Quirra on the Italian Island of Sardegna, is creating its own Fallujah.
      NATO member states can rent the site for insane amounts and test ALL kinds of missiles there without knowledge of the local population. Cancer cases and deformities are way higher than what could be statistically expected.
      An Italian professor made a study. Especially interesting are pages 3-6:

• arclight arclight

saved .. nice find bnb

"…When DU bombs detonate, uranium oxide is formed in particulates of between 0.5 and 5 microns. These can be windborne several hundred miles or suspended electrostatically in the atmosphere. The size of the particles varies greatly; larger fragments can be easily observed, while very fine particles are smaller than dust and can be inhaled and taken into the lungs.
        29,30
        Whether large enough to see, or too small to be observed, DU particles and
        oxides contained in the body are all subject to various degrees of solubilisation — they
        dissolve in bodily fluids, which act as a solvent. Once dissolved in the blood, about 90% of
        the uranium present will be excreted by the kidney in urine within 24-48 hours.

The 10% M. Zucchetti, "Environmental Pollution and Population Health Effects in the Quirra Area, Sardinia Island (Italy) and the
        Depleted Uranium Case", accepted for publication in Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology. (2005).of DU in blood that is not excreted and retained by the body. Insoluble uranium oxides can remain in the lungs for years.
        Concerning chemical toxicity, Uranium, being an heavy metal, is known to have toxic effects on specific organs in the body:…"

• arclight arclight

weve had alot of lead in the air in europe this year i suspect so this was interesting too..

"..The effects on the kidney from uranium resemble the toxic effects caused by
          other heavy metals, such as lead or cadmium. .."

very useful danke bnb

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hi arc, I noticed the study thanks to a radio report. They interviewed family members of ill people. As the military keeps denying the use of DU on the site, one family had their dead grandfather (who was a shepherd and had his flock of sheep grazing along the fences for years) unearthed and had an autopsy performed.
          He was full "to the rim" with uranium.

• Uranium binds to DNA and acts like an antenna, focusing gamma radiation on to it. When you have a nuclear catastrophe (like now), the effects of uranium are MUCH worse than it would be otherwise.

With people eating and drinking gamma emitters, uranium is focusing all that internal radiation directly on DNA.

• HoTaters HoTaters

2 It's All Lies, yes, and they're burning the DU all over the U.S. Found a link to a blog site linking to U.S. government doc showing the 35+ locations in the U.S. where it was being burned as of 2005.

There's another blog site showing a map of all the sites where the D.U. is burned. I can't find it right now. It links to a map published by the military showing the sites.

Was horrified to learn this. That was like the nail in the coffin, for me. I happen to be in one of the few areas in the U.S. NOT downwind of this. I knew the nuke industry and weapons program was corrupt — now I know w/o the shadow of a doubt they have utter disregard for our lives and safety. I can't even imagine what goes on in the minds of people who manage these programs. It's so sick and twisted I can't even wrap my mind around it.

• mungo mungo

i totally believe this report HOWEVER we do need evidence for this that is conclusive, or else how can we tell the non believers? (that wasnt a religious thing, i mean us believers of radiation)

• It's All Lies It's All Lies

Hi BreadAndButter,

It is sad but true that we turn a blind eye to what goes on and think that it will affect us.. I think it was the article I put a link to that DU used in the Shock and Awe campaign in Iraq was detected just a few days later here in the UK..

That link you sent was very interesting!! I'd heard of testing grounds in Ireland/Scotland & Australia but not in Italy..
    Even the military says people assembling DU equipment should be protected!

I read about one guy who was based in Iraq but not in combat got sick from DU and it slowly killed him but he never got cancer.
    It was really sad.

Through some DU articles there was mention of the USA using a tactical nuke in Gulf War 1 in the desert in the height of the war so it would be unnoticeable in order to stop a convoy of weapons going into Iran.

It also mentioned the same weapons being used in Afghanistan in 2001 in the Tora Bora caves.The people they interviewed mentioned radiation sickness, birds dead in trees and some tested positive to uranium exposure but not the DU kind.

Makes me think that if they are willing to do that, DU use would seem quite minor compared!

• arclight arclight

Health Status of Indigenous People Around the Jadugoda Uranium Mines

Conclusion

".The finding of the study confirms the hypotheses that the health of indigenous people around uranium mining is more vulnerable to certain health problems. The major finding of the study shows that:

Primary sterility is more common in the people residing near uranium mining operations area.
    More children with congenital deformities are being born to mothers and congenital defect as a cause of death of a child is also high among mothers living near uranium mining operations area.
    Cancer as a cause of death is more common in villages surrounding uranium operations.
    The life expectancy of people living near uranium mining operations area is less; as a result more people are dying in their early ages in villages around uranium mining operation area.
    The health of indigenous people around uranium mining areas is more vulnerable in spite of the fact that their economic and educational status is better as compared to reference villages.

In addition to radiation hazards, the chemical hazards of uranium need a close scrutiny.."

cont

• arclight arclight

Jaduguda's hapless children
      "..GURIA IS a dark-eyed little girl, who lies on a rope bed in the shade of her house, waiting for her daddy to come home. She grins as she sees him, and those dark eyes light up. Her father returns his daughter's smile as he picks her up in his arms. But his eyes are filled with tears…"

"..Guria can't speak. Nor can she walk. She can't feed herself. Her hands — if you can call them hands — are bent and quiver. Her legs are useless. But her eyes reach out.

Her father pedals a rickshaw for a living. He earns around £12 a month. He tells me he will do all he can for Guria, while he's alive. But when he dies, what then?

Guria is seven years old. A stone's throw from her house, another girl lies on another bed made of rope. She is 23. She is like Guria, save for the fact she also seems to be in pain. She gasps for breath; her look is anguished. She is fully dressed in her outdoor clothes, but she never goes anywhere, never has been anywhere. For 23 years this has been her life. .."

• arclight arclight

STUDY ON HEALTH STATUS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLE
        AROUND JADUGODA URANIUM MINES IN INDIA

• HoTaters HoTaters

In India, the "Untouchable" class is considered to be barely human. The word for them, Dalit means hopelessly shattered, like a broken vessel, useless.

"Where and How They Live

Covered from head to toe in human waste, a bare-chested man climbs from the sewer in the center of a crowded street. As people cringe at the stench, he walks through the streets looking for water to clean his body. This is a day in the life of a Dalit.

A small girl walks barefoot around a half-starved dog lying in her path. She picks her way over garbage and sewer-sodden ground as she approaches the rag hut that is her home. She is unaware that life could be lived any other way. This is a day in the life of a Dalit."

These people are held in such low esteem in the social order they are forced to do dangerous work like smelting iron without any protection — often working in their bare feet. If they are injured, they are simply discarded by their employers, and left to die or fend for themselves. Often their families are left with no means of support.

• arclight arclight

Report on the 4th Indigenous Uranium Forum

"..ONUW Project Director Mike Begay considers the health care services available to the mining communities to be poor. For instance, he says there is only one pulmonary (lung) specialist to serve the entire reservation at the Shiprock Public Health Service Hospital, and that physician has general care responsibilities, so is only half time in the specialty. In addition the Shiprock hospital is not equipped to perform the full range of pulmonary tests, and patients sometimes must travel hundreds of miles to Albuquerque for treatment. Epidemiological studies indicate an unmistakable cluster of lung cancer cases in the vicinity of Shiprock and Cove.

In November, 1990 Mike Begay said that so far the Office of Navajo Uranium Workers has mainly been working on establishing the registry of those who worked in the mines. They have been holding meetings in various communities near uranium facilities, publicized by local newspapers and radio stations. Begay estimated that in the area of Cove and Red Valley they had registered about 90 miners and that there are about that many miners from those communities not yet registered…"

• arclight arclight

Disability, Feminism and Eugenics:
    Who has the right to decide who should or should not inhabit the world?

".. I hear you howl: what has this got to do with us today in humane compassionate Australia, the land of a fair go? Well, I argue: lots. Firstly eugenics practices throughout the 20th century have persistent links with the medical profession's long distaste of disability, deformity and any abnormality, inherited or acquired. Secondly, these practices can only be fostered in societies where disability-phobia persists, and includes Australia 1996, despite disability discrimination legislation and all of the improvements in community integration and support services that have been implemented in the past 25 years.

Blatant eugenics policies aimed at the elimination of disabilities through sterilisation programmes have been introduced in China and Japan in the past 5 years. China's public health programme aimed at eradicating "inferior births" consists of the screening of all pregnant women for foetal abnormalities, if abnormality is detected the mother is to be coerced into having an abortion and sterilised to prevent her from producing other such children. .."

interesting read

are we getting rid of the autistic spectrum disorders too!! :(

• arclight arclight

be interesting to get Bibigul`s position on the above article? might put a different perspective on things.. thats if the kazahkstan government doesnt bring in even tougher eugenics policies :(

• HoTaters HoTaters

The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or, the The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or, the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life. Modern of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life, by Charles Darwin

This says it all, and it is why I'm no fan of Charles Darwin.

Note the part about, "the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life."

Henry Clay wrote a book in the 1800's filled with similar arguments about the superiority of some races over others.

Darwin's ideas were used as a pretext for all kinds of genocide committed against indigenous peoples (like the Aborigines in Australia, and African tribal groups). There was actually a "heirarchy" with whites at the top. Imagine, and we're just a shade of off-white anyway.

There is only one race, the Human Race. That's why I check "other" on the EEO or EOE form questions, and add "human" for race. I refuse to buy into this stuff.

• Tumrgrwer Tumrgrwer

WTF, Cancer insurance? I've never heard of such a thing. The health insurance companies must be conected at the hip of nuclear power to create such a thing. I'm from Northern California, up in the boonies and maybe I'm a day late and a few radionuclides short. Where can I apply for some of that cancer insurance.

• daemonaquila

You don't want it. Cancer policies are the snake oil of the sleazy side of the insurance industry. They're mostly sold to the poor and uninsured, in areas where there is lousy education and literacy. They do an a la carte insurance scheme – buy a policy for burial, for cancer, for heart attack, etc. Parents kill themselves to pay for these low-cost policies not only for themselves, but for all their kids. If and when it comes time to pay out, the amounts payable are pathetic, often less than what has been paid to the company to maintain the policy.

I worked on a large class-action lawsuit against one of these companies, and it was sad to see what people had been scammed into paying for.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

spot on daemonaquila. Which is also why obamacare will go down in history as the biggest ripoff of the working-class poor. Studies have shown that health insurance coverage is only used to give adequate medical care to upper-middle class (and above) recipients, when needed. Working poor are shuttled from emergency room – to pill bottle – to grave. These studies (covered in the WSJ) followed cardiac care patients, and revealed that hospitals and insurance companies virtually ignored the medical needs of poor working-class people. From day one, I told people that obamacare was only instituted to force working people into covering the losses of the health insurance industry…

• lam335 lam335

Where is the Catholic Church on Fukushima? There is so much injustice to so many people, including in particular children and babies both born and unborn. They could use their moral authority to awaken many in the world to the true humanitarian crisis that continues to unfold in Japan. But I haven't heard the pope or bishops (or anyone else) say very much at all about it.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@lam335: given the array of crimes and other injustices that the 'church' has not spoken out on…this surprises you?

• richard richard

hi Iam335 – no disrespect intended to anyone here, i just wonder if the Catholic church holds any sway in Japan, which is not a Catholic realm.

Again, I mean no disrespect – but I often feel that christians think the whole world is the same and follows their 'sport'. There needs to be an awareness that we don't.

That said, you'd hope that at least on a humanitarium angle the popes et al would say something about the displaced and dis-eased people of Fukushima.

For me, the whole silence thing, from Fuku to New York, across europe and to the vatican – just reeks of high handed corruption. The echelon seem to think we deserve nothing but bread and circuses.

There needs to be a new paradigm. We can no longer let these 'powers' that be railroad us anymore. The table needs to be turned, we have to start telling them how the game will be played.

Here's an idea, why doesn't some Catholic contact the pope and tell him what needs to be done. To make a stand. To call the politicans to order. I wonder how receptive they'll be.

I see Anne did a thorough job of locating fuku news from religious groups. But I can't say I saw any comment from a 'leader', they were mostly (very good) reports from concerned, everyday people.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone in that rave. Apologies in advance if I have.

• lam335 lam335

Richard, thanks for your response. WIth regard to Japan, I don't think the issue is how much "sway" the Church has over there. Of course most there are not Christian, but it's not about who is Christian and who is not. It's about who is human. Insofar as the Church is Christian, they have an obligation to do "works of mercy," including so-called "corporal works of mercy" (i.e., ministering to people's physical needs) regardless what creed those people subscribe to (remember Mother Theresa in India? I doubt very many of the people she ministered to were Christians, let alone Catholics.) Going along with this, the Church–especially many of its "lay" and non-clergy religious members–understand themselves as having a duty to work for social justice and to speak out when gross injustice is being done to innocent people (again, not just when the victims are members of their own faith, but anytime significant injustice is being perpetrated against human beings.) There is SO MUCH injustice in this whole mess . . . Yet, the world is ignoring it–the media, the governments, as well as most organized religions. Even if they have no direct influence on the powers-that-be over there, they could call the world's attention to it and force people to think about what has been happening to so many innocent people, how they might be helped, and how things might be changed to ensure that such a human tragedy never again occurs.

• richard richard

thanks lam335 for the understanding, I was concerned I was pushing it a little too far.

Yes, it's another level of denial. Even just some heart felt words for the Fukushima refugees would help. But it would seem that anything like that would be accepting that nukes have caused a 'hiccup' in the system. We just can't have now, can we.

• lam335 lam335

As I mentioned below, I also think if American Catholics were made aware of the fact that widespread abortions tend to follow in the wake of nuclear disasters, it might also wake them up to the broader issue of nuclear power and whether it is really an acceptable energy source. No other type of energy-related disaster causes the sort of despair that drives women to this act, because no other type has the potential to permanently damage the very genetic code that one generation passes on to the next. No other type of power can taint an entire nation's food supply, so that their children are compelled to ingest more and more cesium with every meal. No other type can render broad swaths of a country uninhabitable, leaving thousands homeless and robbed of their livelihood. It's not just a technical or an economic question. It is very much a moral question.

• Net

Hi Lam, I agree, but what about the US? The US is interfering with so many countries, yet the US doesn't say a peep about the protesters in Japan, and the dangers the Japanese are facing. We show the protestors all day long in the Middle East- it's despicable how the media is not doing their job. I do wish someone would use their authority to awaken the world to the true humanitarian crisis unfolding in Japan, and in our oceans. Fukishima affects the whole world. I feel sad for the Japanese people. I hope things will somehow get better- they need a miracle.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@Net: "…they need a miracle." We – all – need a miracle…

• lam335 lam335

I agree with you about the US, though in the case of the US there are all kinds of money and military-related interests (including much corruption) that explains the official decision to look the other way. It's disgusting and disillusioning, but the underlying reasons are at least comprehensible. But the Church doesn't have a military-industrial complex–the closest thing they have is the Swiss guys in the orange pantaloons. And, unlike members of Congress and the President, bishops, cardinals, and popes don't need campaign funds from the nuke industry to be appointed/elected. I don't see any reason why the Vatican should not speak up more about the injustices that are occurring in northern Japan. They don't even necessarily have to take a stand on nuclear power per se to address matters like the evacuation of vulnerable populations, especially children, the rights of displaced people, the society's obligation to monitor children's health and secure clean food at least for young people, and, yes, this tragedy that so many women feel they have no alternative but to abort their babies. Perhaps there is some church organization that could offer alternatives, including finding people willing to adopt/care for such children.

More broadly, if more US Catholics were aware of this, they might pay more attention to Fukushima, AND they might even start to think deeply about the morally problematic nature of nuclear power more generally. Right now, many are blind to …

• lam335 lam335

… Right now, many are blind to the connection between the moral commitments of their faith, on the one hand, and this particular form of energy production, on the other.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@lam335: you'd be advised to heed this site's admonition against any religious discussion. But since you've taken it upon yourself to infer that religious entities may be of some value in addressing the ongoing catastrophe at Fukushima, I'll submit the following and move on:

Again…given its silence on so many other relevant issues, how is it possible that you'd think the 'church' would find its 'moral' compass on this issue? At this point in history, how can anyone paint the picture that they are somehow an impartial social entity? They are one of the reasons we're here! They've stood by over these many centuries and remained virtually mute while innumerable crimes and injustices were perpetrated by the power elite. They've only come forward on safe issues; issues that don't necessarily challenge the powerful. And while they may be one of the longest players in this game, I don't necessarily aim such recrimination at the Catholic Church, as most-every 'accredited' religious institution is now a part of the power elite's controlled opposition.

I have utmost respect for those who live in the light (bearers of truth), but utter contempt for those who claim to be the 'protectors' of it…

• lam335 lam335

re:"you'd be advised to heed this site's admonition against any religious discussion"

I understand the ban on "religious discussion" to cover discussions of theology and attempts to proselytize, and I am not doing either. The fact is, religious institutions exist in our society, and, insofar as they are organized institutions, they can play a role in motivating people to action or at least raising people's awareness of social problems that call for a moral response. I agree with you that the particular institution to which I have been referring has indeed fallen short many times in its long history, but that is true of virtually every powerful institution that has ever existed, and it says nothing about the potential for its adherents to act to make a difference once they have seen the relationship between their moral principles and circumstances in the world around them that are creating (or have the potential to create) suffering on a vast scale. Nuclear power is unique in the scale of suffering it can cause when things go wrong. It is not morally indifferent, and therefore those people whose responsibility it is to guide people on moral matters should not be indifferent to it.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

all good lam335. You seem well considered in your opinions, so there's no point in further challenging your intent. And regardless who's bringing-about a better world, I sincerely hope you and yours do well…

• lam335 lam335

Thanks for your note. With regard to my intent: aside from wanting to see institutions live up to their principles, I want to broaden the coalition of people who see the truth about nuclear power and oppose it. This is something that ought to cut across all demographic, ideological, and other lines, and I particularly want to reach those people who tend to either uncritically support or wholly ignore it, including conservatives, libertarians, and people of faith who just haven't taken the time to learn/think about the subject … There are so many arguments against nuclear power–moral, economic, environmental … The key is to help people who fall into each of these various categories see that, given the values/principles they say they espouse, support for nuclear power is untenable on their own terms. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a moral question, and I want good people who just haven't been paying attention to see this and start to demand change.